No announcement yet.

16 oz gloves for sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 oz gloves for sparring

Got some 16 oz gloves but they don't seem as soft/padded as the gloves at the gym and feel like they could produce the same damage as my 12 ozs. Are all 16 oz gloves the same and designed for sparring?

Most brands have separate bag gloves and sparring gloves which are noted in the description when purchasing. Others, there is no distinction. Preferably, all participants in a gym would use the same brand and type of 16oz sparring gloves or maybe even 18's. This should be regulated by the coach or owner of the gym. I get annoyed when some dude tries to sneak his 12oz cheapo gloves into a sparring session which is obviously an unfair advantage and cause unnecessary injury.

Comment

Topboxer win1 16oz are what i use for sparring. Super pillowy

Comment

If they are leather you can probably treat them with something to help soften them. Plus maybe a few rounds on the bag might help.

Comment

They vary wildly. My 16oz grants were harder than 12oz Winnings because of the rigidity of the leather and the type of padding.
          If you can't return them, just be sure to pull your punches a little more.

Comment

Don't forget gloves do get a bit softer as they get broken in. My 16oz winnings over time have become much softer than when they were new (foam is still great and does not compress down to the fist). If you want break them in a little bit right away you could use them on the bag for only maybe 3-4 rounds and then never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              They vary wildly. My 16oz grants were harder than 12oz Winnings because of the rigidity of the leather and the type of padding.
              If you can't return them, just be sure to pull your punches a little more.
              I have to agree with Grant evaluation there.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                I have to agree with Grant evaluation there.
                People call them "pillow gloves", unaware how hard that leather is particularly around the thumb. You have probably noticed that a lot of cuts in pro fights are caused by that. You can literally see it in the replays.

I used my 16's twice in sparring. First time left the guy's face full of abrasions. 2nd time caused a bloody nose within the first minute. I sold them after that and never had problems with other gloves beating up sparring partners.

Comment

Originally posted by Outboxxed View Post
                  Got some 16 oz gloves but they don't seem as soft/padded as the gloves at the gym and feel like they could produce the same damage as my 12 ozs. Are all 16 oz gloves the same and designed for sparring?
                  depends on the brand and padding distribution

you definitely will have to break them in to get the feel of those you already have at the gym

16 oz are usually to spar in.....12 are fight gloves for ams and 10 oz are for pros under 154

Comment

Honestly depends on the brand but yes 16oz gloves are probably the best for sparring to be honest.

At least that's what I use when I spar

Comment

Working...
                    X