No announcement yet.

Jewish greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish greats

hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
    Abe Attell
    Abe Goldstein
    Al McCoy
    Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
    Ben Jeby
    Barney Ross
    Battling Levinsky
    Benny Bass
    Benny Leonard
    Bob Olin
    Charley Rosenberg
    Harry Lewis
    Harry Harris
    Izzy Shwartz
    Jack Bernstein
    Jackie Berg
    Jackie Fields
    Louis "Kid" Kaplan
    Maxie Rosenbloom
    Monte Attell
    Mushy Callahan
    Pinky Silverberg
    Solly Kreiger
    Ted "Kid" Lewis
    Victor Perez

What about Heavyweight champ Max Baer?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Mas
      What about Heavyweight champ Max Baer?
      I feel u on that

Comment

I read this thing though, apparently it's a myth that he was Jewish. I just posted this story in another thread read it though, not sure if anyone'll get it though:

Contrary to popular opinion, one of the more popular heavyweights, Max Baer, was not Jewish, boxing historians say. Lawrence S. Ritter, author of "East Side, West Side," a chronicle of forgotten sporting clubs in New York, tells in the book of a time when Baer was in a gym hitting a heavy bag on Yom Kippur.

"What are you doing?" a reporter asked Baer, confused.

"Getting ready to fight Primo Carnera," he said.

"What about Yom Kippur?"

"I'll fight him next!" Baer replied

Comment

I have never heard that Max Baer was not Jewish.

That story you related ("Yom Kippur...I'll fight him next") is emblematic of Mr. Baer's sense of humor. That story is probably true, but it doesn't reveal that Baer was not Jewish, it reveals a bit about Baer's personality - nothing serious, life is a ball, make a joke every chance I get.

Roxy, watch one of Baer's fights -- on his fighting trunks Baer wore the biggest Star of David you will ever see. You explain to me why that was there. Also, his fight against Schmeling was seen as the Jew vs. the Nazi.

Maybe Max might have been half-Jewish (I don't know), but Mr. Max Baer was a hell of a lot more Jewish than the Pope (that I'm certain of).

Comment

na I wasn't saying the story was evidence of him not being Jewish, what I've heard is that his father was Jewish which would make him a gentile.

In the crazy Jew world you're only Jewish if your mother is Jewish, weather you are religiously Jewish or not. That's why, Mike Rossman had a gentile father and a Jewish mother so he was Jewish. Had it been reversed he wouldn't be Jewish

Maybe I have it wrong maybe Baer did have a Jewish mother I dunno I've just always heard that it was really that he only had a Jewish father

Comment

Roxy, I'll take your word that Baer might have been half-Jewish. Whether his mother was Jewish or his father was Jewish, Max Baer sure felt he was Jewish -- that Star of David he wore on his shorts could be seen a mile away. Max Baer was definitely proud of his roots.

Comment

na I don't doubt it for a second. Technically, I'm only half-Jewish (my father is Italian), I lucked out havin a Jewish mother, lots of Jews give me crap sayin I'm not a real Jew because I don't have two Jewish parents. Same way I'm half Italian and couldn't be prouder of my roots either way.

Comment

Originally posted by roXy graziano
                  hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
                  Abe Attell
                  Abe Goldstein
                  Al McCoy
                  Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
                  Ben Jeby
                  Barney Ross
                  Battling Levinsky
                  Benny Bass
                  Benny Leonard
                  Bob Olin
                  Charley Rosenberg
                  Harry Lewis
                  Harry Harris
                  Izzy Shwartz
                  Jack Bernstein
                  Jackie Berg
                  Jackie Fields
                  Louis "Kid" Kaplan
                  Maxie Rosenbloom
                  Monte Attell
                  Mushy Callahan
                  Pinky Silverberg
                  Solly Kreiger
                  Ted "Kid" Lewis
                  Victor Perez
                  your missing bob schneider, altho he wasnt considered a "great" he wasnt that bad, won canada the gold in mens boxing in 1920 olympics in belgium

Comment

According to fighters who shared locker rooms with him, he was definitely NOT Jewish. I don't think I need to go into further detail.

Comment

Working...
                    X