Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Manny Pacquiao can't beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Manny Pacquiao can't beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Why Manny Pacquiao can’t beat Floyd Mayweather Jr
    By John Raspanti, DoghouseBoxing.com (Oct 7, 2009)

When Freddie Roach said “Floyd needs us – we don’t need him” I grinned and thought to myself “Yep, old fearless forecaster Freddie saw the same thing I did a couple of weeks ago”.

He saw unparalleled speed, skill and slickness. He saw a natural talent, a defensive wizard who shucks and slides and shimmies.

He saw a good fighter reduced to an average one. He saw total dominance on display and I betcha ya he didn’t like it at all. You know why he didn’t like it? Cause he saw his fighter losing. He saw speed versus speed, but his guy was a hair slower. That’s not something he’s used to seeing. Hell, that’s something NONE of us are used to seeing.

Can you imagine “the ninja” Manny Pacquiao, the human buzzsaw, the alleged best fight on the planet, being beaten to the punch? It seems unlikely when you remember his last few fights.

Manny looked very good in dismantling and knocking out David Diaz. He looked razor sharp and as quick as a lightening rod in dominating a faded Oscar De La Hoya. In the ring with Ricky Hatton he showed speed, footwork and awesome power in knocking cold the tough Brit from Manchester. But are all these natural attributes enough to topple “Money” Mayweather?

I don’t think so and in a minute I’ll tell you why. Trust me it pains me to say ‘it’ because I’m pretty tired of Mayweather’s act, if it is an act. I have no idea what ‘it’ is. Who knows where the act begins and ends.

Whatever it is it works and the act never gets in the way of the fighter, and what a fighter he is.

Ok, let’s look at why I don’t think Manny can beat Floyd. For awhile now Manny has been using his speed and improved footwork to beat his opponents around the ring and to the punch. With the help of Freddie Roach his balance has improved, along with his combinations and accuracy. Roach has taught Manny how to harness his natural aggressiveness which in turn makes him a much more dangerous and difficult fighter to deal with. Couple this with an amazing work ethic and desire and what you have is a compelling creation of a fighter. Manny has grown with each fight literally and figuratively. Floyd can’t touch the humilty and honesty that Manny projects, which touches people and inspires them to follow and admire.

Now let’s talk about Floyd Mayweather. I know he likes to flash all his money, hence his nickname. I think he’s more “the natural”, the same title of the Robert Redford baseball movie. Redford played Roy Hobbs who was born to play baseball. He can do it all, pitch (striking out a character based on Babe Ruth) run and later (after getting in the way of a bullet) hit. Boy could he hit.

That’s Floyd Mayweather the natural, born to box. His genes spill with boxing blood, it’s all he knows. It’s the thing he was meant to do. Floyd has worked hard but never as hard as Pacquiao. He hasn’t had too. His footwork and balance have always been top notch. His defensive ability is “Willie Pep like”. His hand speed is blurry, his combinations blistering. Not with a lot of power mind you, but accurate and stinging. Combine this with a newly discovered jab (thank you daddy Floyd) and what you have is a nearly impossible mountain to climb especially if you’re eyeing him from the opposite corner.

Floyd is two inches taller then Manny and with a reach advantage of… five inches. Yep, five inches, I can certainly see Floyd in the middle of the ring using this advantage. He’s the bigger man and yes the quicker one. Manny has never faced anyone like Floyd Mayweather, if he has any doubts he can ask his friend Juan Manual Marquez what it was like. I don’t think he’d like the answers.

Floyd will “out quick” Manny and hang with him step for step. Manny will find himself on the defensive more as Mayweather’s combinations pepper him. He might get a little reckless as Floyd starts to build a lead in the middle rounds. Manny will continue to try and throttle Floyd, but the money is in the bank as well as the decision.

So there you have it, natural ability versus ability learned and nurtured. It’s the old argument of levels of talent and it seems at least to me that Mayweather has a more of them than Pacquiao.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/John/Raspanti_100709.htm

I'm happy that Floyd Sr is given credit for Mayweather's jab. Great article, all though I disagree with Pacquiao not being able to beat Floyd.

This guy keeps bringing up Mayweather's combination punching. We're not talking SFW, LW or Jr WW Mayweather here. We're talking WW.

Comment

of course PAC can't beat Floyd...Floyd aint fighting anyone...not shane, not the winner of PAC-Cotto..you can't beat what wont get in the ring with you

true story

Comment

even a hater gives Floyd props

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
          of course PAC can't beat Floyd...Floyd aint fighting anyone...not shane, not the winner of PAC-Cotto..you can't beat what wont get in the ring with you

true story
          you really dont think that Floyd wants Pac eitehr? I can see you saying Mosley or Cotto but not Pac either?

Comment

yup.

cotto can't beat floyd.

pacquiao can't beat floyd.

margarito can't beat floyd.

mosley can't beat floyd.

there's no point in those fights happening.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              you really dont think that Floyd wants Pac eitehr? I can see you saying Mosley or Cotto but not Pac either?

he's not waiting for the winner

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313130

he's gonna move on and fight lamont peterson or some ****...the timing will be off and in a year, PAC will be in politics

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                I'm happy that Floyd Sr is given credit for Mayweather's jab. Great article, all though I disagree with Pacquiao not being able to beat Floyd.

This guy keeps bringing up Mayweather's combination punching. We're not talking SFW, LW or Jr WW Mayweather here. We're talking WW.
                AGREE

I've been saying it for a while as well: Floyd isn't that same fighter...even Roach has acknowledged that. The last time he probably put it all together was at WW, but it was against Sharmba Mitchell.

He relies on pot-shots mostly...and even seems hesitant to mix it up. He finally brought back his jab which was nice to see but still missing out on the combos and activity.
                To be honest, I'm not even sold on his stamina in an intense fight against someone strong with good speed anymore.

If this was the under 147 version of Floyd, I would say Yes, Floyd beats Pac and with confidence...even Cotto...but now, not as sure which is why I want to see the fight.
                Last edited by Benny Leonard; 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post

true story
                  Floyd is 2 smart. he is fooling fans, media eevry1 else. he came to fight Pac. hopefully Pac wins 14th November, then it's going to be interesting

Comment

I agree on the combinations point. He's yet to show that he can truly open up anymore. Although he did comment that he was rusty and wished he had used more combinations in the JMM fight.. But we'll see.

Oh, I think Manny is faster than Floyd, just less accurate. Accuracy and precision can make fast look like lightning, I think that's what this writer fell susceptible to.

Comment

Working...
                    X