Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Mayweather's career been like if he had lost that '0' vs Castillo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    I don't think that would have happened with Mayweather. Just look at the improvement from the first Castillo fight to the rematch. If he lost, not only would he have pushed himself harder for that fight, but he would have spent the rest of his career trying to erase that loss from everyone's memory. I think Mayweather's a fighter who would work harder than any of us could imagine to avoid another loss, and would fight anyone he could to make us forget or disregard that loss.
    It only appears that way because he hasn't lost, but it can't be understated how damaging a loss can be to a fighter on the rise. And one's perception of self is all important when a fighter is in the ring, not what fans think.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
      It only appears that way because he hasn't lost, but it can't be understated how damaging a loss can be to a fighter on the rise. And one's perception of self is all important when a fighter is in the ring, not what fans think.
      Floyd wasn't On the rise when he fought Castillo. He was well established by then. Losses can be damaging to contenders & prospects. But realistically losses are expected in boxing. In fact what is the percentage of undefeated fighters??

Then look at those undefeated guys resumes. Those are the 1's that are most easily picked apart. It is more widely said that those are the fighters more likely to avoid the challenges than those that have a loss or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        Floyd wasn't On the rise when he fought Castillo. He was well established by then. Losses can be damaging to contenders & prospects. But realistically losses are expected in boxing. In fact what is the percentage of undefeated fighters??

Then look at those undefeated guys resumes. Those are the 1's that are most easily picked apart. It is more widely said that those are the fighters more likely to avoid the challenges than those that have a loss or 2.
        True, but even goinh through Floyd's resume, you can se he has a really good resume still, and it's far and away the best undefeated resume, way ahead of Marciano and not even comparable to Calzaghe's.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post

no wonder why no one cares about your opinion. this is priceless right here...
          Truth hurts Floyd idiot

Comment

I would have made him a better overall fighter instead of a counter puncher.
            You'd see him fight more often when he gets an opponent compromised and he'd throw more combinations. You'd see him body attack early in a fight and maintain it to try and break his opponents down.
            Theres NOTHING wrong with a loss if the opponent is quality and you've fought a good fight. Quality men in boxing will learn alot about themselves and their sport when a loss is accessed in a positive way! The greatest fighters ever have losses in their records it didn't bother their growth and as for losses past their prime as long as their not devasting it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't have that crazy fan attachment to the outcome. I understand that anyone can loose, its how it happens that determines if its negative or positive! Ray.

Comment

Nothing would have changed, except maybe a Castillo trilogy would have taken place. I find it laughable how people find all these subtle ways to hate on Floyd, spewing garbage like "he could have been a greater fighter" or "he wouldn't have ducked so much". I know it drives people crazy that Floyd has managed to stay undefeated for so long, while only having one tough fight (which he showed was a fluke in the rematch).

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post

Loses are expected when they happen, but fighters who want to win don't go into the ring thinking that a loss is expected. Losses have to happen but what I'm talking about is the psyche of a fighter as it relates to how he's conducted himself through a career. So when I'm talking about Floyd being on the "rise" I'm not talking about him as a prospect, after all he became champ after only eighteen fights. So I look at career arcs, and IMHO Floyd would not be where he is today if he'd lost. He's built an entire mythology around his 0. Maybe he'd still be a champion, but I doubt the complexion of his career would be the same obviously.

So yeah, losses are common but greatness is not, and how it's attained is a tricky matter or there'd be more icons of the sport.

Comment

I don't think it wouldve changed much seeing as he gave him an immediate rematch. Floyds teanm treated the win like a loss and got right back on plan after therematch.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Nothing would have changed, except maybe a Castillo trilogy would have taken place. I find it laughable how people find all these subtle ways to hate on Floyd, spewing garbage like "he could have been a greater fighter" or "he wouldn't have ducked so much". I know it drives people crazy that Floyd has managed to stay undefeated for so long, while only having one tough fight (which he showed was a fluke in the rematch).
                    Castillo gave him a tough fight in the rematch as well, it was just a much clearer win for Mayweather. It was still tough.

Comment

There would be no Flom0s who barely watched boxing yet claim they been fans for years just doing searches online for boxing tidbits to make up for the years of never watching boxing, these Flom0s are the worst fans in all of sport they repeat everything Floyd says especially that 42-0 crap, and they call everyone a bum who has a loss.

Also he wouldn't have ducked so many challenges and his style would have changed maybe tried to be more flashy with his combos to gain more fans.

Mayweathers main selling point is that he is undefeated and talks so much crap hoping people pay to see him lose, so far its worked and its why he picks his fights carefully and is not very active.

Comment

Working...
                      X