Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wtf.... any pointers with the left hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wtf.... any pointers with the left hook?

when you are throwing a left hook from orthodox stance do you guys push off with your right and twist at the same time????....I cant seem to generate a lot of power without bringing my elbow back and i know im not supposed to be doing that......my footwork doesnt feel right....does any body have any pointers????????

I have aproblem with the 1,2,3...after a jab and straight my momentum is carrying me forward and i have a hard time turning and twisting to throw the hook properly and with power.......

Originally posted by Detroit101 View Post
    I have aproblem with the 1,2,3...after a jab and straight my momentum is carrying me forward and i have a hard time turning and twisting to throw the hook properly and with power.......
    Your momentum should not be carrying you forward. Your weight should remain on your back foot when you throw. Drive your rear foot into the ground, shift your hips, and use that power to propel your punch. If you are leaning into the cross or shifting your weight forward on your straight punches, you will not be able to throw the hook in a combo, as you will be off-balance.

With the left hook, twist the ball of your left foot like you're crushing out a cigarette. Again, don't lean into it; let your arm transfer the force of your body.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
      Your momentum should not be carrying you forward. Your weight should remain on your back foot when you throw. Drive your rear foot into the ground, shift your hips, and use that power to propel your punch. If you are leaning into the cross or shifting your weight forward on your straight punches, you will not be able to throw the hook in a combo, as you will be off-balance.

With the left hook, twist the ball of your left foot like you're crushing out a cigarette. Again, don't lean into it; let your arm transfer the force of your body.

I hope this helps.
      That is wrong, your weight should always be balanced equally between your front and back foot.

It sounds to me like you have a weak core. I had the same problem when I started, you are not strong enough in the mid section to change directions quickly.

Comment

Working...
      X