No announcement yet.

Let's say all the greatest Lightweights of all time were all competing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's say all the greatest Lightweights of all time were all competing

There's a thread currently asking what would happen in a "round robbin" with all the best heavyweights of all time.

Let's scrap that overrated division for a moment and talk about IMO the greatest weight class in history: the Lightweights.

Taking every great 135er in history at their peak and pitting them against each other... who comes out on top?

I believe Joe Gans to be the greatest lightweight of all time, with Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran right behind him. What say all of you?

oh god.........

too hard

Comment

I don't know who wins but there are some dream match-ups in this fantasy tournament.

Give me tickets to Armstrong v Wolgast, Leonard v Gans, Duran v Ortiz, McFarland v Battling Nelson and Whitaker v Welsh please.

Comment

no one would end up undefeated but it it would be duran , pernell, gans and leonard in the final four,

Comment

Pep outpoints Duran! Then gets TKOed by Armstrong in fifteen exciting rounds.

Comment

I think Duran would edge it by a hair, then there'd be a logjam for second between Leonard, Gans, and Whitaker.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              I think Duran would edge it by a hair, then there'd be a logjam for second between Leonard, Gans, and Whitaker.

Poet
              How does Gans vs. Duran go?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                How does Gans vs. Duran go?
                Duran by close decision.....maybe even a split decision.If they fought ten times Duran might edge the series by the barest majority.

Poet

Comment

Benny leonard would win. Ray Arcel saw them all, trained Duran, and thought Leonard was the best of them all, tied with robinson for the best of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    Benny leonard would win. Ray Arcel saw them all, trained Duran, and thought Leonard was the best of them all, tied with robinson for the best of all time.
                    That's just one opinion though.

Comment

Working...
                    X