No announcement yet.

A serious thread regarding Joshua Wilder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A serious thread regarding Joshua Wilder

I am as guilty as anyone of advocating for.my preferred fighter when it comes to talking about these guys, and I think we are all missing out on some proper boxing discussion when it comes to breaking down this match, which we all hope will someday happen.
    So....putting cross Atlantic and other grievances aside....how do you see an actual boxing match between Joshua and Wilder unfolding?

Here's my own take:

I think that Wilder very definitely has Joshua's respect regarding his power- and this would equate to an AJ game plan of not taking risks. In a boxing match, Joshua wins every time, in my view. In a macho war standoff - I believe this is a coin toss. Coin toss because on the one hand Joshua is probably more able to see and exploit an opening in the quickness of an exchamge (does Wilder even throw a close uppercut?) On the other hand Wilder has that anaesthetic put you to sleep right hand which has to be acknowledged as an absolute show stopper (versus AJ's more cumulative effect).
    I do not want to concede that Joshua's power isnt a game changer, it definitely is - but Wilder holds the advantage here.
    What's your take fellow impartial boxing observers?
    Last edited by 15 Rounds again; 05-23-2019, 05:59 PM.

AJ comes out on the front foot and puts it on Wilder, closing the distance and not letting Wilder get his right hand off.

AJ has superior combinations and accuracy, short punches, uppercuts, inside fighting. Deyonce has awful defence when under pressure.

Boom. Goodnight.

AJ wins by KO in 1.

Seriously, guys have a look here at AJ/Klitschko Round 5. AJ comes out and fucks him up. There's nothing Deyonce can do if he's put under that same pressure. It's over.

Deyonce just hasn't been in with an animal like this.

And let's not forget Joshua was green at this stage, hence blowing himself out. He has improved alot since this fight.
    Last edited by EnglishOxide; 05-23-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Each has the power to knock the other out. Obviously Joshua is a better technical fighter, Wilder has a lot more stamina and has an element of surprise, bringing punches from unexpected angles.

Gotta favor Joshua but Wilder has that ya never know factor.

Comment

Wilder is a more flawed boxer, and Joshua is the more flawed athlete.

Wilder can be technically poor and that might cost him, and similarly Joshua can have stamina issues when he over-exerts himself which makes him vulnerable if he gets Wilder hurt but can't finish him.

Power is almost a non-factor because if they land well the other guys in trouble, maybe Wilder has a bit more margin for error here.

I think all in all its a short fight, 6-7 rounds max. The smarter and maybe luckier fighter will win.

Joshua will be looking to set up his power shots, whilst Wilder will wait for counter opportunities and won't be too concerned giving up rounds I don't think.

I pick the more balanced, and poised fighter in Joshua. He can get effective power punches off at range or in close, so I think he's more likely to open Wilder up first, but I'm not at all confident.

Comment

As long as it doesnt happen when Wilders is near 40yrs old(currently 34 I believe). I see them go at it with cautious avoidance and not fully commit to anything very loose or unpredictable. With that being being the "tempo" of the fight, I think Joshua has too many advantages over Wilder in order to put rounds in the bank. IMO, it would be the most important life changing fight for both and I feel that both(more so with Joshua) would be very hesitant to put themselves in a position to get caught and lose.
          Mid to late fight I think Wilder will be backed into a "hail mary" corner where a KO will be his only chance of winning and will go for broke.
          Problem is that I see him taking too much punishment in the first half of the fight and will lose a lot of his speed and snap and Joshua will be able to take advantage thereby getting either a thunderous KO(reminiscent of Dillian Whyte) or a referee stoppage TKO(reminiscent of Klitchsko). But I could also see Wilder getting lucky and connecting on a big right hand during an exchange in the same "hail mary" scenario.
          My money would have to lean with the younger, proven, fundamentally sound and improving fighter though. Win or lose, I'm confident I wont be dissapointed with the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            Wilder is a more flawed boxer, and Joshua is the more flawed athlete.

Wilder can be technically poor and that might cost him, and similarly Joshua can have stamina issues when he over-exerts himself which makes him vulnerable if he gets Wilder hurt but can't finish him.

Power is almost a non-factor because if they land well the other guys in trouble, maybe Wilder has a bit more margin for error here.

I think all in all its a short fight, 6-7 rounds max. The smarter and maybe luckier fighter will win.

Joshua will be looking to set up his power shots, whilst Wilder will wait for counter opportunities and won't be too concerned giving up rounds I don't think.

I pick the more balanced, and poised fighter in Joshua. He can get effective power punches off at range or in close, so I think he's more likely to open Wilder up first, but I'm not at all confident.
            Sometimes i wonder how cautious AJ will be to even start setting shots up. He has been pretty cautious early on in fights, he was cautious with Parker and Povetkin, understanding they have good ability for landing shots.

It’s one thing to be cautious v Wilder and being able to use movement like Fury could. But being cautious and not actually having those abilities might just leave you hesitant and in Wilder’s firing line, which could be your undoing.

At the end of the day, it’s an incredibly intriguing fight, not because it’s the best v the best because i believe Fury already beat Wilder. But nobody is really desperate to see Fury v AJ right now. They want to see AJ v Wilder because it’s more intriguing, both have flaws and styles that mean someone will get flattened.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
              AJ comes out on the front foot and puts it on Wilder, closing the distance and not letting Wilder get his right hand off.

AJ has superior combinations and accuracy, short punches, uppercuts, inside fighting. Deyonce has awful defence when under pressure.

Boom. Goodnight.

AJ wins by KO in 1.

Seriously, guys have a look here at AJ/Klitschko Round 5. AJ comes out and fucks him up. There's nothing Deyonce can do if he's put under that same pressure. It's over.

Deyonce just hasn't been in with an animal like this.

And let's not forget Joshua was green at this stage, hence blowing himself out. He has improved alot since this fight.
              I'd be surprised if it happens in just one round, I expect AJ to feel him out a little before he launches a full attack. I think we can both agree that AJ will likely look to try and get him out of there as quickly as possible, assuming he can do that.

Worst case scenario is, Joshua doesn't take him out after 6 rounds, Wilder carries his power which we've clearly seen. If it goes late on that will be Wilders only chance, assuming AJ hasn't spent his load then I'd think it might be safe.

Comment

Wilder will get demolished.

His inability to cut the ring off and even land a jab against a talented fighter will be exploited by Joshua, and Joshua has lights out power as well. Wilder doesn’t have the best of chins, he’s been rocked and quite frankly I think he gets embarrassed.

This is coming from
                Somebody that picked Wilder after the Ortiz fight, but his vulnerability was exploited by Fury.

Joshua will destroy Wilder they ever fight.

Comment

I'm from the camp that speed beats power. AJ has better skills and slightly better experience with big time opponents, but Wilder is faster and most of the time that is what makes the difference.

They're both big athletes with KO power, so whoever lands first and gets him in trouble should prevail. Wilder has the edge there.

Comment

I think AJ decides it. Wilder will be Wilder - you give him a chance and it's bang goodnight.

AJ needs to be on the front foot. He's nothing like the robot people say he is - he's quick, has a decent jab, and has a high punch output, including genuine combinations. If he's on the front foot I think he's just got too much ability, size and power for Wilder.

The problem is getting on the front foot with Wilder. There's no doubt that was Breazeale's intention but he backed off the first time he got touched. Power will make you think twice. And a half strategy against Wilder is inviting trouble.

I think it's a coin toss and no shame in losing. Just get the rematch on and toss the coin again.

Comment

Working...
                    X