No announcement yet.

It just doesn't seem right to me.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just doesn't seem right to me.

I hate it when a fight ends with a liver-punch, a la Lomachenko-Linares. A fighter could be dominant and then one well-located debilitating punch could end his night. That wasn't the case here. I think Lomachenko was winning, but I feel that we spectators got robbed of an exciting finish. It's like a low-blow ending a fight. The area is so vulnerable and that creates pain which one cannot withstand. liver-punch is so debilitatingly painful in one spot, seems more akin to leveling someone by hitting him in the testicles.

Its a legal punch and always has been and on top of that its not as easy to land as you think. You can strafe some ones balls almost at will.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
      Its a legal punch and always has been and on top of that its not as easy to land as you think. You can strafe some ones balls almost at will.
      Didn't the Golden Boy himself, de la Hoya, get stopped by someone by a liver-punch?

Comment

Thought the lead up to the liver shot was a thing of beauty, the 5 or 6 punches that set it up. Didn't even know what had happened when I first see it, how fast it was. Only noticed on the replay. Linares on the floor wondering what the **** just happened

Comment

Originally posted by Century Tuna View Post
          Didn't the Golden Boy himself, de la Hoya, get stopped by someone by a liver-punch?
          Not that I can recall

Comment

yes, Hopkins dropped him with a liver punch. It's no different than hitting someone on the chin or temple to end the fight. Except a liver shot is much more painful. Takes your legs out from under you. Perfectly legal.

Comment

I agree, i wish we could of seen a non controversial definitive end like ward destroying kovalev with beautiful bodyshots!

Comment

I hate it when a fight ends with a liver-punch, a la Lomachenko-Linares. A fighter could be dominant and then one well-located debilitating punch could end his night. That wasn't the case here. I think Lomachenko was winning, but I feel that we spectators got robbed of an exciting finish. It's like a low-blow ending a fight. The area is so vulnerable and that creates pain which one cannot withstand. liver-punch is so debilitatingly painful in one spot, seems more akin to leveling someone by hitting him in the testicles.
                Are you suggesting we just stop those sort of punches?
                A liver punch isn't a 100% success ratio it is nowhere near as effective as hitting the nether region because it doesn't matter if the opponent knows or doesn't about a shot going there a lowblow is always debilitating!

Placing a perfect livershot has some variables in it If you look at the fight again Linares got his guard all wrong he was expecting the shot to go up high onto his guard, but instead it dropped to the liver it wasn't placed very hard, but you don't need to place a good liver shot at full throttle for it to work.
                To me landing the perfect livershot is a 10 in 100 type of shot its not easy and I have no problem with it, its not cheap.
                Last edited by M Bison; 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I hate it when a fight ends with a liver-punch, a la Lomachenko-Linares.
                  I absolutely agree 100%, and I think the commissions and boxing orgs need to do something about this. In fact it should be mandatory that all fighters have their livers surgically removed to prevent this from ever happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                    I agree, i wish we could of seen a non controversial definitive end like ward destroying kovalev with beautiful bodyshots!

Comment

Working...
                    X