No announcement yet.

Antonio Margarito update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonio Margarito update

it has been up for a while but just in case you guys havent read this.

Margarito is coming of a destruction over the previously undefeated KO artist and ''Interim'' champion, Kermit "The Killer" Cintron, on the April Main Events / ESPN PPV card. Margarito - Cintron bout was seen as a very difficult bout to call, pitting the experienced champion vs the broad shouldered KO artist, in a fight which many insiders thought would go the distance, and the opinions as to who would win were sharply divided.

Since then, Margarito has been soundly turned down by Shane Mosley and his trainer, who took part in the same PPV. Mosley and Golden Boy Promotions have mentioned that their goal is to fight the best at welterweight, yet Mosley is facing Cruz, an unknown undefeated fighter out of Mexico, who has sparred with Margarito, although Margarito easily handled him during those sparring sessions while he prepared for his Cintron showdown.

Judah made a brief mention about Margarito following his Rivera blowout, yet nothing else came of it, and as mentioned before, Judah is slated to fight against Mitchell in his next bout.

Judah-Margarito is a natural fight, with the winner to be truly the absolute, undisputed welterweight king. - It is also a hard fight to make, as Judah is a DKP fighter, while Margarito is in Top Rank's stable.

Mayweather would be the easiest fight to make as both fighters are under the same promotional umbrella. Perhaps a double main event on October 8th? ''Double Clash of the Titans''? One can only dream.

Margarito has mentioned he will fight any of the top contenders in the division, yet none have stepped up to the plate. Perhaps a fight against the newly crowned Roman Karmazin could materialize. The little known Karmazin against the Tijuana ''Punching Machine'' would be a barnburner, one which anyone who has seen both fighters would happily pay to watch. As of now, there have been no talks about those two fighters exchanging leather.

Margarito in October 1st SHOWTIME main event

''We will be definitely fighting on the October 1st Showtime main event in Caesars Palace," said Sergio Diaz, who manages the WBO welterweight champion.

There was a mention of Joshua Clottey, but we were just told that Showtime might not accept Clottey after all. We mentioned David Estrada to our promoter, but as of now Clottey is the name we have; of course things can change if a better fight should come about.''

Clottey, a Ghana native, is a little known, but well schooled and dangerous fighter who sports a record of 26-1 with 18 KOs, and whose last bout was a no contest
    against Steve Martinez on the Margarito vs Lujan undercard.

His only loss was a disqualification against Carlos Baldomir in the 11th round of a 1999 WBC welterweight international bout.

Estrada gave a good account of himself in a losing ten round decision against Mosley on the April Margarito vs Cintron ESPN PPV undercard.

Top Rank mentioned Manuel ''La Rana / Escopeta'' Gomez, but Showtime turned him down, they said Margarito would blow him out.

''I'm glad Showtime turned him down, we want bigger names than Gomez."

Gomez has been calling out Margarito at every turn for a few years now.

''Ideally we would like to fight a big name, Oscar De La Hoya, Winky (at 154), but no one wants to fight Tony, so what we are looking to do is to keep him busy and hopefully one of these guys in the147 - 154 weight classes will finally step up to face Tony.''

''We don't want to throw out any names any more," continues Diaz. "No one wants to fight us; we will just work with whatever the best option is available to us, and it does look like it will come down to either Clottey or Estrada as of now.''

On Karmazin, Diaz says ''That is a good fight, but he's with Don King, and Don King does not want to lose control of the belts, which is part of the reason a Judah fight doesn't seem likely. But like I said, Margarito will fight anyone.

''Tony is a crowd pleaser, he has never been in a bad fight and gives people their monies worth.

Margarito ''I would really like to fight Mayweather''

And what does the champion say about all of this?

''I would really like to unify the title. I would also love to fight Mayweather. We were really pushing for that fight, but now it seems it's not going to happen, so I will do what my management thinks is best for me. As of now I will be fighting on October 1st on Showtime. David Estrada is in my sight, Clottey or whoever, I just want, and need to stay active. All of these other guys don't want to fight me, so staying active is the best thing I can do at the moment,'' said Margarito.

"I'm training here (in Tijuana), but I will be moving camp to Los Angeles as soon as I get definite word on who the opponent will be, most likely the first week
    of August," continued Margarito. ''Give me a name, a place and the money and I will fight anyone.''

And that is what Margarito has to look forward to - stay active, defend his title and hope that someone else decides to fight him.

Thanx for the update. I had heard that the Clottey fight was a strong possibility. If Margarito takes that fight it's a very dangerous one him. Clottey's got some power & he's hungry.

Comment

Real tough spot for Maragrito. He's just to good for his own good right now.

No one wants to take such a big risk for such little reward.

Comment

I just want to see him keep busy,so i can see more of him,bigger fights will come.

Comment

margarito is a bad ass fighter. i think he would take out zab, mayweather,mosley. no one wants to fight tony... if he takes on winky i duno bout that one tho. winky is at the top of his game and could give tony problems. but i say on one stops antonio at welterweight, hes too strong.

Comment

Originally posted by DANGER13
            margarito is a bad ass fighter. i think he would take out zab, mayweather,mosley. no one wants to fight tony... if he takes on winky i duno bout that one tho. winky is at the top of his game and could give tony problems. but i say on one stops antonio at welterweight, hes too strong.
            Daneil Santos wants to fight Tony....Tony come back!

Comment

he should take a fight with sharamba mitchell since his fight with judah was cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by IwatchBoxing
                Daneil Santos wants to fight Tony....Tony come back!
                a third fight? lol yea that would b a good fight for tony but no in puerto rico...

Comment

Originally posted by DANGER13
                  a third fight? lol yea that would b a good fight for tony but no in puerto rico...
                  Two chances already, I think you need to walk him into the ring next time Danger

Comment

Originally posted by IwatchBoxing
                    Two chances already, I think you need to walk him into the ring next time Danger
                    naw ese the second fight was close, they both had there moments.it was a hard fight. could have went either ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X