Paul Daley On Nick Diaz: "There’s No Way He’ll Stand Up With Me"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Daley On Nick Diaz: "There’s No Way He’ll Stand Up With Me"

http://www.mmahq.com/blog/2011/03/07...nd-up-with-me/

When did you first hear that Strikeforce wanted the Nick Diaz fight to happen as soon as April 9th?

Well it was the week of my fight when I heard a few different things but Strikeforce had announced that they were moving the heavyweight tournament around a little so we expected maybe to hear something.

Not long after I beat Shirai, my manager got the call asking about fighting Diaz on 9th April. I think when Strikeforce knew that the heavyweight tournament would have to be moved then my fight with Shirai was the one result they were waiting for.

Do you think you’ve got enough time to prepare for someone as dangerous as Nick Diaz?

Well first I wasn’t going to take it because I wanted some downtime after this training camp but my team spoke about it and we’re confident that we’ve got a good game for this fight and this is the right decision for us.

I’m going to smash him, take his belt then I can take all the time off I want.

There were situations outside of your control that contributed to the weigh in situation at BAMMA but are you confident that you can hit the 170 mark at Strikeforce?

Yeah the BAMMA situation was pretty messed up because the hotel had locked the Sauna off and that situation made it pretty impossible. In the end I only missed it by 0.4lbs and with a sauna that would have come off pretty easily.

There’s no downtime so I don’t have to do as big a cut so I’m very confident that Strikeforce won’t be a problem.

Do you honestly think that Nick Diaz will stand up with you?

There’s no way he’ll stand up with me. He might think he wants to but his coaches won’t allow it; Cesar Gracie’s a great coach and he won’t want him trading punches.

What holes do you see in Nick Diaz’s game that you can exploit?

His boxing and his lack of wrestling. I’m a better athlete than he is. He’s a really dangerous grappler but he’s got to get in close enough to make it work and I’m not going to give him the chance.

Do you ever want to fight back in the UFC or do you just want to fight?

I just want to fight against decent competition and be able to live the life of a fighter and pay my bills. The thing is there’s a lot of great fighters in different organisations and the UFC doesn’t have such a stranglehold on all the best talent.

It’s great for fighters who want to fight often against good guys and maybe don’t want to fight in the UFC.

So looking on to April 9th then. What are we going to see from Paul Daley?

I’m going to smash him within three rounds. We do have a more complex game plan than that but that’s as simple as I can break it down at the minute.

I think that Nick might just box the shit out of Daley for saying this. To my knowledge, Daley doesn't train with anyone like Luisito Espinosa or Andre Ward. There's no substitute for the folks the Diaz bros are training with as far as boxing goes. That being said, Daley is explosive and dangerous, he's shown tremendous power for his weight and will always keep it interesting in a stand up fight.

I see Diaz boxing Paul in the early rounds until he is worn out and finishing him with a late sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post

I see Diaz boxing Paul in the early rounds until he is worn out and finishing him with a late sub.
      That's how I see it happening.

Except I don't think the fight will make it to the championship rounds. I say Diaz gets the sub by round 3.

Daley does have some heavy hands, so I think Diaz may get dropped at some point. But Diaz always gets back up to win.

Comment

I think that Nick might just box the shit out of Daley for saying this. To my knowledge, Daley doesn't train with anyone like Luisito Espinosa or Andre Ward. There's no substitute for the folks the Diaz bros are training with as far as boxing goes. That being said, Daley is explosive and dangerous, he's shown tremendous power for his weight and will always keep it interesting in a stand up fight.

your crazy..

diaz might have better training partners to work on his boxing but daley is a better boxer. not just in terms of power either but he operates at a much higher skill level.

diaz is just a tall lefty who snaps that jab and it gives alot of ppl trouble cuz they dopnt know how to fight on their feet. he fights pretty much in straight lines and have bullshit headmovement. hes easy to hit, and if hes dumb enough to stand with daley he will get decapitated.

daley has skill on his feet, its not just power. nice guard, can move his head, very good footwork for a mma fighter, fast hands, great accuracy, great flow in his combinations and good punch variety.

i think diaz will win but it will by by taking it to the ground asap, if hes dumb enough to stand hes going to sleep.

Comment

Are you guys mad ??
          If Diaz intends to stand with Daley it will be the most stupid thing he would have ever done in his career...Unlike most of the posters above Diaz is much to savvy to even think about doing such a thing..
          Hes gonna beat Daley where Daley always gets beat ...ON THE GROUND !

Comment

Standing with Daley is a stupid idea...Diaz' boxing is sloppy compared to Daley. He's got speed and horrible power to deal with. Good chin or not, if Diaz gets clipped with one of those hooks he's in big trouble.

Comment

Folks talking about Daley being a threat to Diaz on the feet. Home boy just boxed Zaromskis and KJ Noons like it was nothing. You people are giving Daley too much credit, guy has nice power but he's not that solid of a boxer.

Puncher's chance at best.

Comment

We will soon see if Diaz thinks that he can out box Daley .....
                Daley for me looks one strong ****er standing and his arms look like there dangling down by his knees, hes got some absurd power and for me his punch defense looks tight !
                Just don't understand why you guys think Diaz would think it ok to play in to a mans strength...although that being said he has done it before with Lawler but would you say Lawler was as good a fighter as Daley is right now ?

Comment

Folks talking about Daley being a threat to Diaz on the feet. Home boy just boxed Zaromskis and KJ Noons like it was nothing. You people are giving Daley too much credit, guy has nice power but he's not that solid of a boxer.

Puncher's chance at best.
                  Zaromskis and Noon's boxing, or better yet striking ability are overrated. Marius knows how to throw but comes forward in straight lines with his chin up in the air. Noons while better on his feet isn't even a good boxer in just pure boxing and he's even worse in MMA. Daley is a better all round striker than both those guys, a far cleaner and more powerful puncher. Not to mention he uses angles well, can fight going forward and is just as effective on the counter. He's gotten better over time as well with his training at Mike's gym with Manhoef and Hari among others. It's not crazy for Diaz to stand with him, but it's not the best thing to do since Daley has proven over the course of his career to be the more effective striker. Also when you have a submission game light years ahead of Daley, it'd be stupid to not take advantage of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Diaz try goad Daley into coming in for a few exchanges and tieing him up for a submission assault. He'll have a few attempts stuffed but I see it as a matter of time before he locks on a submission for the victory.

Comment

Gomi, Zaromskis, Lawler, and Noones where all supposed to outbox Diaz.......

Just sayin....

Comment

Working...
                    X