Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 fighters of the last 21 years...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 fighters of the last 21 years...

Sorry but 1991 to 2011 seems kinda weird to me so I wanted to start on an even year 1990 :weed5:

1. Pernell Whitaker
    2. Roy Jones Jr.
    3. James Toney
    4. Lennox Lewis
    5. Erik Morales
    6. Manny Pac(could be surpassed by Hopkins IMO if he doesn't fight May and B-Hop beats Pascal & Dawson)
    7. Bernard Hopkins
    8. Marco Barrera
    9. Evander Holyfield
    10. Juan Manuel Marquez
    [EDITED]

I find it hard to rank Lewis/Tyson/Holyfield because I always switch them up depending upon the question. I put Lewis in front of them this time because both Tyson & Evander put in mad work in the late 80's but had inconsistent 90's. I feel like Evander doesn't get near enough credit he deserves though when it comes to all time heavyweight ranking and always found it hard to rank Tyson. Thats kind of why I put Hopkins, Barrera, Morales, and Pac in front of them because of the inconsistency. Those 4 I just mentioned I feel could get flip flopped around a lot. I like my top 3 though.

I don't know it was a hard list that I came up with rushed in like 5 minutes because I just started thinking of the topic and probably didn't think of it all the way through. So don't hate too much hahah I do feel like I might have missed somebody HUGE lmao but tell me what you think and who are yours.

*- Also would like to add I have Pac behind Morales & Barrera because Morales was pretty much almost past it in the 1st fight when he won, and then was completely done for the 2nd fights. Also the Mayweather fight no happening really hurts him like Dempsey not fighting Greb, or Johnson not rematching Langford it just puts a big black mark on your resume for not fighting the best fighter out there besides yourself. I feel like if Barrera & Morales were in that position Mayweather would have already done been fought right now.
    Last edited by $Bullsfam$; 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM.

What exactly did Mike Tyson do between 1990-2010 to consider that position? The vast majority of his best wins and prime was in the 1980's.

No Floyd Mayweather Jr in the Top 10 of the past 20 years? Why not?

Manny Pacquaio obviously needs to be higher.

The names are good but the order is all wrong IMO.

Comment

how do you barrera up there and leave jmm out
      Last edited by JAB5239; 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

You say you have Pacquiao behind Barrera & Morales because the latter was, "pretty well past-it." What's the explanation for Barrera being above Pacquiao? Head-to-head & career accolades, I have Pacquiao smoking him.

Speaking of smoking, Tyson in the top-10, for his services between 1990-2010? He would struggle to make my top-100.

Comment

First off, where's ya'lls list then?

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          What exactly did Mike Tyson do between 1990-2010 to consider that position? The vast majority of his best wins and prime was in the 1980's.

No Floyd Mayweather Jr in the Top 10 of the past 20 years? Why not?

Manny Pacquaio obviously needs to be higher.

The names are good but the order is all wrong IMO.
          Honestly Tyson was just up there for the hell of it haha thought I'd get ***** if I didn't place but turns out the opposite haha Liike I said I made this ***** in like 5mins, it was a quick impulsive thread.

Honestly Mayweather hurts his own legacy. He's easily top 5 the most talented but he don't do ***** with it. He ducked Pac(last two years and still going), Margarito(08-09), and Cotto(after the Oscar fight). Because of his "retirements". Rather fight small Hatton and small Marquez then the best at his weight class. The past few years the best welterweights have been Margarito, Cotto, Pac, and Mosley. How the **** does he only fight Mosley yet Pac fought them all? His resume below welterweight is beautiful and all but his "retirements" and lack of activity not to mention not fighting those fighters at their best.

I refuse to put Manny over Morales, but I can see him being put over Barrera because that is his best win EVER. PERIOD.

Originally posted by JAVIERNANDEZ View Post
          how the **** do you barrera up there and leave jmm out

you're obviosly blown
          How come everywhere I post your always hating? Is it because in NSB I hyped up a Puerto Rican? haha I don't give a **** about that feud I thought he was an exciting young prospect. If you even knew me as a poster before that thread and knew my old sigs Juan Manuel Marquez is easily one of the favorite fighters today only behind probably Hopkins.

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          You say you have Pacquiao behind Barrera & Morales because the latter was, "pretty well past-it." What's the explanation for Barrera being above Pacquiao? Head-to-head & career accolades, I have Pacquiao smoking him.

Speaking of smoking, Tyson in the top-10, for his services between 1990-2010? He would struggle to make my top-100.
          I actually am kind of ashamed in myself for not mentioning Marquez since he is one of my all time favorite fighters.

Tyson out, Marquez in. Edited with more thought into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
            How come everywhere I post your always hating? Is it because in NSB I hyped up a Puerto Rican? haha I don't give a **** about that feud I thought he was an exciting young prospect. If you even knew me as a poster before that thread and knew my old sigs Juan Manuel Marquez is easily one of the favorite fighters today only behind probably Hopkins.

I actually am kind of ashamed in myself for not mentioning Marquez since he is one of my all time favorite fighters.

Tyson out, Marquez in. Edited with more thought into it.
            i know who you are as a poster and i know he is one of your favorite fighters right now that's why i asked you why you have barrera up there instead of
            JMM.and i'm not hating...but yeah a lot of people are gonna disagree with you on that list.but as an opinion of yours i respect it

Comment

Honestly Tyson was just up there for the hell of it haha thought I'd get ***** if I didn't place but turns out the opposite haha Liike I said I made this ***** in like 5mins, it was a quick impulsive thread.
              It's cool. It happens.

Honestly Mayweather hurts his own legacy. He's easily top 5 the most talented but he don't do ***** with it. He ducked Pac(last two years and still going), Margarito(08-09), and Cotto(after the Oscar fight). Because of his "retirements". Rather fight small Hatton and small Marquez then the best at his weight class. The past few years the best welterweights have been Margarito, Cotto, Pac, and Mosley. How the **** does he only fight Mosley yet Pac fought them all? His resume below welterweight is beautiful and all but his "retirements" and lack of activity not to mention not fighting those fighters at their best.
              I think saying "he didn't do **** with it" is a slightly brash statement there.

I think we should consider that cleaned out the Jr Lightweight division, moved up to Lightweight and beat the best fighter at 135 twice. His stay at 140, 147 and 154 isn't amazing but let's not forget across those 3 weight classes he has beat 5 fighters that were ranked in the Top 5 in those weight classes.

Winning 4 Lineal Titles during this duration of time. Whilst being in the Top 10 P4P list every year since 1998-2008.

I find it pretty difficult to not rank him atleast in the Top 10 within the last 20 years.

Not going to address the ducking thing, it's neither here nor there. But I don't believe he ducked all of those fighters, at all. But again, it's neither here nor there.

I refuse to put Manny over Morales, but I can see him being put over Barrera because that is his best win EVER. PERIOD..
              Why? It's quite clear that Pacquaio has the much better resume than both Erik Morales and Barrera.

Comment

LMAO at Pernell Whitaker being #1 that alone make your list a joke

1.Roy Jones Jr
                2.Bernard Hopkins
                3.Marco Antonio Barrera
                4.Manny Pacquiao
                5.Lennox Lewis
                6.James Toney
                7.Tito Trinidad
                8.Rafeal Marquez
                9.Floyd Mayweather
                10.Erik Morales/Juan Manuel Marquez

Danm that was tough to do
                Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 05-16-2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

1). Manny Pacquiao - Proud el *******o of the BoxingScene forum.

2). Oscar De La Hoya - Guy made boxing popular to women. Latinas can't stop talking about Oscar back in the days especially about how good looking he was. He made me follow boxing when I was a teenager. He was the PPV King along with Mike Tyson.

3). Roy Jones Jr. - He continued the popularity of boxing within the black community. Undefeated and barely had a boring fight during his prime.

4). Prince Naseem Hamed - Guy tried to do something different in boxing especially with his theatrical entrance. He made boxing exciting before the fight even begins.

5). Mike Tyson - the Heavyweight champ who instilled fear and kept boxing in the newspapers. Guy was PPV King, so even I watched his fights.

6). Erik Morales - the man who challenged every tough fighter in his division. A true proud Mexican fighter. And I should put Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. here too. He was very popular during the 1990s then Oscar beat him - torch passed.

7). Tito Trinidad - gave Puerto Ricans in New York City in the 1990s something to brag about. I still hear them in my ears from subway to school - it was all about Tito Trinidad when it came to boxing. Posters of Trinidad vs De La Hoya were everywhere in New York City inside the subway station, the bus, and billboards.

8). Arturo Gatti/Mikey Ward - these two fought so hard that people still talk about them especially within the Caucasian boxing fan communities.

9). Sugar Shane Mosley - became a certified boxing celebrity when he beat Oscar De La Hoya. Then his steroid use became an infamous topic because it was everywhere from newspapers to the media. Oscar's face looked bright red when he said something along the lines of "forget about it." HA!

10). As a ******* - I put Floyd Mayweather Jr. here in the bottom since I never heard of him back in the 1990s and early 2000s. I only started learning his name and record in 2007 when people started writing about Oscar De La Hoya should fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Seriously, I never heard of him back then.

This list was made based on popularity not skills or what have you. I was a casual boxing fan back in the 1990s and early 2000s. I never even heard of Pernell Whitaker in all honesty until he fought Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar made me follow boxing a little bit. I was never interested in boxing other than who Oscar was going to fight next.

I became a ******* because the guy just demolishes everyone he faces or makes a fight in every fight he is in. His first fight with Erik Morales made me a fan of both boxers. When I watch the Oscar De La Hoya vs Manny Pacquiao - to me it feels like a passing of the torch because as an example instead of me following Oscar now I follow Pacquiao.

And if you grew up in New York City then some of you remember that commercial Oscar de la Hoya did for Puerto Rico the "Mi Casa, Su Casa" commercial. As a casual fan back then, for a moment I thought Oscar was Puerto Rican because of how many times it was played on air then I remembered he was a Mexican-American U.S. Olympic gold medalist.
                  Last edited by jjbj2; 05-16-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    LMAO at Pernell Whitaker being #1 that alone make your list a joke

1.Roy Jones Jr
                    2.Bernard Hopkins
                    3.Marco Antonio Barrera
                    4.Manny Pacquiao
                    5.Lennox Lewis
                    6.James Toney
                    7.Tito Trinidad
                    8.Rafeal Marquez
                    9.Floyd Mayweather
                    10.Erik Morales/Juan Manuel Marquez

Danm that was tough to do
                    rafael is above juan? WTF