Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Klitschkos Belong in a Super Heavyweight division!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They DO fight in the super heavyweight division

If you want to see pre-90s sized heavyweights then just watch light heavyweight

even cruiserweights are on average, quite a bit bigger than old school heavyweights

no matter how many times this is repeated people still wonder in amazement at how heavyweights "back in the day" were so fast - weighing 190 lbs on the night of the fight probably had something to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
      The TS might have a point, if you look at the last 3 men to dominate the HW have been huge guys with similar style of fighting

Lennox, Vitali and Wlad

men under 6,4 simply can only win by a flukey punch, on points they will always lose....i think something has to be done, the height advantage is a big factor, especially if these guys are using the jab to keep the small guy at a distance...
      I dont unerstand the height argument for being the reason they are champions. First of all neither Klitschko is undefeated so they can both obviously be beat, Wlad has even been knocked out in the past so they are not indestructible just good at what they do, its going to take a good fighter with a great game plan to knock them off. You can take a look at any division and find guys that tower over the competition but they are not always at the top of their division. If the height and even weight advantage was the deciding factor in the Klitschko fight how did Haye manage to beat Valuev who is taller and outweighed him even more than Klitschko. Valuev is much bigger but doesnt come close to having the skills of a klitschko. Whether you find it exciting or boring to watch Wlad fight, his skill won that fight not just his size.

Comment

Originally posted by coreyg100 View Post
        Joe Louis would KO Klitschko.
        He'd Ko Wlad.

Comment

It was only a matter of time. Lennox had to hear the same **** all through his time on top.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
            The TS might have a point, if you look at the last 3 men to dominate the HW have been huge guys with similar style of fighting

Lennox, Vitali and Wlad

men under 6,4 simply can only win by a flukey punch, on points they will always lose....i think something has to be done, the height advantage is a big factor, especially if these guys are using the jab to keep the small guy at a distance...
            Agree 100%. Bottom line these weight advantages etc are not tolerated in the lower weights. I think the Klits are overrated. Let them fight more men their own size and I am not talking about a handful of guys over 6'4. They are giant bully minded pricks... Not a fan of these Ukranian phags.

Comment

Yes, height is all you need, which is why Audley Harrison, Tye Fields, Lance Whitaker, Jameel McCline, Michael Grant, Kevin McBride, AND SO ON, all as big as Wlad or bigger, were such GREAT CHAMPIONS.

Comment

Originally posted by OG Keown View Post
                There has never been big guys with the athleticism of Lewis and the Klitschko's before. The only person you can truely say was only effective because of their size is Valuev.
                Primo Carnera was about 6'6" and pretty nimble of his feet as well as his films show. He actually had a reasonably successful career, as far as fighting goes, but was swindled of every penny by his managers and "pals". He made a good living for a while after the war as a wrestler. he also appeared in a few movies, often in a leopardskin rigout. I have pre-War "Mighty Joe Young" movie, where he is a "strongman".

I seem to recall that he fought a guy called Luigi Musina after the war. I saw Musina fight somewhere, but just can't remember where or against whom. I may have been on a trip to the same city.

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Injury View Post
                  They DO fight in the super heavyweight division

If you want to see pre-90s sized heavyweights then just watch light heavyweight

even cruiserweights are on average, quite a bit bigger than old school heavyweights

no matter how many times this is repeated people still wonder in amazement at how heavyweights "back in the day" were so fast - weighing 190 lbs on the night of the fight probably had something to do with it
                  And in truth, the 180-190 lb heavyweights were really NOT fast. The term "lumbering Heavyweights didn't come from nowhere, and it's been around since before I was born. It was a matter of STYLE, also mind set, and athleticism.

If you go back to look at the very early boxing matches, many of which are on Youtube, you'll see many with what we call "modern" techniques. They may have been an exception, but there were more than a few of them. If you look at some of jack Johnson's fights (I think the top heavyweight lies between Johnson and Tyson) you'll see that everything that Ali could do that people made so much about, Johnson could do as well, maybe better. He used to toy with his opposition, often accidentally KDing, but then holding the guy up in a clinch until he'd recovered.

The thing then was NO SHORT FIGHTS. The fans DEMANDED VALUE FOR MONEY. So the top fighters, blacks particularly, made the fights last much longer than they could have, so that the fans went home satisfied and would come again. Black fighters could only make a living that way.

I've heard Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Graziano, Gene Fullmer, Jake Lamotta etc. who iused to be on a boxing show, sitting around talking boxing and old fights, I heard Robinson say....
                  "I often used to have to fight 20 rounds, 10 for him, and 10 for me...." And the other guys ALL heartily agreed and quoted instances of their own. This was perobably sometime in the early 70's. It was a COMMON practice.

Comment

Aside from Lewis-Bowe-Klitschkos, the heavyweights from the 90's to I say 2010ish.. weren't that much taller than the 60's or 70's.

Only an inch difference on average.

Other than Lewis-Bowe-Klitschkos.. there have NEVER been an elite super heavyweight. Never.

That being said, times might be changing.

What I mean is this:

The two biggest Olympic Prospects are :
                    Anthony Joshua 6'6
                    Ivan Dycho 6'8

The current hype are:
                    Price 6'8
                    Fury 6'8 1/2
                    Wilder 6'7

If all of these fighters end up being the real deal and they all go on to dominate the division........ say the next 3 champs are Fury-Wilder-Price, followed by Joshua and Dycho... than a super heavyweight division need to be seriously considered.

BUT as of right now .. throughout the ENTIRE history of boxing

there have only been a handful of 'good' big heavyweights.. Tucker/Awkinade/Golota etc.

and there have only been FOUR elite super heavyweights.

Comment

Or just maybe most of these smaller heavyweights should train harder, stop eating so much **** and go down to cruiserweight.

I'm sure if they did and there was a few tournaments in say Germany that would generate big interest/money.

Comment

Working...
                      X