• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire laughs off Darchinyan’s dare

Donaire laughs off Darchinyan’s dare
    By NICK GIONGCO
    August 25, 2009, 6:29pm
    While Nonito Donaire is training his sights on a pair of Mexicans as possible foes in the near future, Australian Vic Darchinyan remains on his radar screen, although at this juncture, the loud-mouthed Aussie is a mere bleep in the scheme of things.

More than a week after becoming the interim World Boxing Association super-flyweight crown with a win over the over-weight and surprisingly tough Rafael Concepcion of Panama, Donaire on Tuesday told the PSA Sports Forum that he is not running away from Darchinyan.

“(Darchinyan) talks a lot,” said Donaire, disclosing that Darchinyan could have exercised his right to call for an immediate rematch after being knocked out in five rounds in July 2007.

“There was a clause in our contract that a rematch could be made immediately afterwards (but he chose not to fight me again),” said Donaire, who is more amused than insulted by repeated calls by Darchinyan that the Filipino is afraid to sign up for a second meeting.

“I don’t promote fights. (Darchinyan should) go to (my promoter) Bob Arum (of Top Rank),” said Donaire who was joined by his wife Rachel during the media affair.

The more feasible fights out there for Donaire are with Jorge Arce and Fernando Montiel (at bantamweight).

Arce, should he win his next fight next month, could be next in line for Donaire in another Pinoy Power slugfest to be promoted by Arum on December 12 in Las Vegas.

Donaire, who now weighs about 130 lbs, some 15 lbs removed from his original fighting weight, said he is still recovering from a hand injury sustained during the Concepcion brawl.

But he said he has been given the go-signal to report for training “in a few weeks.”

Meanwhile, he is still open for a possible team up with Manny Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach who has been suggested by Arum as the person who can help him become a better boxer.

“If Freddie has the time, it’ll happen,” said Donaire.

Donaire is one annoying prick....

Comment

Originally posted by Roxas View Post
      Donaire is one annoying prick....
      not more annoying than mayweather.

Comment

Donaire will beat up Darchinyan again.

Comment

As much as a destruction as it was, i'd like to see a rematch. Darchinyan has improved a bit since then and imo Donaire has got worse.

Comment

Too slick for Darchinyan, Vic should stay away from Donaire unless he like losing by ko. Darchinyan can't handle slick boxers, Agbeko wore the snot out of my boy Vic so bad that it hurt to watch the whole fight.

Comment

I would be a little pissed off if I was Donaire. I mean for how long was he totally unable to get a fight? During all that time Darchinyan could've challenged and he would've gotten the fight because there would be no alternatives.

But no his career still had good momentum and he still had a good amount of options.

Now Donaire finally has some momentum to his career and options are FINALLY opening up and how starts knocking on the door? Darchinyan who got starched his last fight and who's career has lost momentum.

Comment

-Nonito would KO Vic again
                -Nonito would KO Arce
                -Nonito would lose UD against Montiel

Comment

Working...
                X