Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone who wants to get deised up on this forum...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone who wants to get deised up on this forum...

just spar and hit the bag and drink shakes.

I stopped doing weights like 4 years ago I'm more cut than ever, I can bicep curl (just out of curiosity) 50 lb dumbells for 8 reps per hand and I only weigh 127 lbs. Thats from boxing. I could never do that back when I lifted weights. Sparring seems to absolutely shred my arms, the bicep and back to an extreme.

Boxing is a full body workout. Muscle heads crack me up, they think that they can fight because they lift weights, couldn't be further from the truth.

The heavybag is a great workout, sparring even more so.

Happy to see that you got the results you were looking for from a boxing workout. You get what you give............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      just spar and hit the bag and drink shakes.

I stopped doing weights like 4 years ago I'm more cut than ever, I can bicep curl (just out of curiosity) 50 lb dumbells for 8 reps per hand and I only weigh 127 lbs. Thats from boxing. I could never do that back when I lifted weights. Sparring seems to absolutely shred my arms, the bicep and back to an extreme.
      What was your routine like when you did lift?

I'm not doubting you, but I think liftng weight will get you just as strong and big if you didn't spar/box/hit the bag.

Comment

theres a 14 year old national champion in my gym he's never done weights in his life and he looks the part his biceps are bigger than mine and hes a 57kg fighter he's been boxing for 4 years and all he does is the circuit off the black board

Comment

Originally posted by h4te View Post
          What was your routine like when you did lift?

I'm not doubting you, but I think liftng weight will get you just as strong and big if you didn't spar/box/hit the bag.
          6 rounds of sparring, 3 days a week, I ran on the days in between and did some calisthenics after wards like pulls ups and incline push ups. i'm telling you the sparring is what really got me sore though. I also would do like 6-7 rounds on the pads after sparring. Seemed to shred my arms.

I easily push people around who are weight lifters, unless they have like 40 lbs on me. Weight lifters simply don't have the stamina and become weak much faster.

I would post a picture but i'll probably get ragged on by the internet ****z

EDIT: my weight routine was like, typical - 3x8 of everything. I should point out I also worked at a crossfit for a year.
          Last edited by them_apples; 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

I easily push people around who are weight lifters, unless they have like 40 lbs on me. Weight lifters simply don't have the stamina and become weak much faster.

I would post a picture but i'll probably get ragged on by the internet ****z

EDIT: my weight routine was like, typical - 3x8 of everything. I should point out I also worked at a crossfit for a year.
            Well there's the rub. 3x8 of everything? I'm usually the first one to say rep ranges are overrated, but 3x8 is hypertrophy and by "everything" you probably did a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I would have only done 3x8 on an accessory exercise like dips or hypers.

I would have done Squats, Deads, Cleans, Snatches for Singles or Triples.

and then pull-ups, push-ups, dips, and accessory stuff for sets of 8.

Also about crossfit, I personally believe that crossfit is probably the most counter productive thing an athlete can do. It's not really specific enough or geared towards anything except getting better at Crossfit. It's great to get in shape, it's great for a group exercise kinda deal or something to do to keep in shape in the offseason or in between a fight, but beyond that it's useless, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by h4te View Post
              Well there's the rub. 3x8 of everything? I'm usually the first one to say rep ranges are overrated, but 3x8 is hypertrophy and by "everything" you probably did a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I would have only done 3x8 on an accessory exercise like dips or hypers.

I would have done Squats, Deads, Cleans, Snatches for Singles or Triples.

and then pull-ups, push-ups, dips, and accessory stuff for sets of 8.

Also about crossfit, I personally believe that crossfit is probably the most counter productive thing an athlete can do. It's not really specific enough or geared towards anything except getting better at Crossfit. It's great to get in shape, it's great for a group exercise kinda deal or something to do to keep in shape in the offseason or in between a fight, but beyond that it's useless, IMO.
              agree about crossfit, hence why I quit. Crossfit I didn't seem to get any benefit from accept my core got a lot stronger i will say, i could take asolid body shot. Everything else I found bogus. I didn't get faster, my stamina wasn't any better in boxing (almost worse) I did get a bit stronger though especially in my back and legs. Crossfit should be catagorized as a sport since it's more like jack of all trades fitness, or really should be fitness for those parkour practicioners.

doing calisthenics in 3x8 would be pointless for a light guy like me, I could do close to 50 pull ups in a row when I was at crossfit, which last time I checked is still the record at the one i went to. You know how strict they are on form there too. I could probably squeez out only about 30 now though, but im better in other areas, esp stamina and shoulder strength (my hand stand push ups are good).

weights to me is pretty non benefical to boxing, unless you did some reps after a workout just to tear your muscle a bit more. I've never really had any trouble with a "weight lifter" when I sparred. Not saying there aren't any, just i haven't seen them. Those kids tend to be preoccupyied with looking jacked and wanting to fight rather than the skill of the sport. Considering Pacquiao does next to 0 weights, and Mayweather only does reps of like 20 at the gym at like 3 am after a boxing workout...I don't think weights are really beneficial. It's low reps of high weight in a sport that requires extreme stamina and speed. In my opinion the high weight low reps is complete bull**** made up by tapout fans as an excuse to lift weights and fight at the same time (since most people wanna look good).
              Last edited by them_apples; 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

There's no doubt that lifting weights makes you much stronger, faster in general but strength is very specific and the motions involved in weight training is mostly irrelevant to boxing, its not completely useless in boxing training though I wouldn't rule it out.

Comment

so what? what's the conclusion?
                  If I want to improve my boxing skills, should I lift weight or not?
                  I don't care about looking good. I care about hitting good....

Comment

Working...
                  X