No announcement yet.

Tarver's legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarver's legacy

I have always been kinda fascinated with Antonio Tarver. Maybe because he is an unusual figure. In several ways. He didn't wanna turn pro after he failed to make the olympic team the first time, so he waited another four years. That is pretty rare and admirable. It meant so much to him to make it in the olympics and as amateur. He could have turned pro earlier and by now he would surely have a much better pro record than he does. Instead of 27-6, it would be something like 47-6. Thats one other question I'd like to ask btw. How good would his legacy be if he had turned pro earlier? In late '92 or early '93?

Lets see first who ruled the 175 division back then...Virgil Hill was the WBA champ and recognised by many as the best LHW back then I think. Henry Maske became the IBF champ after beating Charles Williams in March '93. Jeff Harding had reigned as the WBC champ thru '93 before being dethroned by Mike McCallum in '94. So...how would Tarver do against these guys?

That is very admirable and shows alot of dedication for him to have waited. 4 years can be a long chunk of your life, I didn't know that actually. That said I think he would beat any of the fighters named except for McCallum. Unfortunately for him his legacy is that of a one hit wonder, and he will be forever known as the guy who layout RJJ with one perfect eyes closed straight left.

Comment

He will also be known for having beaten 3 out of 5 guys that beat him. And 2 out of 3 of those were by ko. First he lost to Eric Harding, then stopped him in 5. Then he lost to RJ and ko'd him in 2. Then he lost to Johnson and beat him in the rematch
      Last edited by Benncollinsaad; 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I can't say how he would do against those guys, since he didn't fight at the time. So it's hard to imagine how we would be in his prime.

But with that aside, he's still had a very good career, even if it was a late start. He's been a three-time world champion and beat the top competition that included Roy Jones, Glen Johnson, Clinton Woods, Montell Griffin, Eric Harding and Reggie Jonson. Five of them were champions at one time or another.

In the end, I think he's left a good legacy in the light-heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
          He will also be known for having avenged 3 out of his 5 losses. And 2 out of 3 were ko's. First he lost to Eric Harding, then stopped him in 5. Then he lost to RJ and ko'd him in 2. Then he lost to Johnson and beat him in the rematch
          Almost no one knows who Harding is and Johnson is unfamiliar to casual fans....his connection to RJJ is the bases of his legacy and fortunately for him though he came out on top. That is actually why he is so unpopular because he ko'd mr. un-ko-able. Had he started earlier we could have seen plenty of great fights, I wonder how he would have done against Toney, or Daruisz Michalwhatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            Almost no one knows who Harding is and Johnson is unfamiliar to casual fans....his connection to RJJ is the bases of his legacy and fortunately for him though he came out on top. That is actually why he is so unpopular because he ko'd mr. un-ko-able. Had he started earlier we could have seen plenty of great fights, I wonder how he would have done against Toney, or Daruisz Michalwhatever.
            Yeah, Toney vs Tarver would be a fun fight. But unfortunately Toney was crap at 175 and lost all his major matches there. Mostly because he didn't train sufficiently. I don't think its fair to say Tarver will be remembered ONLY for that knockout over Roy Jones. He will be also remembered as an exciting fighter, at least from '97 to 2005, and a COLORFUL guy.

Comment

Yeah, Toney vs Tarver would be a fun fight. But unfortunately Toney was crap at 175 and lost all his major matches there. Mostly because he didn't train sufficiently. I don't think its fair to say Tarver will be remembered ONLY for that knockout over Roy Jones. He will be also remembered as an exciting fighter, at least from '97 to 2005, and a COLORFUL guy.
              I will remember his boastful personality and the fights with Johnson but most ppl won't because most fans are not hardcore fans who watch every televised boxing match like you or me....just keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                I will remember his boastful personality and the fights with Johnson but most ppl won't because most fans are not hardcore fans who watch every televised boxing match like you or me....just keep that in mind.
                Yeah, well screw them anyway! Who cares about their perception of the Magic Man!

Comment

It's actually nice to see people give Tarver some love here. He's usually **** on left and right in NSB section of the forum despite his victories against plenty of high quality guys and the fact that he has never been stopped no matter who he fought.

He's mailed it in a couple of times and lost when he should of won, but has some good victories against the top 10 and top 20 at light heavy.

I remember him from the Olympics but really only became a fan when I went to one of his fights, and saw him get off the deck to beat a tough experienced Reggie Johnson.

A motivated Tarver would've been hard to handle for anyone because he's a crafty boxer and in his prime, he could crack.

He fought back from a lot of adversity to make the Olympic team and turned out to be a fine pro.

Comment

I have always been kinda fascinated with Antonio Tarver. Maybe because he is an unusual figure. In several ways. He didn't wanna turn pro after he failed to make the olympic team the first time, so he waited another four years. That is pretty rare and admirable. It meant so much to him to make it in the olympics and as amateur. He could have turned pro earlier and by now he would surely have a much better pro record than he does. Instead of 27-6, it would be something like 47-6. Thats one other question I'd like to ask btw. How good would his legacy be if he had turned pro earlier? In late '92 or early '93?

Lets see first who ruled the 175 division back then...Virgil Hill was the WBA champ and recognised by many as the best LHW back then I think. Henry Maske became the IBF champ after beating Charles Williams in March '93. Jeff Harding had reigned as the WBC champ thru '93 before being dethroned by Mike McCallum in '94. So...how would Tarver do against these guys?
                    As much as I hate Tarver I think he could have been a really good fighter. The problem with him is that he seems to be scared to get hit. Yes no one likes to be hit but he seemed content just waiting and waiting until he could set up the perfect punch. If he was more aggressive he could have used his height and reach against anyone. Maybe its just not in him. If he fought everyone like how he fought Johnson the 2nd time he would have gave any light heavyweight problems

Comment

Working...
                    X