Rocky or Raging Bull?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

even the soundtrack of rocky, its already a win

Comment

Raging Bull was one of the best all time movies ever and totally realistic...Rocky was was a very good B movie that was not very realistic at all.

Comment

Rocky is hands down one of the most overrated films ever.

Raging Bull is one of the greatest films ever.

Comment

Rocky is the American dream.

Raging Bull is the reality.

Both excellent films.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            Rocky was was a very good B movie that was not very realistic at all.
            I wouldn't exactly call it a B movie - That's a term that immediately conjures up images of 'Dolemite', 'Blacula', or 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

I would also argue that 'Rocky' was indeed realistic. Though in story, not in action. Liston/Ali, Tyson/Douglas, Rahman/Lewis, Braddock/Baer - Colossal upsets happen in boxing (and sports in general) all the time.

Furthermore all of the storylines throughout the entire series' history is actually based on events and relationships that actually existed in boxing : 'Rocky' is based on Joe Frazier and 'Apollo Creed' is based on Muhammad Ali. Their fight in the first film is loosely based on the Ali/Wepner film. The realtionship between 'Rocky' and his trainer 'Mickey' is based on the relationship that Mike Tyson and Cus D'Amato had down to the point where many of 'Mickey's lines are word for word things that D'Amato said to Tyson. (This is most evident in 'Rocky 5')

@ 1:15

Compared to @ 0:33

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              'Raging Bull' is a cinematic masterpiece. A brutally visceral character study that is aided by stellar performances, beautiful cinematography, an introspective soundtrack, and precise yet abstruse editing.

On the other hand, 'Rocky' is no chump, either. It's a powerful and aesthetically significant work of fiction loosely based on real life underdogs aided by understate performances, simplistic techniques, and a stellar soundtrack.

I'd go with 'Raging Bull' because it appeals to me more on an artistic and technical level, but I think that too many film fans underestimate the cultural significance of 'Rocky', simply because in retrospect it's become something of a cliched story. It's still by far the quintessential underdog story, and Stallone's montages are still as powerful now as they ever were.
              when i saw this thread i was tempted to post 'ìn b4 bringer rips this ****'. i should have.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                I wouldn't exactly call it a B movie - That's a term that immediately conjures up images of 'Dolemite', 'Blacula', or 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

I would also argue that 'Rocky' was indeed realistic. Though in story, not in action. Liston/Ali, Tyson/Douglas, Rahman/Lewis, Braddock/Baer - Colossal upsets happen in boxing (and sports in general) all the time.

Furthermore all of the storylines throughout the entire series' history is actually based on events and relationships that actually existed in boxing : 'Rocky' is based on Joe Frazier and 'Apollo Creed' is based on Muhammad Ali. Their fight in the first film is loosely based on the Ali/Wepner film. The realtionship between 'Rocky' and his trainer 'Mickey' is based on the relationship that Mike Tyson and Cus D'Amato had down to the point where many of 'Mickey's lines are word for word things that D'Amato said to Tyson. (This is most evident in 'Rocky 5')

@ 1:15

Compared to @ 0:33

Rocky was just a low level club fighter...he never would have been given a shot at a "Ali" type champion...and Stallone in my opinion looked silly trying to look like a boxer. Raging Bull fight scenes were shot in a way that did not put enough into it to make it a big part of the story and used body doubles so De Niro never got to look bad.

Raging Bull was a movie that would have be considered great even by someone who was not at all a boxing fan.

Comment

I simply can not watch Raging Bull. I don't appreciate it but I also don't watch many films, and none from anything pre early 80's. I hear it is a masterpiece but no matter how hard I try, I can't leave it on. Rocky however, I loved. The story just satisfies my needs. I love it. Cheesy, yes, bit brilliant.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
                    I simply can not watch Raging Bull. I don't appreciate it but I also don't watch many films, and none from anything pre early 80's. I hear it is a masterpiece but no matter how hard I try, I can't leave it on. Rocky however, I loved. The story just satisfies my needs. I love it. Cheesy, yes, bit brilliant.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                    it means youre not a serious film fan...

Comment

Working...
                    X