Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    you act like it won't leave you ringing if you are hit by these 18oz gloves, especially when the punches are thrown by one thyat knows how to throw them. point blank, 18 oz gloves will still ring your bell. Agree or disagree? ............Rockin'
    Not nearly as much as it would with 8, 10, or even 12 oz. gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      you act like it won't leave you ringing if you are hit by these 18oz gloves, especially when the punches are thrown by one thyat knows how to throw them. point blank, 18 oz gloves will still ring your bell. Agree or disagree? ............Rockin'
      That is the thing though it will ring your bell not knock you cold

Comment

I have seen guys get knocked out with 18oz gloves, that can definitely happen. I have seen guys get cut with 18oz gloves, that can happen too.

All I'm saying that anyone who says they have ever fought pro, and don't understand the difference between 18 or 16oz sparring gloves with headgear and 8oz or 10 oz gloves and no head gear, has never fought in their life.

It's a world of difference and it's the reason you have had great amateur fighters not do well in the pro ranks. Someone like Rigondaux for example, dominates people when he spars, because it's hard to hurt him with so much protection on and it's only a few rounds of sparring.

Yet he fights a guy in Marroquin, who is a good fighter but isn't on the same level and get's his bell rung not once, but twice in the fight. Small gloves, and no head gear is a completely different game.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          Small gloves, and no head gear is a completely different game.
          Even with headgear, being hit by 12 oz. gloves is much different than 16's or 18's.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
            Not nearly as much as it would with 8, 10, or even 12 oz. gloves.
            but it will leave you ringing

Originally posted by Jamesv3 View Post
            That is the thing though it will ring your bell not knock you cold
            all that I ever said was that it will leave you ringing

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            All I'm saying that anyone who says they have ever fought pro, and don't understand the difference between 18 or 16oz sparring gloves with headgear and 8oz or 10 oz gloves and no head gear, has never fought in their life.
            All that I ever stated was that it will leave you ringing. I fought with no head gear and those small gloves, the **** hurts. Obviousley the smaller glove will be more lethal, immediately cutting off all senses to and from the brain leaving one with no opinion as you crumble in a heap. The larger glove will leave you in a state where your eyes are seeing everything and you react to your situation all the while remembering where you misplaced you favorite toy car right before relocating to a new house to live in as a child.

Originally posted by deejd View Post
            Even with headgear, being hit by 12 oz. gloves is much different than 16's or 18's.
            try 8's n 10s..............Rockin'

Comment

one of nate campbells main sparring partners for the juan baby bull diaz fight where he had the best win of his career. put in a good 30 rounds with him. sparred winky wright before the sam soliman fight but that was just one time 4 rounds. sparred ike quartey leading up to his fight with winky wright ( ike was training at our gym in tampa for the fight). put in a few rounds with edner cherry and keith thurman. thurman wasnt great he just threw bombs i did pretty damn well with countering him. sparred and whooped up alot of lesser pros. okay im done sorry lol

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                one of nate campbells main sparring partners for the juan baby bull diaz fight where he had the best win of his career. put in a good 30 rounds with him. sparred winky wright before the sam soliman fight but that was just one time 4 rounds. sparred ike quartey leading up to his fight with winky wright ( ike was training at our gym in tampa for the fight). put in a few rounds with edner cherry and keith thurman. thurman wasnt great he just threw bombs i did pretty damn well with countering him. sparred and whooped up alot of lesser pros. okay im done sorry lol
                How long ago was that sparring session with keith thurman? Would you say he is progressing from watching his recent fights? He doesnt seem like to throw bombs anymore but box them occasionally throw a hard shot in there.

Comment

mabye it was just my style ive never had trouble with guys with power, at all. guys who get me are just more skilled and and box or have crazy endurance so he was kind of just winging his shots and it intimidates alot of people. i think he is a solid guy who like the business of boxing had a fairly easy path up. he will face a test sooner or later. im not knocking the kid though im a fan and he is exciting. that sparring was probably two year ago.

Comment

think if he learned to use his jab better he would be a world champ.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                      mabye it was just my style ive never had trouble with guys with power, at all. guys who get me are just more skilled and and box or have crazy endurance so he was kind of just winging his shots and it intimidates alot of people. i think he is a solid guy who like the business of boxing had a fairly easy path up. he will face a test sooner or later. im not knocking the kid though im a fan and he is exciting. that sparring was probably two year ago.
                      Could you go into detail about the Winky Wright sparring match, curious to hear about that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X