No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker
    2x Fighter of the Year. One of the most naturally talented fighters of all time. The best chin of all time (went from MW-HW never been KO'd only knocked down 3x 2 of those were flukes) Incredible handspeed in his prime, very high Boxing IQ.

You children don't know what you're talking about. Prime, focused James Toney beats the s hit out of Roy, B-Poop, Tarver, Calzaghe, etc....
    James can thank Bill Miller for much of that boxing IQ.............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      I fought with James out of the Galaxy stable back then and fought out of the same amatuer gym aswell. James was an incredible talent, he just couldn't control his weight between fights. He'd show up after a defense and he'd be200+lbs and have to dry out for every fight. That will take a toll on a body and it did for James. He did get a gift against Tiberi but Reggie Johnson was nobody to play with, that guy could fight. With the Jones bout it was told to me that he was out partying with snoop and dr, dre after he'd do his work in training camp. James was neither fit nor focused for that fight. Put those 2 in a ring at light heavy and things may have been different. Aswell, Montel Griffen was nothing to play with, that guy could fight too. Years before they met in the competitive ring Jackie had invited Montell to train down at Galaxy following the olympics. Montell gave James all that he could handle then and when they met in the prize ring Montell again put it on James. Certain styles will give certain fighters trouble, Montells style did just that. Say what you'd like about Jirov, he was a skilled fighter that James made look like an amatuer.

James at his best was the best fighter that I have seen with my two eyes. At his worst he was still good but lathargic.

James is an ATG in my book.............Rockin'

Brilliant post, I really enjoyed reading that, thanks

If the best possible James Toney had showed up to face Jones, how much better do you think he would have done? Why didn't James take Roy seriously?

Toney's discipline was his downfall, he had Floyd Mayweather esque talent

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post

If the best possible James Toney had showed up to face Jones, how much better do you think he would have done? Why didn't James take Roy seriously?

I think discipline is the difference that sets apart the very best from everyone else. I think a prime James Toney would always have problems with a prime Jones because of Jones' footwork. Very fast with excellent stamina, speed and power. I see a much closer fight between two all-time greats, but the same outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          I think discipline is the difference that sets apart the very best from everyone else. I think a prime James Toney would always have problems with a prime Jones because of Jones' footwork. Very fast with excellent stamina, speed and power. I see a much closer fight between two all-time greats, but the same outcome.
          I think Jones beats Toney 10 times out of 10.

On the outside, with his speed, timing, footwork, and footspeed. Toney has no chance. He's never going to beat Roy in those categories and he sure as hell isn't getting close to him.

I expected Toney to destroy Jones but after the fight it's very apparent they were in different leagues. As exceptional as Toney was.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

On the outside, with his speed, timing, footwork, and footspeed. Toney has no chance. He's never going to beat Roy in those categories and he sure as hell isn't getting close to him.

I expected Toney to destroy Jones but after the fight it's very apparent they were in different leagues. As exceptional as Toney was.
            Agreed. And he was very motivated that night against Toney. Toney has never looked that inept and it was clear that, even at his peak, could not beat Jones at his highest peak. A hungry, prime Jones is a tough out for anyone.

Comment

Great fighter, but he gets overrated around here, and he definitely overrates him self.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Styles make fights, and Jones speed and unorthodox style, not to mention his ATG defence makes him a nightmare for counter punchers like Toney

Comment

In terms of skills the guy had it all, great outside and inside boxer with timing and accuracy too bad Roy was just too much athlete for him he was far more skilled and Roy but could do nothing to match his talent, I thought he could have won the 1st Griffin fight it was close, defo won the 2nd and was borderline robbed. He had a great comeback win though at CW against Jirov, after the Sam Peter 1 fight it was pretty much over and he should have retired then.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    In terms of skills the guy had it all, great outside and inside boxer with timing and accuracy too bad Roy was just too much athlete for him he was far more skilled and Roy but could do nothing to match his talent, I thought he could have won the 1st Griffin fight it was close, defo won the 2nd and was borderline robbed. He had a great comeback win though at CW against Jirov, after the Sam Peter 1 fight it was pretty much over and he should have retired then.
                    Yep. A buddy of mine attended a post-fight party for Toney that night after the Peter bout. Pretty much everyone felt James was robbed and there was a festive mood but he said throughout it all, Toney was just...somber. Wasn't as happy at all with his performance. Perhaps he realized he had slipped badly, I don't know. I guess the next step was denial.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post

an unweight drained James is a toss up with prime Jones. James first fought the scales and thats what killed him on fight night. In the gym I watched some sheer brilliance in James displays in the ring aswell as some incredible feats in weightloss.

Roy was definately a brilliant boxer though. So was James.

It was the weightloss game that he played with the scales that finally caught up to him. James defeated himself, even before the first bell ever rang that night, more than Roy Jones really did. That could have been a fight of the millenium.

A tossup............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X