No announcement yet.

Good size hand weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good size hand weights?

I'm looking at buying some handweights to work with when i do some shadowboxing and light contact on my bag. Its not for boxing strictly. I do Kyokushin (I love boxing just as much aswell) and I know that my arms could do with the extra workout that these would bring. I try to incorporate some boxing movements in my sparring in terms of footwork and parrying punches (not in an MMA sense though just as and when the situation calls for).

With the credit crunch n all that, time and money is in short supply so i wanna get the right ones. I saw some weights in a shop which were 5lb'ers but because its the sort of shop where you order it from a catalogue , you dont actually get to test them until you actually get back and open them. So i decided i would ask the lovely people in Training and Nutrition for some advice

If any of you guys use them, what ones do you use? Just so i can get a rough idea of what i need!

I use ankle weights for shadow boxing. I have a 3lb set and a 5 lb set. I just wrap them around my palm and vulah. You can get them tight enough to keep your hands open until arm extension in which I fully make a fist. For the money there not bad plus you get two uses out of them rope and shadow work. You save money and they beat using a dumbell b/c you always have to make a fist, plus almost every family has some ankle weights laying around in an attic or closet. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by jenalberti View Post
      I use ankle weights for shadow boxing. I have a 3lb set and a 5 lb set. I just wrap them around my palm and vulah. You can get them tight enough to keep your hands open until arm extension in which I fully make a fist. For the money there not bad plus you get two uses out of them rope and shadow work. You save money and they beat using a dumbell b/c you always have to make a fist, plus almost every family has some ankle weights laying around in an attic or closet. Hope this helps some.
      I never even thought about ankle weights. Seems obvious now really!!! Cheers mate!

Comment

2-3lbers are ideal and dont cause any serious tendon damage. 4-5lbs are getting a little heavy for shadowboxing but are still safe. Anything heavier than 5lbs your looking at tendonitis down the road. Also the heavier they are the more they mess with your technique & muscle memory so it may actually slow you down or cause unnecessary tightness while punching without them. If you want to play it safe stick to 2-3lbers & occasionally use 4lbs. Get the grippiest ones you can get since your hands will get real sweaty, at least mine do.

Comment

Originally posted by Landon S View Post
          2-3lbers are ideal and dont cause any serious tendon damage. 4-5lbs are getting a little heavy for shadowboxing but are still safe. Anything heavier than 5lbs your looking at tendonitis down the road. Also the heavier they are the more they mess with your technique & muscle memory so it may actually slow you down or cause unnecessary tightness while punching without them. If you want to play it safe stick to 2-3lbers & occasionally use 4lbs. Get the grippiest ones you can get since your hands will get real sweaty, at least mine do.
          The ones I use are made by Reebok. They're made out of something similar to a thick spandex. You cant grip them very well unlike the vinyl type. Landon you are very right about the weight, 2lbs is plenty. I use the 5lbs for my ankles. Also for shadow work try a stretching band. The ones with the loop for your hands. Works well.

Comment

1kg ones are the best. If you are skint you can even get an old bar and cut it upp as so many gyms do.

Comment

Originally posted by jenalberti View Post
              The ones I use are made by Reebok. They're made out of something similar to a thick spandex. You cant grip them very well unlike the vinyl type. Landon you are very right about the weight, 2lbs is plenty. I use the 5lbs for my ankles. Also for shadow work try a stretching band. The ones with the loop for your hands. Works well.
              Yes I forgot about them. Bands would definitely be the safest way to go for your tendons. Theyre also good since the more you stretch them out the more they resist, making the last few inches the hardest. Since the last few inches is where the punch is the strongest I think that would be good for your 'follow through'. However I think weights have their advantages too since theirs no pulling at odd angles that bands or tubing will sometimes do, but its not an issue unless you do ALL your shadowboxing with them.

Comment

p.s. I meant 1kg for both, not each hand. So 0.5 on each side. Anything more is too heavy and will make you slow.

Comment

I'd recomend using two pounds on each hand

Comment

I use wrist weights of 0.45kg and weights of 1.5kg for shadow boxing. I use the wrist and ankle weights for the bag as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X