• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson says Jones has to earn a shot at him

The Arizona Republic
    May. 28, 2004 12:00 AM

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...tyson0528.html

Mike Tyson says a fight with Roy Jones, Jr., is only possible if Jones avenges his loss to Antonio Tarver.

"Roy's going to have to knock that guy out," Tyson said Thursday at Central Boxing. "He's got to beat that guy for any credibility."

Tarver knocked out immediate hopes for a Jones-Tyson bout on May 16 with a one-punch stoppage of Jones in Las Vegas.

Despite the stunning defeat at light-heavyweight, Jones talked about continuing his career at heavyweight against either Vitali Klitschko or Tyson, who was joined by trainer Freddie Roach Thursday at the Phoenix gym near 17th Avenue and West Van Buren Street.

Tyson was as surprised as anybody at the loss suffered by Jones, who was considered the pound-for-pound king.

"It looks like the guy intimidated him," Tyson said of Tarver, who during the referee's directions before opening bell said to Jones: "What's your excuse now?"

Tyson made Tarver's talk sound like a psychological jab that set Jones up for the left hand that dropped him in the second round.

"Roy didn't handle that too well," said Tyson, who is in the early stages of training for possible comeback bout July 31. "It was really sad, because we all had some kind of respect for Roy. And I have respect for Roy, you know what I mean."

Meanwhile, Tyson says he is willing to fight Tarver, who said he has earned the opportunity.

"Yeah, I would," said Tyson, who hasn't fought since a first-round victory over Clifford Etienne about 16 months ago in Memphis. "I'll fight him and show Roy how it should have been done: One round."

However, Tyson is at least a couple of tune-ups away from Jones, or Tarver, or Klitschko.

"I'd like to see Mike get active, get a couple of fights under his belt," said Roach, a former Phoenix featherweight who recently returned to the Valley from South Africa after working the corner for cruiserweight Virgil Hill. "Mike knows the protocol. He knows how to do it.

"He knows he needs to fight to get the rust off. Then, he can fight for the championship of the world against any one of them."

An over-the-hill Tyson would still put that bald-headed gooby-looking mother****er to bed inside of three.

Comment

Tyson is old, but he'll still rape tarver or jones. klitschko would be interesting though.

Comment

Working...
      X