No announcement yet.

Newspaper Decisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Decisions

didnt know about this...thought it was interesting when i looked at harry greb's record

Newspaper decision
    From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Unheard of these days, but common during the early 20th Century in North America, a "newspaper decision" might be made after a no decision bout had ended. A "no decision" bout occurred when--by law or by pre-arrangement of the fighters--if both boxers were still standing at the fight's conclusion and there was no knockout, no official decision was rendered and neither boxer was declared the winner. But this did not prevent the pool of ringside newspaper reporters from declaring a consensus result among themselves and printing a newspaper decision in their publications. Officially, however, a "no decision" bout resulted in neither boxer winning or losing.

Note: BoxRec.com Editors and other boxing historians sometimes use these unofficial newspaper decisions in compiling fight records for illustrative purposes only. These usually are designated as "ND-W" for a win, "ND-L" for a loss, and "ND-D" for a draw. BoxRec uses NWS-W, NWS-L, and NWS-D.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Newspaper_decision

won 103 (KO 48) + lost 8 (KO 2) + drawn 3 = 115
    rounds boxed 956
    Newspaper Decisions won 157 : lost 12 : drawn 15
    rounds boxed 1634
    Total Bouts 299 KO% 16.05
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9019&cat=boxer

I have done a lot of research on No-Decision bouts. The thing I found out is that some newspapers will differ some, and at times, a lot. Around where I am from, the Paterson newspapers would favor the boxing from Paterson and the Newark newspapers would favor the boxer from Newark. Now who gets the so called "Unofficial Newspaper Decision?"

When I did my research, I would try to look at several newspapers, to find out who actually won and then I would note if there was a difference.

Honestly, I think it is good idea to put them in like they do on BoxRec. I am one of their editors, and that is what I have been doing. This way a boxer don't have 100 or so no decision bouts on a record and by doing so it gives you a good idea what there actual record is.

Comment

Many times they were decieving as one newspaper would have one the winner and another have the other fighter winning. Plus many reporters that were at the fights were guests of a promoter and was there only to promote their fighter.

Comment

Difficult to call given hometown bias of papers but to put the other view, what decision would you respect, the decision given by 3 judges who are beholden to Don King or the view of a dozen respected ring journalists such as Hugh McIlvanay?

Comment

Working...
        X