No announcement yet.

Jeffries vs Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeffries vs Foreman

Looking for Thoughts here. Big George and Big Jeff are two of, if not THEE two strongest heavyweight Champions to have ever lived and both had great chins...Jeff with the better stamina, supposedly.

Who wins in a 15 round clash?

If someone else has already done this....sorry.

I'd give it to Foreman.

Comment

With only 21 fights and lack of opponents it's hard to judge Jeff . What would he have been if he was fighting Sam Langford, Harry Wills, Joe Jeannette, i know they all came a little after but you know what i'm saying. I will have to go with Foreman

Comment

Well shoot. I'll go ahead and put my synopsis down.

Personally, surprisingly, I'd favour big Jeff. My main reason being the stamina issue and he was a better technical boxer from all accounts. He started off sparring with Jim Corbett, who was a fantastic technician and picked up some tricks. Now, while not master boxer, he seems to have been more polished than Foreman. Also, he had a good chin, and as mentioned before, good stamina as evidencenced by he 20 round war with Tom Sharkey under the searing heat of artificial lighting at Coney Island.

Geroge, in his prime, went the 10 round distance against Gregorio Peralta; but Peralta was primarily a light-heavyeight who had moved up for a pay day. George dominated many of his fights through sheer physical strengh; he would not have this advantage over Jeffries. He wouldn't be able to push Jeff off and might be pushed back himself, which could throw him off his game.

Unlike Foreman, Jim was not a fast starter most the time and would wait for the right moment to lower the boom. Givin George's average defense and wide-open causeways due to his looping and winging punches, all hell might break loose pretty early; but, ultimately I see Jeffries winning by an 11th round stoppage after a steady pouding by both men, George would be more likely to wear out. It could end earlier; but I give George credit for being tough as nails himself...and Jeffries wasn't exactly a barnstormer.
        Last edited by K-DOGG; 04-29-2006, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
          Well shoot. I'll go ahead and put my synopsis down.

Personally, surprisingly, I'd favour big Jeff. My main reason being the stamina issue and he was a better technical boxer from all accounts. He started off sparring with Jim Corbett, who was a fantastic technician and picked up some tricks. Now, while not master boxer, he seems to have been more polished than Foreman. Also, he had a good chin, and as mentioned before, good stamina as evidencenced by he 20 round war with Tom Sharkey under the searing heat of artificial lighting at Coney Island.

Geroge, in his prime, went the 10 round distance against Gregorio Peralta; but Peralta was primarily a light-heavyeight who had moved up for a pay day. George dominated many of his fights through sheer physical strengh; he would not have this advantage over Jeffries. He wouldn't be able to push Jeff off and might be pushed back himself, which could throw him off his game.

Unlike Foreman, Jim was not a fast starter most the time and would wait for the right moment to lower the boom. Givin George's average defense and wide-open causeways due to his looping and winging punches, all hell might break loose pretty early; but, ultimately I see Jeffries winning by an 11th round stoppage after a steady pouding by both men, George would be more likely to wear out. It could end earlier; but I give George credit for being tough as nails himself...and Jeffries wasn't exactly a barnstormer.
          ** Put George in those little 4 oz gloves and you'd have murder on your hands.

Don't kid yourself. Jeff was a major natural talent and took on all the black and white contenders of his day from his first day at pro, but he had a very primative style that don't tranlate into the modern era. He was beat up by Corbett and Fitz in their first fights before scoring a late KO.

Peralta was a very underrated, very crafty fighter. 99-9-9 and was tough on heavy contenders like Lyle even in his last fights. I love Jeff who is a very underrated fighter, but stylistically, he'd be whacked out by Foreman in 4 rounds. It'd be a great brawl while it lasted as Jeff would give it his all, but he just never showed he could handle a really big guy and Foreman always blasted out the big guys.

Comment

4 ROUNDS??

Can't see it. I'm not saying there's no way for George to win; but that I can't see.

Comment

thats true i take back what i said about lack of
              Originally posted by LondonRingRules
              ** Put George in those little 4 oz gloves and you'd have murder on your hands.

Don't kid yourself. Jeff was a major natural talent and took on all the black and white contenders of his day from his first day at pro, but he had a very primative style that don't tranlate into the modern era. He was beat up by Corbett and Fitz in their first fights before scoring a late KO.

Peralta was a very underrated, very crafty fighter. 99-9-9 and was tough on heavy contenders like Lyle even in his last fights. I love Jeff who is a very underrated fighter, but stylistically, he'd be whacked out by Foreman in 4 rounds. It'd be a great brawl while it lasted as Jeff would give it his all, but he just never showed he could handle a really big guy and Foreman always blasted out the big guys.
              thats true i take back what i said about lack of opponents .But how long would Jeff last with Ali, Frazier, Norton and Holyfield, you just can't compare the two with the time difference in a fair un judgemental way

Comment

Originally posted by darrenshyrockford
                thats true i take back what i said about lack of
                thats true i take back what i said about lack of opponents .But how long would Jeff last with Ali, Frazier, Norton and Holyfield, you just can't compare the two with the time difference in a fair un judgemental way
                ** Under Jeff's rules, Ali would have a tough time because of the little gloves. Ali had fragile hands and they wouldn't give Ali a phoney TKO like he got sometimes. I'd favor Jeff.

Frazier is a managable size to handle, but again, in 4 oz gloves and that trip-hammer left hook, I'd favor Frazier, but anything over 20 goes to Jeff.

Norton would outbox him fairly easily and was strong enough to deal with the clinches. Again, anything over 20 goes to Jeff.

Holy at his best could outbox Jeff, but often Holy had stamina problems, probably as a result of poor steroid use, and Jeff would eat him up anything over 12 rds.

As a modern fighter, Jeff would have to be retrained to beat the best, but under his rules, it takes a big strong slugger like Foreman or puncher/boxer like Norton to beat him.

Comment

Foreman would punch himself out by round 6, and Jeffries would toy with him before knocking him out in about Round 13.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules
                    ** Under Jeff's rules, Ali would have a tough time because of the little gloves. Ali had fragile hands and they wouldn't give Ali a phoney TKO like he got sometimes. I'd favor Jeff.

Frazier is a managable size to handle, but again, in 4 oz gloves and that trip-hammer left hook, I'd favor Frazier, but anything over 20 goes to Jeff.

Norton would outbox him fairly easily and was strong enough to deal with the clinches. Again, anything over 20 goes to Jeff.

Holy at his best could outbox Jeff, but often Holy had stamina problems, probably as a result of poor steroid use, and Jeff would eat him up anything over 12 rds.

As a modern fighter, Jeff would have to be retrained to beat the best, but under his rules, it takes a big strong slugger like Foreman or puncher/boxer like Norton to beat him.
                    Ali didn't have fragile hands until after the forced exile. I would definetly favour him to outpoint or TKO Jeff late with little gloves.

Frazier's a toss up. Given both were slow starters and Frazier picked up speed as the fight goest on, I'd almost favour Frazier for a late round stoppage; but, truthfully, this one could go either way because Jeff presents a similar picture to Frazier that Foreman did...the difference being in who starts faster. Got to go with Joe.

With Norton...definetily have to go with Jeff. Norton froze like a deer in headlights anytime he faced a true puncher. Jeff would stop him around the 4th or 5th.

Holyfield would beat Jeff over the 15 round course. Holy was too active and too tough, not to mention faster and a superiour counterpuncher with a great chin. Holy by UD....maybe later round TKO from bustin' Jeff up.
                    Last edited by K-DOGG; 04-29-2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X