Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: I have been offered a job in Ciadad Juarez, what should I do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just made quick researches.

You're your own boss, but I would advise you to not go there. The offer, as far as commodities and money, is good for a reason.................

Here, a quote from a rpofessor working there :

''I have advised my student that I shall not give classes anymore during evenings, because I want to find my family alive and well.''

-Rodriguez, a law professor

Comment

Take the job. I live in Juarez and can tell you that the violence has gone down considerably. Buy a home in El Paso and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
        I applied on a whim to AUCJ as a visiting scholar for the spring. I received an offer which is very tempting [3000 USD month, free housing and insurance] but I know that city is famed for being dangerous.

I have dedicated myself to research and academe, 3000 is good in a developing country for a single guy with no rent. However, the security situation is bad is over 3000 homicides there is 2010 and an average of 8 murders a day.

The plus side would be the chance to live and work in Mexico, to travel the US with ease and hopefully score some strange.

As my e-homies, what advice?
        Stay out of the boarder towns. If you're an idiot, by all means go. Border towns are dangerous dude

Comment

I have decided to hold off for the moment. Partially cos I applied for a job in Honduras and got good feedback. Its easy to get a job in Latin America it seems. I will finish my research in 18 months and then definitely have that adventure.

The Honduras job is in Tegucigalpa. Its teaching secondary school and pays just $800/month. Too low for me to take it.

The kid from Juarez a few posts up, is it as bad as we read in the news?
          Last edited by fight_professor; 12-25-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. My aunt died and I had family stuff to do.

As for Juarez, turned down the offer. Stuff like this is why:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=200

10 killed in 1 night! 6-8 murders a day!

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
              Sorry for the delay. My aunt died and I had family stuff to do.

As for Juarez, turned down the offer. Stuff like this is why:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=200

10 killed in 1 night! 6-8 murders a day!
              You turned away the biggest adventure in your life. Your chance to not be mediocre.

Comment

take the job those killing are gang-related

Comment

From the gov's website.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5440.html

Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua: The situation in the state of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, is of special concern. Ciudad Juarez has the highest murder rate in Mexico. Mexican authorities report that more than 3,100 people were killed in Ciudad Juarez in 2010. Three persons associated with the Consulate General were murdered in March, 2010. You should defer non-essential travel to Ciudad Juarez and to the Guadalupe Bravo area southeast of Ciudad Juarez. U.S. citizens should also defer non-essential travel to the northwest quarter of the state of Chihuahua. From the United States, these areas are often reached through the Columbus, NM, and Fabens and Fort Hancock, TX, ports-of-entry. In both areas, U.S. citizens have been victims of narcotics-related violence. There have been incidents of narcotics-related violence in the vicinity of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.
                  Stay away, bro. **** is crazy over there

Long story short, my boss traveled to Mexico for her dad's funeral. At the funeral she is approached by a man who asked to confirm her identity. The guy then informed her that they had extensive knowledge about her and her extended family living in the states.

CRAZY.

Comment

There will be other adventures, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X