No announcement yet.

Thurman doesnt watch boxing not a fan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    While Thurman always sounds to me like someone who was left permanently disabled in a car wreck, I have heard that Carlos Ortiz didn't like Boxing. No lie.

I can't tell you where I heard that. And I can't be bothered to track it down. So take it as you will. But it does provide insight, if you wish to believe it.

I think it's a reflection of the investment of their lives. They need that minute away. Time NOT to talk shop. Get their heads cleared.
    When I was training at the local gym gym 5 days/wk the last thing I wanted to do was study tape.

Most greats are willing to have a single minded focus on boxing.

Pro fighting is extremely hard and a huge commitment.
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 06-28-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Misleading title.....

He's not a fan of WATCHING boxing, along with ALL SPORTS.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post

Run Time

Comment

There are a lot of sportsmen,not only in boxing, who don't particularly like what they do.Getting smacked around the head or watching it happen doesn't appeal to all.But you can get good money in boxing doing it and for many boxers that is the determining factor for taking it up in the first place.No shame in that either.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            When I was training at the local gym gym 5 days/wk the last thing I wanted to do was study tape.

Most greats are willing to have a single minded focus on boxing.

Pro fighting is extremely hard and a huge commitment.
            Yeah.

To be hones, the day I became a wrestling coach was the day I decided to watch tape to evluate the competition, instead of run until I puked.

Looking back, I dunno why I didn't become a coach as early as 9th grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Yea I can understand. Probably on boxing overload at times.

But to me I think its a massive benefit to be as familiar with opponents & styles & situations they've dealt with in other fights & just a million intangible things one might be able to pick up from a fight of ones opponent or potential opponents.

I just think whatever level you are capable of reaching watching more opponents & having a deeper knowledge of those in your division is gonna make you some % better than what you are capable of.
              I agree. In fact, in 2019, I'll go so far as to say you're not serious about your career if you're not studying the tape.

Think about the phenom that was Mike Tyson. The dude devoured tape. People make fun of him and portray him as a monster. But that's not really who he is/was. His study of fighters really provided him depth. I still can't believe we saw a fighter at that weight that great so young. That was footage he acquired w/o the internet, in the early days of VHS. Kinda like using futuristic warfare aganst his opponents.

Jerry Quarry comes to mind as a dude who also really knew the game. His commentary was mint. Supposedly that ass clown, Cosell, king of the cucks, wanted Quarry out at CBS(or whatever company they were at) because of the competition Jerry presented. Still, that guy, for all his apparent knowledge, had a habit of doing the wrong thing inside the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                I agree. In fact, in 2019, I'll go so far as to say you're not serious about your career if you're not studying the tape.

Think about the phenom that was Mike Tyson. The dude devoured tape. People make fun of him and portray him as a monster. But that's not really who he is/was. His study of fighters really provided him depth. I still can't believe we saw a fighter at that weight that great so young. That was footage he acquired w/o the internet, in the early days of VHS. Kinda like using futuristic warfare aganst his opponents.

Jerry Quarry comes to mind as a dude who also really knew the game. His commentary was mint. Supposedly that ass clown, Cosell, king of the cucks, wanted Quarry out at CBS(or whatever company they were at) because of the competition Jerry presented. Still, that guy, for all his apparent knowledge, had a habit of doing the wrong thing inside the ring.

Especially in today’s game , the opportunity to exploit someone just off of tape is a tremendous advantage that can be exploited to the max
                Like every other sport , watching tape is not the greatest pleasure for today’s professional athlete but it is different than the vhs days
                Behind every bench their are iPads , coaches watching instant replays and whatnot
                It’s easier for today to actually do that work on your own time , back in the day you were locked up in a darkened room watching that One tape

Comment

Working...
                X