No announcement yet.

Question about Marciano's strength

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Marciano's strength

I read a lot of posts where people say that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever, second only to guys like Foreman, etc. I am curious how people come to these conclusions. It seems to me that it is highly unlikely for a 5'11 185 lb guy to be stronger than, say, a 5'11 220 lbs guy like Tyson, or other guys like Tua, Lewis, etc. I don't have any concrete proof that these bigger guys would be stronger--does anyone have any legitimate info about how much Marciano could bench, etc?--all I'm saying is that it seems unlikely. I mean, look at the guys at those worlds strongest man contests and powerlifters--all those guys are huge, bulky guys. Seems like the more muscle you have, the more strength you'll have. I agree that some strength is natural, and I'm sure Marciano had a lot of natural strength, but I want to see some hard evidence that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever; and don't tell me its because he was able to push around his opponents, cause none of the top guys he faced weighed over 200lbs.

That's just not true, check boxrec and you'll see he fought several opponents over 200 and even 210 pounds. Archie Moore said Marciano was without a doubt the strongest man he ever fought and the Ol' Mongoose fought plenty of big strong heavyweights. Joe Louis said it hurt to bump into him and praised his strength and Louis defeated several 250+ pounders who would have been giants and considered extremely strong even by today's standards. If Louis was even impressed with his freakish strength, it was very real.

Comment

yea Joe Louis up to that point said Max Shcmeling was the the hardest hitter he fought but after the fight with Marciano he said Marciano hit harder

Comment

I know that he was strong and hit hard, but I just wanna see if there is any hard evidence to prove he was one of the strongest fighters ever. IMO its really hard to say who is the strongest unless you have their bench press/dead lift/ squat records, or some other uniform method of testing strength. It's hard to say who is the strongest, but there is definetly something to be said for a 220 lb muscled guy like Tyson being stronger than a 185lb Marciano. Tyson had natural strength just like Marciano, but he also had 35 lbs of muscle on him. Same with a lot of other big heavyweights, like that kid Sam Peter, or Ibeabuchi. Marciano pushed around 200-210lb guys who were decent fighters, but did he push around 250 lb+ guys? Maybe, but if he fought a 250 lb guy it was probably some fat bum from early in his career. I just can't see Marciano being stronger than guys like Tyson, Lewis, Tua....unless someone can show me some good evidence.

Comment

Tyson lacked natural functional strength and was easily pushed around by most opponents. I don't see the comparison. Maybe Tyson moves Marciano around in the clinches but if so it's due to the weight. Pound for pound he was MUCH weaker than Rocky.

Obviously no one thinks Marciano bulls Samuel Peter around, but he was extremely strong for his size.

Comment

Its very complicated.

Mike Tyson can probably bench press more than Holyfield, Lewis etc. But he wasn't VERY strong, atleast not in the same league as a Foreman. Holyfield pushed Tyson and looked like the stronger man, but no way does he bench press more or do more weight lifting etc.

It all comes down to natural strenght, being able to push people, manhandle them in clinches and Marciano belongs up there.

Comment

marciano was built like a brick ****house

Comment

Originally posted by Jenks88
                I read a lot of posts where people say that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever, second only to guys like Foreman, etc. I am curious how people come to these conclusions. It seems to me that it is highly unlikely for a 5'11 185 lb guy to be stronger than, say, a 5'11 220 lbs guy like Tyson, or other guys like Tua, Lewis, etc. I don't have any concrete proof that these bigger guys would be stronger--does anyone have any legitimate info about how much Marciano could bench, etc?--all I'm saying is that it seems unlikely. I mean, look at the guys at those worlds strongest man contests and powerlifters--all those guys are huge, bulky guys. Seems like the more muscle you have, the more strength you'll have. I agree that some strength is natural, and I'm sure Marciano had a lot of natural strength, but I want to see some hard evidence that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever; and don't tell me its because he was able to push around his opponents, cause none of the top guys he faced weighed over 200lbs.
                of course he's not as strong as those guys. pushing archie moore around and then pushing foreman around are two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                  of course he's not as strong as those guys. pushing archie moore around and then pushing foreman around are two different things.

you really are sick aren't you? again posting in yet another marciano thread!!!!!! you know nothing about the man. you have no basis. why do you always make the strength comparison between rocky and foreman? ali couldn't push foreman around either, in fact i don't think any heavy in history ever pushed george around, he was a freak of nature. so what's your point? oh ya, your racist. stop posting in every marciano thread. get over your obsession coward

Comment

Originally posted by dansweeney
                    you really are sick aren't you? again posting in yet another marciano thread!!!!!! you know nothing about the man. you have no basis. why do you always make the strength comparison between rocky and foreman? ali couldn't push foreman around either, in fact i don't think any heavy in history ever pushed george around, he was a freak of nature. so what's your point? oh ya, your racist. stop posting in every marciano thread. get over your obsession coward
                    didn't your mother give you enough love when you were a child? you sound like a very bitter individual.

Comment

Working...
                    X