No announcement yet.

quesion about left hook and jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quesion about left hook and jab

for the left hook should it be somewhat close to your body when you throw it or like loose and away from your body when you going to swing and then bring it in for the hit?

and when jabbing should i be shifting my body weight to the right( im right handed) cause arent you suppose to shift your weight to the opposite side that you are punching???

and should i be practicing my punches one by one aswell as combos or just in combos, the trainer at my gym always wants me doing combos but i dont feel like my form is being perfected so wheni practice at home i practice one by one and put them in combos.

my trainer always tells me not to throw single punch. not even a single jab. if you wanna jab? throw two of them. bam bam! you gotta be able to throw two jabs and get away from opponents range in a second. try practicing combos, it will improve your speed and speed is more important then power.

and when jabbing, I shift my body weight to my left hand(I'm right handed and I jab with my left hand as normal). why would you shift it to the right? if you do, your jab wouldn't be effective enough.

Comment

When it comes to left hooks, you have 2 different options. You can throw a short hook, but only if you are on the inside. If you are at jab range you can always surprise your opponent with a long range left hook and maybe follow up with a strong straight right hand. It's a matter of distance.

Comment

"cause arent you suppose to shift your weight to the opposite side that you are punching???"

Well for a lead hand hook for instance, you'd want to load up on your lead leg, then shift weight over to your rear leg as the punch connects. Jabs are different though, you don't want to be shifting weight side to side since it's a straight punch. You can step into the shot if you want some more pop to it. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X