No announcement yet.

So I just got wobbled in sparring...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just got wobbled in sparring...

I have gotten hit with good shots and gotten stunned, but this is the first time I felt my self get wobbled. We were exchanging in a rather fast paced manner and I didnt see the left hook coming that caught me right on my chin. I quickly regained my composure as I saw my sparring partner come at me and we started trading again. I have had no fights just sparring, been training for years finally got my self registered with USA Boxing for this year. Here is the deal, I kind of feel down about it. I dont care if I get wobbled in each sparring session I am going to keep coming back to better my self. But Im just wondering about my chin. The guy was 130lbs, Im 152lbs. In a real match Im going to be fighting some one my own size with 12oz gloves. I know when you get hit right on the chin thats when it gets you, especially when you do not see it, but I guess I have seen some damn good chins in my time. And to make matters worse this all went down in sparring against a lighter guy. Should I feel down or is this some thing that just happens? Any way I can increase my punch resistance? Should I have been able to take that punch? I know the goal is to not even take that kind of punch and I will work on that just wondering. I have reached a new found respect for alot of boxers especially pro boxers. Damn, I think I might be a chinny bastard.

Try rolling with the punches. I'm in the opposite position as you where I constantly spar guy 15+ lbs heavier than me since I am the lightest in my gym. I weigh 132 lbs. Not bragging or anything but I have never been wobbled in sparring, I have been stunned a couple of times and have been dropped with body shots but I never been wobbled with a shot to the head.

And from what I believe is the reason is that I roll with the punches, you can`t take punches all stiff unless you`re margarito. You have to roll with them and take some of the impact off.
    Last edited by johncods; 03-02-2012, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Zarco, don't stress this. I was fighting at 147 and sparred with this guy who was smaller, Tony Rodriguez was his name. Super nice guy but man did his punches carry some power. Hardest hitting fighter that I think I threw with. Anyway, he would stun me and the next day I show up to do it all again and the next day etc. Bronco McCart was a stern puncher, not clean ko power but crisp, sharp and precise. What I'm getting at here is it happens and you just have to learn from it and continue moving forward.

Most fighters will lie when asked if they were hurt or stunned by certain blows, they will admit to a good shot but being hurt would show weakness in their minds. If you step up to throw fists you are almost certain to eat one that will leave your senses a bit discombobulated, in these moments you must remain calm enough to realize what is happening and react properly under extreme diress. I got stunned plenty of times, wobbled plenty of times and I got knocked cold in one fight. When I got ko'd I was a senior in highschool and I was suspended by the abf from competing and sparring for the next 90 days. When it was over I was back in the gym doing it all again.

When hurt everybody at that exact moment will be reacting on instincts. I was most dangerous when hurt, I always fired back and this may have been a fault of mine. But under attack and hurt will show your natural tendancies, you either fold or you fight.

No matter what anybody tells you just know that every fighter gets wobbled. The more it happens the more accustomed you will be to it and you will learn how to fight and react in those situations. You picked a tough sport, good luck to you..........Rockin'

Comment

Take the time to correct what your doing wrong, ask your spar mate if your giving something away! Most times getting hit with hooks when exchanging is from standing to straight in the air and squaring off with your shoulders but theres many more situations. Ask your mate what hes seeing, your sparring partners are gonna see all your good and bad attibutes so find out.
        Everybody gets wobbled and weight hasn't a thing to do with it. Proper technique with speed and accuracy adds to a punch from a guy with minimal power, then if the punch its seen it has that extra supply of hurt!!!
        Its like teaching a fighter how to take an 8 count, you actually talk about it and how you need to get to knee and slowly get up so that adrenelin isn't flying but until it happens you don't know for sure how you'll react but you need to talk about it so it has a chance to register when and if it does happen. Lots of lessons to learn and some you can't simulate. Ray

Comment

It happens to everyone. Just don't sweat on it and let it eat you up. Think of it this way: you weigh 152, but you could also wobble some of the guys at 175, just like the smaller guys can do it to you. If you don't see the punch coming, then hey ho, welcome to being a human.
          Get out there tomorrow and don't think about it

Comment

a lot of great advice.

Comment

They say the punch you don't see tends to hurt the most. I remember seeing one guy take a shot right on the temple and he fell like a card board cut out.

He said he never saw the punch coming. I wouldn't worry or let it get you down. I find worrying dents the confidence a lot more.

Comment

Thanks every body. I was feeling down because I felt I should have been able to take that punch, I watch too much pro boxing. But Im a beginner and not even in top form. I breath with my mouth open and I got caught right on the chin like that, I can actually feel by bone a tad sore from where I got hit. I didnt have a hand up to my chin and that was my fault so I will just keep learning and try and get better.

Comment

Working...
                X