Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Fed Up Of Dodgy Amateur Matchmaking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Fed Up Of Dodgy Amateur Matchmaking?

Hi everyone

I thought i would start this thread as tonight I was meant to have a bout. I have had 2 so far, but have had about 6 cancelled. Tonight I was matched at 72 Kg with a boy from Mayflower ABC in Devon, England. It took me an hour and a half to get there, and I weighed in as soon as my trainer got to the venue. I weighed in at 69.5 Kg, as I hadn't eaten since lunchtime that day for fear of coming in too heavy lol. The Boy I was meant to fight came in at 74Kg, nearly 5Kg bigger! Needless to say the bout didn't take place, making this the 3rd bout I have had cancelled this season. 74 is too heavy for a 15 year old anyway lol. I am getting extremely frustrated, and i think I am going to lose a bit of weight so I can find matches more easily. My freind was meant to have a fight a few weeks ago and drove two and a half hours to get to the venue only to find out that the boy he was fighting had a mental breakdown in the dressing rooms and started crying so he couldn't fight .

I was wondering whether anyone has had any similar experiences and how you think about it.

I was on about this beofre in some other thread. It is why so many people turn pro so soon. When you're young you have time for this **** and even go to shows as a spare. Best thing to do is only travel far if you are in a tourney. Open comp is not worht travelling for

Comment

I was on about this beofre in some other thread. It is why so many people turn pro so soon. When you're young you have time for this **** and even go to shows as a spare. Best thing to do is only travel far if you are in a tourney. Open comp is not worht travelling for
      lol yeah i know i always go to shows as a spare but never get bouts lol. I have to travel because im too heavy for my age lol my trainer said there is like 2 boys at my weight in a 30 mile radius

Comment

happens all the time around here. i feel like usa boxing does a good job in our region of protecting fighters and making competitive fights, but this is something you can't really avoid. if there's 5 kids at the same weight with roughly the same number of fights, someone's not fighting.

Comment

You just gotta suck it up. Last year when I fought in the gloves I was in the 165lb weight class in which I didn't belong. I know those guys natural weights had to be about 180 to 185lb. You get in the weight class you want, don't like it? Go down.

Comment

Next time you agree to a 72kg bout, don't come in 2.5kg's lighter, that's pretty stupid... Come in a little over the agreed weight, that way they can take it or leave it.

In this case, your fight would have happened if you weighed what you were supposed to. You ****ed up more than he did.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
              Next time you agree to a 72kg bout, don't come in 2.5kg's lighter, that's pretty stupid... Come in a little over the agreed weight, that way they can take it or leave it.

In this case, your fight would have happened if you weighed what you were supposed to. You ****ed up more than he did.
              Same goes for other guy. If he weighed in close to weight then the fight would have gone on. They were both around 2Kg's off as the officials round it off in open comp when they ask other guy if they want to fight. This was down to the thread starters trainer. I have fought someone heavier by 4.5kg's by slipping in weights down ya shorts! They should have weighed him before official weigh in to know he was under. My trainer weighs us before we set off to see who needs to eat and who needs to drink.

lol yeah i know i always go to shows as a spare but never get bouts lol. I have to travel because im too heavy for my age lol my trainer said there is like 2 boys at my weight in a 30 mile radius
              If you're young an still studying, then being a spare can be handy. I did get bouts when I did this. You have to be willing to throw yaself in deep end and fight people that outweigh you or even outmatch you. I was willing to do that and got about 6 or 7 bouts out of 20 shows I went to as a spare! They were all local shows though and I would have been there anyway. People should not be afraid of taking risks in the am's. Even if you don't punch holes through people like me, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain as you are only there to learn! I learned that I was a bad man....

Comment

Set-backs happen, its all part of the game. I used to weigh in almost every tournament and averaged only 4 fights a year! just wasnt enough boxers around at my weight and age at the time, or no-one wanted to mess with the 14 yr old 44.5 kg stick of dynamite that I was lol.

Anyway if you really are having trouble getting fights you could have had an exhibition with the guy that wouldnt count on your record seeing he was heavier. All about getting experience.

Comment

Well said. Also, like you say it is part of the game so don't let it get to you. there is nothing you can do about it! I took out the frustration on the next guy that di fight. Having said that when you enter tourney's the fights do happen. Sooner or later you will get some fights. I would recommend having an actual bout than a glorified sparring session. It's only AM's so do not worry about the L (especially if the guy was bigger)!Who knows, it might even make people you're own size think you're worth fighting.....

Comment

Happens to everyone.

I have had one bout (win) and two exhibitions, five bout cancellations. Just gotta suck it up man. I just waiting and waiting for my time to fight next man. Just got to be fight ready all the time.

I got anouther fight schedualed for Dec 6 against a kid with no fights so that will be fun. After that I think I will be on the road if that does to the plan. And in January there is a club show at my gym that I will really work to get a match on. Now you see if I am lucky, I will get one of those matches...

Comment

Working...
                    X