Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the general public stop caring about boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's just my point. We hear so many complaints about what boxing has become, but the only way things MIGHT change for the better is if fans make it so that it stops being lucrative. I say boycott until boxing is the sport it once was. I know, people would have to turn away in droves for a long time for any of these changes to happen and this is just wishful thinking but, for the most part, I refuse to watch fighters that don't try to become lineal or Ring champions and only go for one alphabet belt. If they win all 4 majors, then I might start to watch them as well. Other than that, I might watch a newer boxer that gets a lot of knockouts.

Comment

i would say that the general public threw its arms into the air and gave up on boxing when the ibc was investigated by the federal government and brought to trial and was indicted on numerous charges. After the public learned of the fixed fights and monopoly that the ibc had on the game along with all of the shady people involved they just said its fixed and walked away. The dismantling of the ibc certainly helped to clean up the game yet the stigma of the 40s-50s of a crooked business always stuck. For years it has stood with little integrity in the publics eyes.

get rid of 60 or so of the bull**** world titles and boxing might not resemble a 3-ringed circus as it is percieved now by john q public.
      Last edited by Rockin'; 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm 36 just like the author of this thread and I can relate to what he's saying. When people talk about boxing it is just either Mayweather or Pacman. When I think back on my youth this is a sad state, Yes, Mayweather and Pac are good. But, where's the Tyson's, the Leonard's, the Hearns, the Chavez's(Although we do have JC jr.), the Whitaker's, the Hagler's, the Duran's, the "young" Holyfield's, the Holmes etc. We have 2 superstar boxers who are basically just "little" guys. It's pathetic!! I'm not even much of a fan of either one, myself. I think if we had more boxing coverage like we did in the '70's and '80's we would have more exposure to young talent. Boxing would for sure become hot again. HBO and other networks need to focus on the whole sport rather than just 2 famous boxers.
        Last edited by Mintcar923; 06-12-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X