No announcement yet.

George Chuvalo Would Be The Reigning Heavyweight Champ Today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    i agree with all you have said on this topic, IMO Chuvalo would be undisputed champion today.. His fights with Ali was great fights with Chuvalo applying tremendous pressure and getting his licks in to Ali's body.. Those who don't rate Chuvalo should watch the Documentary George Chuvalo The Final Round

A lot of irony in this when I read your comments about Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      The fact of the matter is Chuvalo lost to just about all of the best heavyweights of his time. Including Ali, Frazier, Foreman,Terrell, Bonavena, Buster Mathis, Zora Folley, and Patterson. So lets not pretend that Chuvalo was some juggernaut in the heavyweight division. You seem to find every excuse in the book for his losses along with making up stories that make the fights seem much more competitive than they actually were. I don't feel good about tearing down Chuvalo who I have lot of respect for as a fighter and a person. But you're ridiculously overrating him with these claims that he would be "undisputed champion today" when his career and talents say otherwise. I don't see Chuvalo beating either Klitschko or even David Haye which is what he would have to do to be "undisputed champion".
      I never said "he would be undisputed champion". I said " I would give him a good chance against the of the contenders today and Vitali would not necessarily beat Chuvalo". Also I like prime Fraizer, Ali, Forman chances against today's heavyweights. Don't forget Chuvalo fought all three of these fighters at their best. And yes I think they are better fighters then Chuvalo but that goes for most heavyweights in history.
      Last edited by Holtol; 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Top 5 contender no doubt about it.. But i have a hard time seeing him get by wlad.. Wlad never had the best chin but he still has excellent boxing ability and a huge size advantage over chuvalo. Plus the reach, jab, and power, I don't think chuvalo would win that fight. Maybe if he gets inside quickly, and roughs up wlad and gets to him on the inside.
        Today's vitali would win a hard fought decision, as chuvalo was very tough and could take vitali's punishment.. judging from vitali not being able to stop Briggs, chuvalo would certainly see the distance. I would still take vitali on points though.
        David haye might very well get stopped if chuvalo can wear him down.. and get by the early onslaught.
        he would be competitive with all of them for sure, and would probably suprise some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          Never knocked down by Foreman, Frazier, Quarry, and fought a close decision to Ali.
          I agree that Chuvalo would be champ. A closer look at his resume shows how exceptional he really was. First of all, he should have been champion when he was robbed of the WBA title in 1965 against Ernie Terrell. Chuvalo clearly won that fight and all of the news reporters were in his corner immediately after the match. Not a single reporter was in Terrell's corner. Why is that? They wanted to take a picture of the winner. Nobody likes to take a picture of the loser first. Boxing was very corrupt then and Terrell was controlled by the Chicago mob. The whole story is in The Last Round: Chuvalo vs. Ali.

That aside, he became heavyweight champ of Canada by knocking out 4 opponents in one night in a total of 12 minutes in the Jack Dempsey tournament. Pretty unreal. Note that he was also the heavyweight champion of Canada for 22 ****ing years! That record will surely never be broken.

People forget that Ali dodged Chuvalo in 1963 when Ali was supposed to fight the winner of the Chuvalo-Dejohn fight and Chuvalo destroyed him right in Ali's hometown. Ali didn't fight Chuvalo until he had to - when Terrell backed out of the fight. Chuvalo took that fight against Ali on 17 days notice. 17 days notice to fight the world champion! He still rose to the occasion and I think it was a very close fight. A lot of Ali's jabs are blocked by Chuvalo and have little power. All of the big punches in the fight were thrown by Chuvalo. If you count all the body shots, you realize that Chuvalo should have been given credit for winning more rounds. Ali went to the hospital after the fight with bleeding kidneys and called Chuvalo his toughest opponent ever.

Chuvalo has 65 knockouts of 79 victories. That's insanely high. He beat the heavyweight champion of Mexico, Italy, Germany, and the British Commonwealth champ Hemry Cooper was too scared to fight Chuvalo, who rightfully deserved a crack at the commonwealth championship.

His fight against Patterson was ring magazine fight of the year 1965 and a lot of people (including Bert Sugar himself, who was at the fight) scored it in favor of Chuvalo.

Chuvalo was ranked in the top ten longer than any fighter in history - 17 years! And this was during the GOLDEN ERA of heavyweights. I'm sorry but I have difficulty believing that the Klitschkos would actually stand a chance against those old fighters. The Klitschkos hardly throw any punches and have NEVER faced anyone in the caliber of a top ten heavyweight from the golden era. Give me an example of a fighter that Klitschko fought who applies the sort of constant pressure like a Chuvalo, Frazier, Quarry, etc. By the way, did I mention that Chuvalo was the first guy to ever flatten Quarry? Oh, right tho... He wouldnt stand a chance against Klitschko? You're delusional.

Let's not forget that Chuvalo was NEVER knocked down in 97 pro fights. Aside from having an incredibly high knockout ratio, he has the best chin in the history of the sport. Watch the video of Chuvalo fighting Cleveland Williams (a fighter who, if you know anything about boxing, is miles beyond the Klitschkos) and rethink your position. You can't show me a highlight reel from both Klitschkos entire career that outshines Chuvalos performance in that one fight alone. The only hope that either Klitschko would have against Chuvalo would be to try and use the jab and stay away. I see Chuvalo clearly outpointing either brother. Chuvalo throws wayyy too many punches compared to those guys. Klitschkos wouldn't even be top twenty in the 60's.

Comment

George chavalo was a durable fighter who took a hard punch and and came forward and punched well to the body. His other assets were that he was extremly rough and worked the inside well.

His weakness were he did not have the reach or the hand speed to quick fighters such as ali and terrell with punches to the head.

I am Canadain and do take pride in georges accomplishments but he did loss his world title fights although I admit to not seeing the terrel fight.

He was a contender for a long time which is something us canadains
            can take alot of pride in. He also is commited to anti-drug programs in our country which shows he a valuble citizen as well.

I am not enough of a boxing analist as some of our more experencied posters so I will not make any comments on how well george would have made out against todays fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              George chavalo was a durable fighter who took a hard punch and and came forward and punched well to the body. His other assets were that he was extremly rough and worked the inside well.

His weakness were he did not have the reach or the hand speed to quick fighters such as ali and terrell with punches to the head.

I am Canadain and do take pride in georges accomplishments but he did loss his world title fights although I admit to not seeing the terrel fight.

He was a contender for a long time which is something us canadains
              can take alot of pride in. He also is commited to anti-drug programs in our country which shows he a valuble citizen as well.

I am not enough of a boxing analist as some of our more experencied posters so I will not make any comments on how well george would have made out against todays fighters.
              Chuvalo wouldn't win a round against either Klitschko. I'd guarantee it if there was some way I could. He wouldn't touch Vitali and his face would look like raw hamburger after five rounds. Go ahead and watch video if you have any doubt. Chuvalo was a tough guy who knew how to get the most out of his talent, but he couldn't box worth a ****. Someone his size with his skills fighting a Klitschko? It wouldn't be very pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Chuvalo wouldn't win a round against either Klitschko. I'd guarantee it if there was some way I could. He wouldn't touch Vitali and his face would look like raw hamburger after five rounds. Go ahead and watch video if you have any doubt. Chuvalo was a tough guy who knew how to get the most out of his talent, but he couldn't box worth a ****. Someone his size with his skills fighting a Klitschko? It wouldn't be very pretty.
                thanks for the insight scott. I have seen vitali fight lennox lewis and a couple of his other fights. He gave lennox hell and dominated the other fighter I saw him fight with his reach and stength. I will take your advise and watch more of his and vlads fights.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  thanks for the insight scott. I have seen vitali fight lennox lewis and a couple of his other fights. He gave lennox hell and dominated the other fighter I saw him fight with his reach and stength. I will take your advise and watch more of his and vlads fights.
                  Actually I meant to suggest that you watch some of Chuvalo's fights.

Comment

Wlad and Vitali would both embarrass him. I hate to say it, George is a great guy and a spectacularly tough dude. But he wouldn't be able to get off on Wlad and Vitali would outland him by a LOT.

Comment

Working...
                    X