No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Hagler-Hearns...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Hagler-Hearns...

Watching the replay of the fight I'm convinced Hearns fell more from exhaustion and fatigue than Hagler's right hand. It was such a torrid pace. Also, I think he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory that round being he had predicted it would end at that time. But, I think it's because he realized he was totally spent and understood he had used the wrong game-plan. Anyone agree?

he looked pretty shacky at the time of stoppage and probly did not recover from some previous punches but yes the pace was exhausting. He had confindence in his own power and had cut marvin badly. great fight

g

Comment

Hearns probably was exhausted and Hagler deserves credit for never allowing Hearns to get his second wind. Somewhere along the line I believe Hearns really thought he would stop Hagler and perhaps that was his downfall.

Comment

I don't believe so. He fell from exhaustion against Leonard, but while he was shaky against Hagler after the furious pace, he wasn't exhausted. He was still a bit unsteady from the second round and Hagler didn't allow him to recover. That last right hand hit him perfect and if it was just exhaustion he wouldnt have been out like he was. That last right sparked him.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          I don't believe so. He fell from exhaustion against Leonard, but while he was shaky against Hagler after the furious pace, he wasn't exhausted..
          Hearns was a world class fighter, I agree that he was not exhausted in the least bit.

Hearns never quite had his legs under him in the fight.

With abit to go before the fight Hearns' dressing room was packed with trainers and mostly the entourage. Steward had to leave to handle something and when he returned to get Hearns properly warmed up he found Hearns laying face down on a massage table getting his legs rubbed down. Steward pulls his piece and enraged clears the dressing room just minutes before the fight.........Rockin'

Comment

A lot of that exhaustion that might have been there had to do with Hagler beating his ass. I would credit it more to Hagler hurting him.

Comment

Hagler was fed up with being seen as a 2nd tier fighter and not a star. He was gonna kill whoever he fought that night. Hearns just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

Just saying the first right hand that Hagler landed before they went to the ropes just looked like a glancing blow. The "Knockout punch," seemed like a hard shot but it didn't look devastating to me. I'll stick with what I said in that it was a culmination of fatigue, mindset, and Tommy's legs due to the massage. But, I'm not taking anything away from Marvin...

Comment

Up front, I don't believe the massage story. There was some similar story to explain the leonard loss. The simple fact was that Tommy hearns never handled body punches well, not in the first Leonard fight, not against hagler, or barkley, either time. Marvin kicked his ass because he got on him and beat him up, and he'd do it every time they fought, even if emmanuel made sure nobody rubbed Tommy's legs.
                  Who rubbed his legs before the Barkley fight, the first one? Tommy cut him up too, but he was losing that fight. The body punches had his legs well before the last right hand landed in that fight, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    A lot of that exhaustion that might have been there had to do with Hagler beating his ass. I would credit it more to Hagler hurting him.

Hearns is my favourite tied with Joes Frazier and Louis, but I agree with this.

Hearns and Hagler both fought an amazing fight, if short.

Hearns cut Hagler, hit him with his best punches, stumbled him slightly and even threw some flashy moves into the mix.

Hagler took it all and managed to KO Hearns in impressive fashion. Hardly a step backwards, and if he did take one, it was because he got nailed with a punch from one of the hardest P4P hitters in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X