No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong v Baby Arizmendi 3

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Armstrong v Baby Arizmendi 3

Henry Armstrong battles with Baby Arizmendi for the 3rd time (1938)

I think it's in fact their fourth fight. They had fought three times previously, Arizmendi winning the first two, Armstrong winning the third.

Here's the fifth fight:

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
      I think it's in fact their fourth fight. They had fought three times previously, Arizmendi winning the first two, Armstrong winning the third.

Here's the fifth fight:

I to claimed it was the 4th fight, but the user who uploaded it said 3rd.....

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
        I to claimed it was the 4th fight, but the user who uploaded it said 3rd.....
        I also used to think it was the third fight.

The commentator too states that it is the third fight (with Arizmendi winning one, Armstrong winning one) but Arizmendi actually twice beat Armstrong early on in their careers. Armstrong avenged the loss three times and the fourth and the fifth fights were filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
          I also used to think it was the third fight.

The commentator too states that it is the third fight (with Arizmendi winning one, Armstrong winning one) but Arizmendi actually twice beat Armstrong early on in their careers. Armstrong avenged the loss three times and the fourth and the fifth fights were filmed.
          Indeed....They first fought in 1934, then 1935, then the third one was in 1936,fourth one was in 1938, and the 5th one being in 1939.

Arizmendi I find is a rather underrated fighter. He was told he could never box due to a bone disorder of some sort, but ended up proving doctors wrong.

At times early on his career he blew hot and cold, but when on form he was one hell of a fighter. He won the Featherweight World Title(As recognized by the California Athletic Commission) defeating Newsboy Brown on decision. After making a few defences he was defeated by Freddie Miller in bid to capture the NBA Featherweight Title.

But he would go onto capture the NYSAC World featherweight title defeating Mike Belloise.

In his career he had some great wins over great fighters including Henry Armstrong, Chalky Wright, Newsboy Brown and held Sammy Angott to a draw, he also fought some of the best fighters in his era in Lou Ambers and Tony Canzoneri.

I belive he was inducted in the Hall Of Fame class of 2004.....

Here's a picture of him
          Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Here's picture of the two weighing in for one of there battles

Comment

they broke the mould when they made henry armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
                they broke the mould when they made henry armstrong
                Yeah we know. He still wouldn't have beat Billy Conn though.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Yeah we know. He still wouldn't have beat Billy Conn though.
                  do you have a time machine? cos you dont know that for fact, so dont come on here like your **** doesnt stink

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
                    Indeed....They first fought in 1934, then 1935, then the third one was in 1936,fourth one was in 1938, and the 5th one being in 1939.

Arizmendi I find is a rather underrated fighter. He was told he could never box due to a bone disorder of some sort, but ended up proving doctors wrong.

At times early on his career he blew hot and cold, but when on form he was one hell of a fighter. He won the Featherweight World Title(As recognized by the California Athletic Commission) defeating Newsboy Brown on decision. After making a few defences he was defeated by Freddie Miller in bid to capture the NBA Featherweight Title.

But he would go onto capture the NYSAC World featherweight title defeating Mike Belloise.

In his career he had some great wins over great fighters including Henry Armstrong, Chalky Wright, Newsboy Brown and held Sammy Angott to a draw, he also fought some of the best fighters in his era in Lou Ambers and Tony Canzoneri.

I belive he was inducted in the Hall Of Fame class of 2004.....

Here's a picture of him
                    Arizmendi was a great fighter. What surprises me is that even the Mexican fight fans rarely mention his name even though I feel that he is one of the greatest Mexican boxers ever.

I don't think he was ever knocked out, although he was stopped a couple of times. He certainly showed his durability in his two filmed battles against a prime Henry Armstrong.

According to the Ring Magazine he was the youngest person to ever turn professional at around 12 or 13 years of age, perhaps even earlier.

Comment

Working...
                    X