No announcement yet.

No helmets after 2012 for amateurs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No helmets after 2012 for amateurs?

I've heard several rumours here in Denmark, that helmets will be forbidden af the Olympic Games in 2012? But I've been searching through the internet, and I have found absolutely NOTHING on the subject. Have you heard, read or anything about this?

I do know about the WSB, but it does not sound like that's what these guys are talking about.

Comment

I really think this rumor is unfounded. There is enough negative stigma towards boxing and that's why we wear headgear in the first place. They would not remove them on the biggest world stage in amateur boxing because it would probably not be received well.

Comment

did you take into consideration that there won't be a world either? End of headgear / end of the world ...samething.

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
          did you take into consideration that there won't be a world either? End of headgear / end of the world ...samething.
          You know that back in the days, amateur boxers did not use headgear? I never said I believed in the rumours, as they did not have a source to back it up. But I still thought it would be interesting to see if there actually would be something about it :-)

Comment

i doubt it. if it was true, there would be articles about it..

Comment

Usa Boxing prides itself on safety, it is their main comcern through it all. There is no way that I could see them not keeping head gear mandatory. It would open too many avenues to be attacked by the public. I was a referee/judge until I had a stroke but I can tell you that one of the first things said to me before beginning was that what we do is all done in keeping the kids safe. Head gears will remain as is in my opinion.........Rockin'

Comment

I was told headgear only prevents cuts and bruises? You still get the head jerking movement which causes damage surely?

I don't know. I would prefer not to wear them to be honest.

Comment

that sounds ******ed. no way its gonna happen

Comment

It wasn't that long ago they nearly outright banned boxing here in the UK. There would be a massive uproar without headgear. So as much as I would like it I'd never heard of the idea, or think it will ever come into place.

Comment

Working...
                    X