How good was Antonio Margarito?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top PRanks

Comment

Not that good. Yes he had an amazing chin and uncanny stamina but he that's about it. He was slow, had little skill, no defense and the power he had is in question due to loaded wraps. A lot of his success was also due to the fact that he was pretty much a middleweight who forced himself down to welterweight. If he didn't have a size advantage, if his opponent was elusive and didn't wear down after 7 rounds or so, he was fucked.

As for the wraps situation- Before he got caught, he was destroying opponents. After he got caught, he won one out of his last three fights and retired because Pac beat him to the point where he looked Chinese. When he was knocking guys out, his punches looked slow and clubbing yet did a lot of damage. I mean for fucks sake he almost ripped a guy's ear off. I'm sorry but that's suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
        He had almost no skill, he had stamina and a good chin but after the loaded gloves scandal he had no power at all
        He loaded his gloves I wouldn't put it past him to juice too. A pathetic cheating lying b*tch is all he is. Power and stamina probably fraudulent

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          How good was he really? He has a couple of losses to no-name fighters.

I see him as a slow, no-defense having plodder. If he was good, he wouldn't have had to resort to loading his gloves.
          He wasn't very good. He was slow, plodding, and threw slow looping punches. The lack of concussive impact on many of the punches in the first Cotto fight, that still put a serious hurt on Cotto, suggests he had something hard in his wraps for that fight as well. Cotto was reacting oddly for such light looking, non-concussive shots to be landing. Also way back in the Lujan fight, when Lujan's ear started getting sheared off. Likely something hard was in the wraps. An ear doesn't get sheared off like that from getting hit with boxing gloves on, unless there is something hard between the knuckle, and the padding of the glove.
          Last edited by The Akbar One; 03-08-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Loaded gloves aside, he was a brutal-leave-it-all-in-the-ring fighter and good to watch. Don't care what anyone says, but the Cotto rematch was a foregone conclusion...he just wasn't there mentally, the gloves incident was like an itch that slowly eroded his heart and desire to win.

Comment

Good enough to make floyd jr. retired temporarily to duck him.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                How good was he really? He has a couple of losses to no-name fighters.

I see him as a slow, no-defense having plodder. If he was good, he wouldn't have had to resort to loading his gloves.
                With or without the wraps?

Comment

He was so dominant in the second half of the Cotto fight and then got destroyed by Mosley for 9 rounds like months after the Cotto performance. Biggest turn around in boxing. Good fights with Williams, Cotto, Cintron, Clottey, then gets manhandled by Mosley on the same night he was caught loading his gloves..idk, sounds fishy to say the least.

Comment

At one point in his career, he was the most feared fighter on the planet....

Comment

For a plodding power puncher with no defense, quite good. I don't see many guys like that, outside of the larger weight classes, who can get to the upper-levels. He had pretty sharp instinct and offensive timing to be able to be able to get where he got. He was otherwise pretty limited though.

Comment

Working...
                      X