Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Erik Morales is Not Sure Who Will Lead Mexican Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo & Chavez JR will lead in drawing power, but as far as skills & Resume, it's easily Mares at the top right now.

Comment

Originally posted by theocdog View Post
      Do Mexican-American boxers count as Mexicans? Cuz there's Abner Mares, Robert Guerrero, Victor Ortiz, Brandon Rios, and others.
      Besides his blood, Robert Guerrero is the farthest from a Mexican out of all those.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
        Different era of boxing, you have to take into account the position of major promotions and Media today. Saul may be a Marketable young guy but back then some of those kats had the power to choose to fight many times per year, now every time a major name fights the promotional CO needs 6 months to arrange all the publicity. Its way complex but the basics are that today media is massive and it takes a lot more to pull the public into supporting an event, even if it is a good exciting sport. back in the day it was just assumed that if you put it on PPV people would buy it because there was a dependable boxing fan base.
        I remeber chavez taking on rediculously easy tune up fights durring his run and everyone was ok with that, don kind didnt mind and no one would get to see those fights.
        Look it up, its a very interesting trajectory the sport has taken now.
        are you saying its fashionable to duck good competition now days? Abner Mares and Andre Ward didn't get the memo

Comment

Originally posted by Enchanted View Post
          Canelo & Chavez JR will lead in drawing power, but as far as skills & Resume, it's easily Mares at the top right now.
          absofcukinglutely!

Comment

chavez beat lee who is better than anyone on canelo's piss poor roster and he almost had sergio out of there.he imo will lead mexico if sergio remathes jr i think he'll perform even better.

Comment

Leo Santa Cruz.

Comment

Top young Mexican stars right now are Canelo and Abner Mares. Lets see what happens....

Comment

Originally posted by Zarco View Post
                  Besides his blood, Robert Guerrero is the farthest from a Mexican out of all those.
                  lol.... well, when asked, he says hes mexican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
                    This debate won't be settled until they fight each other if that never happens long term I'd give the edge to Canelo I believe he'll have a better career than Chavez Jr
                    Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                    Honestly, as much as people hate on JR I think he'd be willing to step up (again) and fight Canelo. I can't say the same for Canelo.
                    They will never fight, unless its years away. Jr will be moving up soon to 168, then 175. Unless he has a major fight at 160 within the next year, he won't be able to make 160.

Canelo is a very average sized 154 pound fighter these days and even at 160 now would be considered on the smaller side of things. It seems the normal height for 160 is getting to be around 6 foot and Canelo is only 5'9", though he's a very solid 5'9". Nonetheless he makes 154 very easily still. In fact, apart from his last couple of fights his average weight was closer to the 147 limit than 154. He did start out at 140 and fought across 140 and 147 for the first five years of his career and has only stepped up to 154 in the last two years.

Eventually he'll get to 160 but he'll never be able to move up to 168 and beyond against guys getting mostly 6 foot and above while weighing up into the cruiserweight division and have any great success. He's no Roberto Duran.

Comment

realistically no one until mexican tv network stopping picking the "star". Torch carrier are proven in the ring and discovered later not produced from the get go. Alvarez definitely not the lead. I think I have said all this before...

Comment

Working...
                      X