No announcement yet.

Kell Brook was never really that good

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I think he's a solid B to B+ fighter. Which is nothing to sneeze at. But he's not an A guy.

Spence, clearly, is an A guy. And you could see the difference. Brook had several really nice moments in the fight -- yet still in spite of that Spence was really in control from start to finish.

At no point in the fight did it feel like Brook had taken control to the point where the pendulum had started to lean his way. It was leaning in Spence's direction from the opening bell.
    I don't know what you were watching but that is absolutely not true. Spence was nervous and apprehensive at first, the fight definitely began at Kell's pace and he was the more comfortable and in control of the two. As it went on Spence took over, but in no way did he dominate that fight from start to finish.

Kell is a great fighter. He counters well, has a solid IQ and is extremely strong. Unfortunately he seems to have issues with either the integrity of his eye sockets or bone density in general, plus he's taken two hugely demoralising losses in a row. He will never be at the top of his game now.

Comment

You guys should dig up old fights, Brook was o nc e the real deal. Problem is, and this is an issue with many modern fighters (hi DG) , he spent too much of his prime fighting nobodies and his development stalled.

Also, if a talented fighter fights at the appropriate level often enough he will learn bout the grit needed to win at the highest level. Brook never did.

Comment

Originally posted by English Lion View Post
        Brook is completely overrated. His only win of note was a MD against Porter in a fight that could of gone either way. He's quit in his other two big fights. I don't understand how anyone can even put Brook in the same league as Khan to be honest.
        amir khans chin is very questionable, but he's more exciting than brook and his record is 10x better than brooks aswell.

i honestly cant see why kell brook fans rate kell so much. imo someone like eggington will beat him anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Thurman in the last few years alone improved his competition as he goes along, Brook went backwards every single time, and when he finally face adversity he quit then tried to call himself a warrior.
          This right here. Sig worthy post.

Thurman is the no.1, Spence the clear no.2

Comment

Originally posted by English Lion View Post
            Brook is completely overrated. His only win of note was a MD against Porter in a fight that could of gone either way. He's quit in his other two big fights. I don't understand how anyone can even put Brook in the same league as Khan to be honest.

Let's see if Khan has the nuts to go in the ring with brook. then you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              he spent too much of his prime fighting nobodies
              whatever the reason for this, it's unquestionably true.

Comment

Brook was an elite ww and every bit as good as his fans claimed.

He had the potential to become the unified WW champ and kingpin

but he faced GGG and he's damaged goods now, so he'll never fulfill that potential

All the other top welters should give GGG their collective thanks for getting rid of the Brook threat

Comment

people making it sound like spence demolished him lol, what the hell did some of you watch. pretty clear brooks a top level fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    people making it sound like spence demolished him lol, what the hell did some of you watch. pretty clear brooks a top level fighter.
                    Spence was the alpha male in there, that was pretty clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrap View Post
                      I don't know what you were watching but that is absolutely not true. Spence was nervous and apprehensive at first, the fight definitely began at Kell's pace and he was the more comfortable and in control of the two. As it went on Spence took over, but in no way did he dominate that fight from start to finish.
                      I never said that Spence dominated. But to me, it felt like he (Spence) was in control for the majority of the fight. Brook had a lot of nice moments. He did. But Spence would always come back with a big run of his own. And then the rest of the time when Brook wasn't having those moments I thought that Spence was controlling the action and putting in more work.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and need to go back and re-watch it. But that's what it felt like while I was watching.

To me it felt like...to use a basketball analogy if I can, it felt like one basketball team (Spence) was up by 10 for the majority of the way, with the other team (Kell) making runs here and there to continually keep it very interesting...but never really overcoming the hump. Spence just kept seeming to keep him at bay. I don't know that probably sounds stupid but that's how it felt to me for whatever it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X