Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More skilled: Pernell Whitaker or Ricardo Lopez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More skilled: Pernell Whitaker or Ricardo Lopez?

Lopez and Whitaker are 2 of my all time faves, but often times I wonder who was the more well rounded fighter of the 2. In your opinion, who do you think displayed better boxing skills? Who was better at fighting against all kinds of styles? And who is the more overall skilled, versatile fighter between these 2 excellent technicians?

Very tough if you ask me.
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 07-05-2012, 02:56 AM.

Whitaker proved his skills against superior competition.

Comment

Whitaker proved his skills against superior competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
        Lopez and Whitaker are 2 of my all time faves, but often times I wonder who was the more well rounded fighter of the 2. In your opinion, who do you think displayed better boxing skills? Who was better at fighting against all kinds of styles? And who is the more overall skilled, versatile fighter between these 2 excellent technicians?

Whitaker. Won championships impressively from 135-154 against very good fighters with different styles.

Comment

Whitaker did not use technique, and he fought one way. He just had the athleticism to make it work for him.
          Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Whitaker for me.

Comment

are diferents styles of skills, but I go with switt pea.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker. When looking back at his resume, he took on fights that fighters nowadays wouldn't even consider. He took on "high risk, low reward" fights especially later into his career.

And what always gets underrated about him is that when he entered his 30's, he was going toe to toe and standing in the pocket with his opponents despite being at a significant size and power disadvantage. He is as close to a complete fighter as they come.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  He took on "high risk, low reward" fights especially later into his career.
                  You mean like fighting Nelson and Chavez above their weight class?

Comment

I think Whitaker was better, but Lopez probably was more well rounded and had better boxing skills. Like others have said, Whitaker had the athleticism to make his style work and proved his value against better fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X