Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McGregor says he offered to face Frankie Edgar at UFC 222, will fight again ‘period’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGregor says he offered to face Frankie Edgar at UFC 222, will fight again ‘period’

Conor McGregor wants to make one thing very clear: He will absolutely fight again. And he wanted to do it sooner than you think.

The UFC lightweight champion wrote Thursday on Instagram that he offered to fight Frankie Edgar at UFC 222 on March 3 when Max Holloway pulled out of the scheduled featherweight title fight, but the UFC said “there wasn’t enough time to generate the money that the UFC would need.”

“I was excited about bouncing in last minute and taking out the final featherweight, without all the rest of the stuff that comes with this game,” McGregor wrote.

McGregor has not fought in the UFC since winning the lightweight belt from Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in November 2016. He fought Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match last August, earning upwards of $100 million and generating the second biggest pay-per-view mark of all time.

“The Notorious” said he will indeed be back in the Octagon.

“I am fighting again,” he wrote. “Period. I am the best at this.”

McGregor asked fans in the post to “respect the insane amount of work outside the fight game that I have put in.”

“On top of the fighting,” he wrote.

On Thursday, UFC president Dana White told TMZ that McGregor “understands” why the UFC 223 main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson has to be for the real lightweight title, not the interim one. McGregor has yet to defend that 155-pound belt.

“Is he upset? No, Conor understands,” White said. “Conor made a lot of money, he wants some time off, but the division has to go on and the business has to go on.

“I say it all the time, when you get that kind of money… Conor might never come back. It’s a lot of money.”

The wildly popular Irishman, who is the biggest financial draw in the history of MMA, put the onus on the UFC to get him back in the cage in his Instagram post.

“I am here,” McGregor said. “It is on them to come and get me. Because I am here.”

Conor hasn't fought in the UFC for so long he forgot what weight class he was in.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
      Conor hasn't fought in the UFC for so long he forgot what weight class he was in.
      LOL! I was thinking that too.

Comment

You can tell he would have wanted this at 155 - it serves a couple purposes.

1. Edgar is the best featherweight out of the ones he DIDN'T face
        2. It would be a defence of his title at 155 so he gets to keep it for longer (Edgar is an easier fight than Ferg/Khabib)
        3. He has been name-dropping Holloway a few times, I think he would love the idea of a rematch as it is an easy sell, especially now that Max is on a tear and a champion - plus again it would most likely be at 155 and Holloway is easier than Ferg/Kebab

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
          You can tell he would have wanted this at 155 - it serves a couple purposes.

1. Edgar is the best featherweight out of the ones he DIDN'T face
          2. It would be a defence of his title at 155 so he gets to keep it for longer (Edgar is an easier fight than Ferg/Khabib)
          3. He has been name-dropping Holloway a few times, I think he would love the idea of a rematch as it is an easy sell, especially now that Max is on a tear and a champion - plus again it would most likely be at 155 and Holloway is easier than Ferg/Kebab
          Think this is probably all on point. Conor wants no part of Khabib OR Ferg if he can avoid it. The UFC doesn't make picking & choosing your opponent as easy as it can be done in boxing doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Think this is probably all on point. Conor wants no part of Khabib OR Ferg if he can avoid it. The UFC doesn't make picking & choosing your opponent as easy as it can be done in boxing doe.
            Nor should it EVER be easy to pick and choose an opponent to avoid a tougher one, not by any major MMA promotion anyway, like UFC, Bellator or even One, Rizin, Invicta perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              I think Conor ko's ferg inside of 3 rounds. I don't think he looks forward to a fight with khabib however lol

Comment

It will be good to have him back :ROCK:

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
                  r (Edgar is an easier fight than Ferg/Khabib)
                  Edgar will hump him in 5 rounds till he gets pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                    Edgar will hump him in 5 rounds till he gets pregnant.
                    Nah, I like Edgar but he gets pieced up. Conor can't make 145 and Edgar said he can probably still make 135.

The only FW Conor should fight is Max, and that rematch would be at 155

Comment

Working...
                    X