Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-1 press conference and fight card update

The Beast Vows to Destroy Kimo at Bellagio Press Conference

Written by Monty DiPietro.

LAS VEGAS, August 13 -- The K-1 Battle at the Bellagio press conference was held today at Vegas' premier luxury hotel. The eight fighters participating in the elimination tournament all looked to be in great shape, eager to fight for the right to advance to the first stage of the K-1 World Grand Prix Final, set for Osaka on October 11. See the matchups here: http://www.k-1gp.net/top541.htm
    At press conference time, Vegas oddsmakers had Michael McDonald the favorite at 2-1, with Rick Roufus ranked second.

The media got a taste of what's to come in the long-awaited American debut of Bob "The Beast" Sapp. The K-1 sensation first splashed water on his Superfight opponent Kimo Leopoldo, then, after offering his hand in apology, repeatedly bumped his chest against the tattooed California fighter, who in turn charged back, before trainers and others on the podium intervened to separate the two. Then it came down to tough talk. Sapp: "Kimo, I have a question, when I knock you out will you go into the fetal position or just lie out flat?" Kimo: "Usually fighters show respect, but some of them have to learn respect, and on Friday I'll teach Sapp a lesson."

Some in the crowd, such as Dutch trainer Andre Manaarrt, chastised Sapp for the unsportsmanlike display. Retorted an unrepentant Sapp, "There are some personal issues between Kimo and me right now, but I will be friendly enough after the fight. I'll visit him in the hospital, bring him some fresh fruit, and other food he can eat through a straw."

Well, at least the American media now knows why Sapp's nickname is "The Beast."

The K-1 Battle at the Bellagio starts at 7:00 pm PST on Friday August 15 (16/8, 3:00 am GMT; 16/8, 11:00 am JST) and will be broadcast live in the USA on Pay-Per-View. Viewers in Japan can tune in to Fuji TV for coverage on Saturday.

Update: Turner Out; McDonald Still Favorite at Bellagio

LAS VEGAS, August 14, 2003 -- Gary Turner has failed his medical test and will not fight at the K-1 Battle at the Bellagio, it was announced today by the K-1 organization. The 32 year-old British fighter could not pass the Nevada Boxing Commission's eye examination. He will be replaced on the card by 32 year-old American fighter Jeff Ford, who had been scheduled for the reserve fight. George Randolph has been added to the reserve fight on tomorrow's card.

After the weigh-in, Michael McDonald was still the favorite to win the eight-man tournament. Oddsmakers at the Bellagio have the fighters ranked as follows:

McDonald 2-1
    Roufus 5-2
    Da Silva 3-1
    Bonjasky 3-1
    White 5-1
    Khattou 10-1
    Romero 12-1
    Ford 15-1

In the main event Superfight, the Bellagio odds board likes the Beast. Sapp is currently posted at -1000 and Kimo Leopoldo at +600. This means that a $10 bet on Sapp pays just $11, while a $10 bet on Kimo pays $60

LOL Kimo ain't gonna teach Sapp ****, hes just gonna get KTFO in about 7 seconds.

Comment

mcdonald will win the k-1

Comment

McDonald is the favourite by las vegas odds.

Comment

They got to put Sapp against guys like Kimo. Look what happens when he fights someone skilled like Mirko......

Comment

I'm with Khattou, I like his explosive style...or with Bonjasky. Sapp in K-1 is a great joke...

Comment

K-1 is making Bob Sapp a rich man. They have him doing so much press he doesnt have time to actually train right.....

Comment

i agree when he fights good fighters he hets whooped and kimo is just a cakewalk for him

Comment

Eric Delfierro will be in the corner of Vernon & Romero, I went 2 weels ago to Ensanada to an amateur event with Eric & Jeremy, he is a cool guy, has the fight club in San Diego.

This will be the first time I order K-1! I have watched it tho when it's on regular tv, McDonald is something, huh? I have to root for Raul tho, I think he is against McDoanld......

Comment

Originally posted by momita
                    Eric Delfierro will be in the corner of Vernon & Romero, I went 2 weels ago to Ensanada to an amateur event with Eric & Jeremy, he is a cool guy, has the fight club in San Diego.

This will be the first time I order K-1! I have watched it tho when it's on regular tv, McDonald is something, huh? I have to root for Raul tho, I think he is against McDoanld......

you'll love it momita mcdonald is awesome and so is carter williams i just ordered it can't wait too see it

Comment

Working...
                    X