Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fights Where a Fighter Used the Wrong Strategy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Nunn James Toney, Terry Norris Simon Brown 1, Leonard, Duran 1.

Comment

Tim Bradley trying to sit there like a cobra and walk Manny Pacquiao into single shots in their third fight.

Keeping his feet moving, bouncing, touching Pacquiao as much as possible while using his defense to keep Manny from landing big shots is how got the UD in the first fight and did well in the second until he got injured.

Why Atlas thought Bradley, a famously soft puncher, would be able to sit there and knock Pacquiao out as he came in a la Marquez absolutely blows my mind.

Comment

Some really good responses in this thread.

I think Vasily Jirov should have used his legs and boxed more versus James Toney. He was certainly capable. Not for a full 12 but if he mixed it in, he might’ve won more close rounds. Instead he tried to prove he was the bigger, stronger man who could outwork Toney on the inside. Suicide.

Comment

Corrales against Castillo.. even though he won Chico had a horrible strategy. he tried to do the same sht in rematch and got sparked.

Pacquiao against Floyd.. one of Floyd's easiest wins due to Manny thinking he could box with Floyd. i expected the Tasmanian devil to come out instead he tried to play chess. Floyd reduced him to a sparring partner.

Hopkins against Taylor 1..Bhop started way too fckn late.

Oscar against Floyd.. DLH had sucess with the jab and gave up on it.

Comment

Berto trying the shoulder roll with guerrero

Comment

Parker vs Joshua, JP gave away 6" in reach and decided to try to box from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Some really good responses in this thread.

I think Vasily Jirov should have used his legs and boxed more versus James Toney. He was certainly capable. Not for a full 12 but if he mixed it in, he might’ve won more close rounds. Instead he tried to prove he was the bigger, stronger man who could outwork Toney on the inside. Suicide.
                You never, never, never fight James Toney on the inside. I'd even favor him over Duran, the best inside fighter of all time, because of the size difference. Lights Out was so much fun to watch on the inside, back when fighters fought on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                  Corrales against Castillo.. even though he won Chico had a horrible strategy. he tried to do the same sht in rematch and got sparked.

Pacquiao against Floyd.. one of Floyd's easiest wins due to Manny thinking he could box with Floyd. i expected the Tasmanian devil to come out instead he tried to play chess. Floyd reduced him to a sparring partner.

Hopkins against Taylor 1..Bhop started way too fckn late.

Oscar against Floyd.. DLH had sucess with the jab and gave up on it.
                  I can't figure out why he abandoned the jab like that. Very stupid move.

Comment

I'd say Gassiev used the wrong strategy on Saturday. However, I'm not sure that a different strategy would have won him the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                      Name fights where one fighter used the wrong strategy and paid for it.

Edwin Rodriguez went out to destroy Thomas Williams, Jr. in the early going of their fight and got crushed in the process, bowing a title shot.

Tommy Morrison hit Ray Mercer with huge shots early on but failed to pace himself and got caught, leading to one of the most brutal KO losses in boxing history.

Sugar Ray Leonard chose to fight Roberto Duran toe-to-toe in their first bout, thinking he could run over him since he was the bigger man. However, things didn't work out that way at all.
                      Are we quite sure La Bomba knows what the word 'strategy' means?

Comment

Working...
                      X