Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez: Dmitry Pirog Makes No Sense Right Now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sigrab jr View Post
    The irony.

He won a vacant WBO title, now he's a "bona fide world champ".

He's ranked number 8 by The Ring in Middleweights. Dude is not even top 5. You got Zbik, Macklin, Geale, Williams, Sylvester, Pavlik, and Sturm all in front of this "bona fide world chump".

You're overrating paper champ Pirog.
    *******s would say anything to diminish sergio due to recent demand for sergio to fight their god.
    they are indeed pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by vxrandall View Post
      surely becoming the P4P champion is about fighting the best opponents not just the most well known or most marketable...case in point....manny fights margarito but there are surely better in the 154 class but because v margarito does better business he fights him and it adds credibility to his p4p claim?

if pirog is a dangerous opponent at 160 then martinez should fight him if he wants to be considered the best in his own class let alone p4p.

dont confuse an aspiration to be the best with an aspiration to be the best known! sadly...if fighters concentrate on taking on and beating the best fighters available they might find it easier to make the name for themselves that they so desperately claim...
      Great post and I agree with you completely. I also believe that part of the problem with boxing is all the fighters looking for the big fights. They win belts that they will not defend when they move off to the next super fight. To be honest this gets old. What ever happened to a fighter winning a title and defending that title within the division against the divisions top ten? I would rather watch a great fight such as Sergio vs Pirog on HBO for free in a few months. Instead I will have to sit around and wait for Sergio to land a pay per view fight with one of the great fighters that I will have to pay to watch.

And I have nothing against the Pacman. But I really believe it is a joke that he has won an eight belt. Simply because he beat a fighter who had fought only once in the last year and a half. Also, between the two of them they only had one fight in the division in which they were fighting for the championship. And the Pacman did not even weigh enough to win the title. So I ask why even have divisions? Why not just have a bunch of elite fighters sitting around waiting for super fights. In closing I will say that I laugh, but truly it is sad, when I hear people comparing this multi title crap of today with the likes of Henry Armstrong, or for that mater even Wilfred Benitez.

Comment

Martinez just took out Paul Williams with one punch. I never, EVER, though i would see Paul Williams ket KO'ed with one punch. If you know Paul Williams, you would know why the boxing world is in shock. Martinez wants his title back, Pacquiao is a great fighter but he has to either defend his title or give it to Sergio Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
          Great post and I agree with you completely. I also believe that part of the problem with boxing is all the fighters looking for the big fights. They win belts that they will not defend when they move off to the next super fight. To be honest this gets old. What ever happened to a fighter winning a title and defending that title within the division against the divisions top ten? I would rather watch a great fight such as Sergio vs Pirog on HBO for free in a few months. Instead I will have to sit around and wait for Sergio to land a pay per view fight with one of the great fighters that I will have to pay to watch.

And I have nothing against the Pacman. But I really believe it is a joke that he has won an eight belt. Simply because he beat a fighter who had fought only once in the last year and a half. Also, between the two of them they only had one fight in the division in which they were fighting for the championship. And the Pacman did not even weigh enough to win the title. So I ask why even have divisions? Why not just have a bunch of elite fighters sitting around waiting for super fights. In closing I will say that I laugh, but truly it is sad, when I hear people comparing this multi title crap of today with the likes of Henry Armstrong, or for that mater even Wilfred Benitez.
          ^^^This^^^

Comment

My $ would be on Pirog. If you haven't seen him, check him out against Jacobs. He is as impressive a prospect as I've seen in a while. His offense pivots off his Mayweather-esque defense....

Comment

Pirog may only have 17 fights, but you can bet he's probably got a lot of amatuer experience behind him. It just kind of gets old and annoying listening to stories on the front page of this site with fighters saying they won't fight this and that guy because of such and such. Pirog is a complete no name though I will have to concede. Bute is with Showtime so I guess that's out of the equation. Tough spot Martinez is in.

Comment

STAYING ON TOPIC HERE...
                martinez to say "pirog makes no sense right now" is the equivalent of pac vs berto makes no sense right now

Comment

Martinez is right, and I'd pick Martinez to beat Pirog right now. There's 3 options for Martinez right now, and thats Bute, Pacquiao, or Floyd. If any 3 of those fighters want to get in the ring against Martinez then I'd be happy with one of those fights going down.

Comment

Look here the thing is what does pirog have to offer ? Nothing at all he would be unknown if it wasn't for his win against jacobs. As fans of course we would want to see this fight because pirog a legit Mw against a guy like sergio would be a war.

You guys aren't in sergio's shoes , he's 35 riding the well deserved wave of his great KO of a guy all you guys praise in 1 way or another , pirog is a step back if not may or pac I say KO williams again and show it wasn't a "lucky" punch like many say, and take it from there

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post

the only reason why pac didnt defend his lightweight title was the fact that some people in media pushed for pac/delahoya dream fight...after that, it was either defend his lightweight title or fight hatton for hattons jr welterweight lineal title.

there was no reason to defend the jr welterweight belt being that he had beaten the lineal champ hatton.

at welterweight, he had beaten cotto for cottos belt and defended it against clottey...why should pac defend against mosley when cotto already had beaten mosley...pac has been trying to fight floydie, but we know whats happening to floydie, he's losing his mind from the fact that pac has voiced his wanting to fight him for a year now.

the only title i see that i have a problem with pac not defending is his title is the one that he just one at jr middleweight...i would love to see him fight one of the other belt holders (minus cotto)...that would make his jr middleweight title more legit.

Comment

Working...
                      X