Craig Docherty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Docherty

GILMOUR: BEWARE THE KELVIN HALL FACTOR

Craig Docherty's manager has warned Boris Sinitsin that he should fear Kelvin Hall after claiming it will be just as frightening on Friday as Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.
    The 33-year-old European super-featherweight champion from Russia, who is a ringer for his younger Scottish opponent, claimed he was unfazed by his latest defence after taking on fighters any time, any place, any where in Europe.
    But Tommy Gilmour believes Sinitsin's should not underestimate the power of a passionate Tartan crowd, who are desperate for a new sporting hero, at the famous arena.
    "The Kelvin Hall is a bit special," he insisted.
    "Look what it did for Jim Watt and Pat Clinton. It can be quite an awesome place to be in.
    "It's possibly one of the most awesome places I've ever seen in the world and that includes going to fights at Caesar's Palace and Las Vegas.
    "When you get a Scottish crowd at the back of you that is something a bit special.
    "I don't care how many countries in Europe he has been through, I don't think he will meet anybody more passionate and fervent about their local hero than on Friday night."
    But the orthodox fighter from Moscow claimed on Monday that he has no fears about facing the gutsy Glaswegian having gone up the ranks with fights from Gran Canaria to Costa Rica.
    Sinitsin said: "I feel very comfortable because I have always had fights outside Russia so I've been international and I feel very confident of winning.
    "I have obviously done this many times outside my country so I'm not worried at all.
    "I cannot really judge whether it will be my toughest fight yet. I'll be able to tell you more after the fight.
    "This is very exciting for me and it's an ambition to fight here."
    Gilmour is convinced that Docherty is the man to put a smile back on the faces of the Scottish public and lift the gloom which has descended on the country after the international football team's defeat to Norway on Saturday.
    "Absolutely," he said. "We're needing a new kiddie on the block, a new face and somebody that is media friendly.
    "We need someone who the kids can look up to and see that hard work and determination can get you to these heights.
    "I hope that Craig is going to be the person on Friday to put that together.
    "The press and everybody would like a new face and somebody to make us very passionate about our sport again."
    Sinitsin is over eight years Docherty's senior and he is confident that his experience will be the decisive factor during a tough fight he expects to go the full 12 rounds.
    In 53 fights, the quiet Russian has won 46 and lost seven and he is confident that he will not have to think about retiring after Saturday's fight.
    Sinitsin continued: "I have seen video tapes and I think he's quite a good boxer but you can't really see too much on video tapes.
    "I'd rather think about how I fight and not worry to much about Craig.
    "This is no different to any other fight and I have more experience than him and it's all about that experience.
    "It's going to go the distance and I don't think there are going to be many problems.
    "I'm not even thinking about retiring."
    Unsurprisingly Gilmour does not share Sinitsin's optimism in himself and when he was asked when he will retire, it was the Scot who chipped in with the bold reply: "On Saturday."

Can't wait should be a buzz

Originally posted by barryboy
    GILMOUR: BEWARE THE KELVIN HALL FACTOR

Craig Docherty's manager has warned Boris Sinitsin that he should fear Kelvin Hall after claiming it will be just as frightening on Friday as Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.
    The 33-year-old European super-featherweight champion from Russia, who is a ringer for his younger Scottish opponent, claimed he was unfazed by his latest defence after taking on fighters any time, any place, any where in Europe.
    But Tommy Gilmour believes Sinitsin's should not underestimate the power of a passionate Tartan crowd, who are desperate for a new sporting hero, at the famous arena.
    "The Kelvin Hall is a bit special," he insisted.
    "Look what it did for Jim Watt and Pat Clinton. It can be quite an awesome place to be in.
    "It's possibly one of the most awesome places I've ever seen in the world and that includes going to fights at Caesar's Palace and Las Vegas.
    "When you get a Scottish crowd at the back of you that is something a bit special.
    "I don't care how many countries in Europe he has been through, I don't think he will meet anybody more passionate and fervent about their local hero than on Friday night."
    But the orthodox fighter from Moscow claimed on Monday that he has no fears about facing the gutsy Glaswegian having gone up the ranks with fights from Gran Canaria to Costa Rica.
    Sinitsin said: "I feel very comfortable because I have always had fights outside Russia so I've been international and I feel very confident of winning.
    "I have obviously done this many times outside my country so I'm not worried at all.
    "I cannot really judge whether it will be my toughest fight yet. I'll be able to tell you more after the fight.
    "This is very exciting for me and it's an ambition to fight here."
    Gilmour is convinced that Docherty is the man to put a smile back on the faces of the Scottish public and lift the gloom which has descended on the country after the international football team's defeat to Norway on Saturday.
    "Absolutely," he said. "We're needing a new kiddie on the block, a new face and somebody that is media friendly.
    "We need someone who the kids can look up to and see that hard work and determination can get you to these heights.
    "I hope that Craig is going to be the person on Friday to put that together.
    "The press and everybody would like a new face and somebody to make us very passionate about our sport again."
    Sinitsin is over eight years Docherty's senior and he is confident that his experience will be the decisive factor during a tough fight he expects to go the full 12 rounds.
    In 53 fights, the quiet Russian has won 46 and lost seven and he is confident that he will not have to think about retiring after Saturday's fight.
    Sinitsin continued: "I have seen video tapes and I think he's quite a good boxer but you can't really see too much on video tapes.
    "I'd rather think about how I fight and not worry to much about Craig.
    "This is no different to any other fight and I have more experience than him and it's all about that experience.
    "It's going to go the distance and I don't think there are going to be many problems.
    "I'm not even thinking about retiring."
    Unsurprisingly Gilmour does not share Sinitsin's optimism in himself and when he was asked when he will retire, it was the Scot who chipped in with the bold reply: "On Saturday."

Can't wait should be a buzz
    Hey Barry what do you think Docherty's chances are against either Gomez or Arthur, I know he has improved but i still think he's no 3 in GB, what do you think

Comment

Before the Arthur/Gomez fight I would've agreed with you but now i'm not so sure, Arthur's next fight should tell us a bit more about where he's at regarding his confidence which is a big thing for him, this guy Odumasi gave Scott Harrison one tough fight and may have been ahead when stopped in the last round, that was 3/4 years ago but he's still a good test for Arthur.
      Gomez looked shaky against that guy the other week but that was probably down to being undermotivated, i'm sure everyone would like to see a rematch with Gomez & Arthur after seeing the first one.
      Docherty as you say has improved a lot and winning the Commonwealth title has given him a big confidence boost & he seems to be steadily progressing, even though he was cut up in his first defence of the title, he actually has a pretty good defence himself, he moves his head & shoulders very well and has every shot in the book, I do worry about him wanting to get into a scrap however cos' i don't think he's a strong physically as Gomez or Arthur but fights between these 3 guys would keep us busy on the domestic front for a while so hopefully we'll get a least one rematch or Arthur/Docherty which would be a huge fight up here.

EDIT. I should say Gomez deserves to be no.1 but wait until the end of October before you ask me about 2 & 3
      Last edited by barryboy; 10-11-2004, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by barryboy
        Before the Arthur/Gomez fight I would've agreed with you but now i'm not so sure, Arthur's next fight should tell us a bit more about where he's at regarding his confidence which is a big thing for him, this guy Odumasi gave Scott Harrison one tough fight and may have been ahead when stopped in the last round, that was 3/4 years ago but he's still a good test for Arthur.
        Gomez looked shaky against that guy the other week but that was probably down to being undermotivated, i'm sure everyone would like to see a rematch with Gomez & Arthur after seeing the first one.
        Docherty as you say has improved a lot and winning the Commonwealth title has given him a big confidence boost & he seems to be steadily progressing, even though he was cut up in his first defence of the title, he actually has a pretty good defence himself, he moves his head & shoulders very well and has every shot in the book, I do worry about him wanting to get into a scrap however cos' i don't think he's a strong physically as Gomez or Arthur but fights between these 3 guys would keep us busy on the domestic front for a while so hopefully we'll get a least one rematch or Arthur/Docherty which would be a huge fight up here.
        I know what you mean with Gomez he blows hot and cold so much, but hopefully Arthur would get him motivated again, I'd rather see Docherty/Arthur though rather than Gomez/Docherty again

Comment

Gomez has already breeaten both Docherty and Arthur til those losses has been avenged no one can state he is anythign other than Number one I feel.

Craigs time will come though i like him, dont like arthur think he has severe ego problems, but craig seems a great lad and lets face it, if he wins this will havew the best belt out the three.

Gomez should go for a decent title he can always drop back down for a domestic rematch. Admittedly he may be a lamb to the slaughter but so was Lloyd Honeygun when he fought Don curry.

Comment

Funny thing that, both guys totally came off their game plan and were sucked into a fight by Gomez so all credit to him, I think it's the head to heads that get to his opponents cos' he doesn't mess about, looks as if he wants to get it on right then & there I know what you mean though if you compare Gomez/Docherty to Gomez/Arthur, there is no comparison really, Docherty was blitzed whereas Arthur had his moments but I do believe Doc has grown up a bit since then, he showed that in the Jabir fight when he got badly cut in the first 30 seconds of the fight but kept a cool head to pull out the win

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
              Gomez has already breeaten both Docherty and Arthur til those losses has been avenged no one can state he is anythign other than Number one I feel.
              Craigs time will come though i like him, dont like arthur think he has severe ego problems, but craig seems a great lad and lets face it, if he wins this will havew the best belt out the three.
              Gomez should go for a decent title he can always drop back down for a domestic rematch. Admittedly he may be a lamb to the slaughter but so was Lloyd Honeygun when he fought Don curry.
              Totally agree Gomez is no.1 but it's the 2 & 3 spot I have a hard time with and it must be said if the fight ever does come off i'll be rooting for Docherty, he's a sound guy whereas Arthur was/is a legend in his own mind, he's got class no doubt but he needs to keep his ego in check, it just turns people off him.

Comment

BARRY ENJOY THE FIGHT TONIGHT MATE COME ON CRAIG, ILL BE SHOUTING FROM MY FRONT ROOM BRO!

Comment

Cheers mate, can't wait should be some night, the atmosphere will be a buzz and I think Craig can do it probably on points.

Comment

Docherty beaten on points, imo he just didn't let his hands go enough but Sinitsin was a sharp little fighter who knew all the tricks of the trade and nullified alot of Craig's work but for one judge to score it by 6 points to Sinitsin was nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                    X