Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do fundamentals actually matter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never mimic pros. They are genetic freaks and seasoned with a ton of experience. They can get away with things you can't. Do yourself a favor and get your fundamentals mastered. You will find what qualities are special to you and what things you can get away with.

Comment

some good posts in this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Never mimic pros. They are genetic freaks and seasoned with a ton of experience. They can get away with things you can't. Do yourself a favor and get your fundamentals mastered. You will find what qualities are special to you and what things you can get away with.

thats it... right there ^^

Comment

Gotta crawl before you walk man

Comment

A lot of the time that I see guys losing, it is because they are ignoring the fundamentals.

Even in the pro ranks, a lot of people forget about these things - and they almost always pay the price for it. For every fighter who ignores the fundamentals and gets away with it, there will be fifty who ignore the fundamentals and lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkety View Post
              Hi, I’m new to boxing but I loved watching boxing, and I was wondering if the whole basic stuff my coach and many others teach is not very good. Im taught to always keep my hands up, never over commit and unbalance myself never cross my feet and don’t have a squared stance, keep my punches tight etc but many videos I see of Elite boxers don’t follow these. Many boxers do tend to walk around opponents and cross their feet all the time. The likes of Ali, Joe Walcott and Roy Jones JR seem to always have their hands down. Seeing Ali hit the heavy bag it’s like his hands are always down by his hips, and same with Floyd. Ruddock drops his hand so much to load his punch, which Is a huge tell and a giant no-no according to most trainers. Mike Tyson has a very squared stance which shouldn’t work because it gives more area to be hit, and Pacquiao literally jumps into his right cross, like technically he should’ve been way off balance but always seems to land it? Deontay wilder swings like he’s in a street fight and George foreman always seem to not have very clean punches, and I see many people commenting how they both lacked skill and fundamentals but they win anyways. Inoue puts his opposite hand down when throwing hard hooks, but you’re supposed to keep it up to block counters. Are these people just genetic freaks or are basic techniques not very useful?
              Once you’ve mastered footwork, range/ distance and blocks, parries and head movement, you can break the rules with where you hold your hands - providing you’re good enough and get away with it.

Nothing annoys me more than seeing boxers who insist on fighting with low hands, but can’t pull it off and still get hit a lot.

It’s whatever works for you - but footwork, balance and distance control are the fundamentals that everyone needs, regardless of style.

A good jab is also something every boxer should have in their arsenal.

Comment

You can’t do unorthodox things till you understand the basics, I dare you to try to be Roy Jones against someone using just fundamentals see what happens.

Comment

Most def! Investment in mastering fundamental skills provides great returns. Once a fighter can appreciate them as a base on which he can rely anytime, then he's truly able to determine whether specific individual techniques make him a more effective athlete.

The analogy in fashion is a designer who first studies classic styles to know why they are timeless, then choosing to break "rules" consciously to further his art. Without that grounding in fundamental fashion, he's just a hack.

Comment

Yes they matter very much or they would not bother teaching them. Just because a few great fighters don't follow them doesn't mean you should ignore them and do what ever you please.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
                      Listen to your trainer. Before you attempt musical improvisation, you gotta practice a lot of scales.
                      That was pretty good

Comment

Working...
                      X