Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I learn to use my hips for a punch? I find it very hard to learn!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I learn to use my hips for a punch? I find it very hard to learn!

Any drills advice etc to help me "get" how to use my hips in a punch?

My problem is that I cant control my hips without some kind of mental cue e.g. putting out a ciggerette is a mental cue that gets my hips working, but it only works some of the time I think my hips havnt been used much and I dont have much control over them basically.

This is so hard for me to learn despite lots of practice and my tuition isnt great but its all I can afford right now, so any help on this would be greatly apreciated!!!

if you stand sideways how can you not rotate your hips with your punches...your back hand is suppose to be moved by your backfoot which inturn will rotate your hips....your fist is just the delivery unit

Comment

Lift your heels and twist on your toes.

Actually, "putting out a cigarette" is the perfect mental image.

Comment

yep putting out a cigerrete,lol when you throw a hook you dip to the side the punch is coming from then come back the other way turning your hip with your foot,thats how you put your body weight into the punch

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX.. View Post
          if you stand sideways how can you not rotate your hips with your punches...your back hand is suppose to be moved by your backfoot which inturn will rotate your hips....your fist is just the delivery unit

Hi thanks this helped a bit.

I was trying to learn how to punch from a 3/4 stance not a side on stance but it seems easier from the side on stance.

I was punching using evrything but my hips, so I was rotating my legs, my obliques (midsection) but my hips were just being dragged along rather than supplying the brute force they are supposed to.

When I do manage to get it right and use my hips my torso whips and the punch is fast and powerful.

Comment

Thanks that helped I wasnt lifting my heel first because I was told its more powerful to keep the heel down. But its slightly easier to learn this way, thanks mate!

Comment

Stand on paint cans. Get in your stance, then put paint cans under your feet- stand on them and punch. You'll find that, once you can't walk with your punches (which is just lying to yourself about your balance), you'll learn how to shift your weight on your feet and turn your hips. That will keep you on balance and make you punch properly. Or you will fall down.

Comment

throw elbows at the bag

Comment

Absolute legend thanks greynotsoold Im definately gonna try that!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                    throw elbows at the bag
                    Great idea thanks mate,

So much good advcie on one forum this place is awesome thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X