Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long has the word "cute" been part of Boxing terminology?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Young Bidness View Post
    Term is referred to showmen using “tricks” or fancy styles unexpectedly. For example a bad example of this representation would be Jermall Charlo thinking its a compliment about his purse opposed to the fight itself.
    Yes and typically someone would yell that out when the person attempting such 'tricks' looks ridiculous pulling them off and/or would be lucky to win the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by NORMNEALON View Post
      The term has been around for ages . It is a refrence to a boxer fighting "dirty" and getting away with it . Bernard hopkins was "cute."
      Makes sense since the 2nd definition of cute is "deceiving or cunning"

to me, I always thought cute was a way to describe a very defensive fighter or one with a flashy style

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        I remember in my first amateur bout the ref said I had a "cute jab" and asked me if I knew how to keep a secret...

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
          Makes sense since the 2nd definition of cute is "deceiving or cunning"

to me, I always thought cute was a way to describe a very defensive fighter or one with a flashy style
          It’s a half truth. Cute describes someone doing something they shouldn’t be doing. That could be showing off or fighting dirty. Fighting dirty rarely fits the bill. Guaranteed that I can find 5 examples of it being used to describe showing off to every 1 time it describes dirty fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
            LMFAO @ your avy.

Wilder actually can jab though. He should google how to throw basically any punch that ISN'T a Jab or a Straight Right. He walked out of the Ams like "naw, two punches is good fam."

That body shot he threw and missed on Ortiz....**** that just looked awkward I would have thrown my back out

Comment

I wasn't ****ing around, it's from the 1780s. It means what it means today still, cute is cute. A man trying to stand and trade find a smaller man only getting into range to get away with hitting the first man lightly, is cute.

Mendoza was the original cutie. They're not being nice about it, men are not meant to be cute. He's also the original coward and the original fraud. He's the first boxer type in boxing since the fall of Rome.

Y'all can guess and make **** up or go read about Mendoza.

Quick note on Fancy. Fancy meant enjoyed for a long time. Not so much flashy until like the 20s or so. from 1722-1888 is I read Fancy I know it means enjoy or want or some such. Like I fancy a steak. Fancy was the fans, the promoters, the fighters, anyone who liked boxing was fancy, the fancy, or the boxing fancy.

so let's say it's 1840 and you read "X lands a fancy blow to the nose" could read as impressive or flashy or some such and that'd be close to right but what it really means is crowd pleasing. Cute and crowd pleasing still kinda struggle to be married into one. Floyd is cute, he's not fancy.....in olden terms I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                LMFAO @ your avy.

Wilder actually can jab though. He should google how to throw basically any punch that ISN'T a Jab or a Straight Right. He walked out of the Ams like "naw, two punches is good fam."

That body shot he threw and missed on Ortiz....**** that just looked awkward I would have thrown my back out
                A ****ing overhead or even an overhand. GD does Deontay frustrate me with that. His hooks are whatever, I don't mind them being swings rather than hooks because he at least throws those. His left hook is even at time quite good. His uppercuts are the same, rarer I guess, sloppy, sure, sometime he might throw a decent one here and there, but at least the prick throws those punches. Up, over, and down, not his thing at all and MAN could he really use that.

Imagine Wilder throwing a no look phantom overhead right. Christ man, I don't give a damn if your fan or hater you have to know that punch in his arsenal, even done poorly, would really help him cut mother ****ers off.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  I wasn't ****ing around, it's from the 1780s. It means what it means today still, cute is cute. A man trying to stand and trade find a smaller man only getting into range to get away with hitting the first man lightly, is cute.

Mendoza was the original cutie. They're not being nice about it, men are not meant to be cute. He's also the original coward and the original fraud. He's the first boxer type in boxing since the fall of Rome.

Y'all can guess and make **** up or go read about Mendoza.

Quick note on Fancy. Fancy meant enjoyed for a long time. Not so much flashy until like the 20s or so. from 1722-1888 is I read Fancy I know it means enjoy or want or some such. Like I fancy a steak. Fancy was the fans, the promoters, the fighters, anyone who liked boxing was fancy, the fancy, or the boxing fancy.

so let's say it's 1840 and you read "X lands a fancy blow to the nose" could read as impressive or flashy or some such and that'd be close to right but what it really means is crowd pleasing. Cute and crowd pleasing still kinda struggle to be married into one. Floyd is cute, he's not fancy.....in olden terms I mean.
                  In 1840 everyone went to the match with top hats to have a “gay ol’ time.” Words and their meanings change over time. Clean off your dusty encyclopedia ha

Comment

Originally posted by TheMyspaceDayz View Post
                    In 1840 everyone went to the match with top hats to have a “gay ol’ time.” Words and their meanings change over time. Clean off your dusty encyclopedia ha
                    Reread my post until you understand it. This isn't even a response but rather some words put to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                      Reread my post until you understand it. This isn't even a response but rather some words put to me.
                      Your post was confused and all over the place. Still is. My words make sense. Try harder.
                      Last edited by TheMyspaceDayz; 01-12-2020, 12:06 PM. Reason: Deletion of two excessive words

Comment

Working...
                      X