No announcement yet.

Will the IBO ever become important?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the IBO ever become important?

What are your thoughts on the IBO belt? We have too many already. I don't think the fans would take another belt and would spark a backlash against the sport.

There's been a bit more talk on the IBO lately though. And obviously, this forum is backed by the IBO...

I think it's a joke if yet another sanctioning body comes along, though I do hope fans reject it coming up for the good of the sport

It already is. Tarver and other fighters were referred to as "world champions" for holding the belt, and ESPN now includes it in its listing of champions.

I find all of them disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
      It already is. Tarver and other fighters were referred to as "world champions" for holding the belt, and ESPN now includes it in its listing of champions.

I didn't see the IBO here http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/champions

Comment

Depends on who the champ is. After Manny beat Hatton his fanbase tried to justify them as a top boxing organization. Since then I havent really heard much talk about them. In my eyes they are a second tier organization. Back in the day the only belts that mattered were IBF, WBC, and WBA. I dont even remember how the WBO got elavated but it did.

Comment

like we need another organization.
          Next thing you know,the WBU will become a world title.
          I wouldn't mind if it replaced the WBC

Comment

I hope it never does but the WBC became more recognised than the WBA. Whoever thought the IBF would become a big title? Then the wbo? Fighters make titles, without Ali who'd have cared about the WBC? Without Holmes would we have recognised the IBF? British and european fighters made the wbo a title by winning other titles but choosing to only defend the wbo, michalczewski, hamed, Calzaghe etc. who knows who'll choose to start defending the IBO, we've already had Lewis now wlad as IBO heavyweight champ, depending on who wins it next

Comment

You've got to take it seriously, Danny Green holds the cruiser IBO.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post

I was about to say the same thing. Guys are already calling themselves legitimate world champions based on it. It's the next WBO.

Utterly appalling. Five 'world champions' in one division.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                  Depends on who the champ is. After Manny beat Hatton his fanbase tried to justify them as a top boxing organization. Since then I havent really heard much talk about them. In my eyes they are a second tier organization. Back in the day the only belts that mattered were IBF, WBC, and WBA. I dont even remember how the WBO got elavated but it did.
                  It's basically since that fight that it really took off. Of all the good Pac did, he might have negated it all by legitimising another bull****, corrupt, world championship, sanctioning organisation.

You could argue that Pac is the ruination of modern boxing because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    I was about to say the same thing. Guys are already calling themselves legitimate world champions based on it. It's the next WBO.

Utterly appalling. Five 'world champions' in one division.
                    8 if you count the wba has 3 per weight class

Comment

Working...
                    X