Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War . national service

War. Is it ever just?

Should they have national service?

War is very rarely justified. And even when it is, many of the nations involved are involved for their own interests, not because it is just. Like WWII.

And national service?

Comment

National service should be brough back. Help rid the streets of troublemakers

Comment

Yeah national service should come back but it'd be too hard trying to convince people to accept it. Aswell as actually getting the youth to do it.

Comment

The only way to get peace, is to take the fight out of the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho-Nuff View Post
            The only way to get peace, is to take the fight out of the enemy.
            nuke them you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Naz-Fan View Post
              Yeah national service should come back but it'd be too hard trying to convince people to accept it. Aswell as actually getting the youth to do it.
              national service does seem like a decent concept, getting youths involved in cleaning up their societies and all (if im understanding it right), but it seems potentially scarry to me sorta. Young people are too impressionable and especially if you make them believe they're doing good for society they are capable of some true evil. I dont think this is quite a fair comparison for countries like the US, but the idea reminds me of **** like the red guards of the china, these were urban youth who were mobilized during the cultural revolution to pursue the communist policy of purging pre-communist cultural elements, they attacked teachers, inteletuals, landlords, local officials, and others who were purched above the lower class.

Again, this was a situation unique to china and marred in communism, but it was a very bizzare situation and i thought it worthy of bringing up. It does show the impressionability of young people, they can easily be rendered puppets by a government in such cases. But i'm not entirely opposed to the idea, i just think it is potentially dangerous and i find this an interesting case to illustrate why.

Comment

As a former training instructor in the army I saw first hand how young guys would change after a spell in the forces.

The majority would transform into respectful, hardworking individuals so for me National Service would be an excellent way forward. I agree many would hate it but even if its for 12 months that would assist the individual to build on their character whilst assisting the country in various ways!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton View Post
                  As a former training instructor in the army I saw first hand how young guys would change after a spell in the forces.

The majority would transform into respectful, hardworking individuals so for me National Service would be an excellent way forward. I agree many would hate it but even if its for 12 months that would assist the individual to build on their character whilst assisting the country in various ways!
                  Exactly. A two year stint in the army for all young males would be brilliant for discipline and respect, something the youth of today lacks.

And have you never heard of the Just War theory? By St. Thomas Aquinas? If not, read up on it. It's the guidelines the church and governments use to see if war is right.

Remember this, "The greater good for the greater number". If a war is going to help more people than it will harm, it is right in my opinion.

Jesus also taught that people should follow orders of their government and respect their country's leaders so this must mean pacifism is wrong too.
                  Last edited by The Raging Bull; 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Raging Bull View Post
                    Exactly. A two year stint in the army for all young males would be brilliant for discipline and respect, something the youth of today lacks.

And have you never heard of the Just War theory? By St. Thomas Aquinas? If not, read up on it. It's the guidelines the church and governments use to see if war is right.

Remember this, "The greater good for the greater number". If a war is going to help more people than it will harm, it is right in my opinion.

Jesus also taught that people should follow orders of their government abd respect their countrys leaders so this must mean pacifism is wrong too.
                    Interesting!

Comment

Working...
                    X