No announcement yet.

Arthur's Las Vegas crew split on Guzman outcome

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur's Las Vegas crew split on Guzman outcome

EDINBURGH boxer Alex Arthur's hopes of becoming WBO super-featherweight champion have been rated 50/50 by the men helping him prepare for his May 3 clash with Joan Guzman.

Interim champion Arthur is currently training in Las Vegas ahead of his Meadowbank showdown with title holder Guzman of the Dominican Republic.

And he revealed today how his American-based sparring partners are split over whether he can snatch the title away next month.

Said Arthur: "I've now settled in fine with Irish ex-world champion Wayne McCullough and, after some hard sparring sessions with top Americans, they've revealed that they are split 50/50 on whether I will beat Guzman and take his title.

"To be truthful, some have told me, bluntly, that I won't beat him but others have told me that I can and will beat Guzman because they've never been hit with as hard a body shot as my trademark left hook to the body.

"And, even a couple of the pro-Guzman guys admitted that my left hook to the body was the kind of punch that could be decisive in helping me shock Guzman, who probably hasn't been hit by anything like it in his past fights.

"The weather has been really warm and this has helped me in my stamina training and weight regulation strategies, although I'd like to repeat there is no chance of me – after three weeks working out in the Red Rock mountains – having the weight-making problems that left me drained and listless before my fight with Steve Foster back in December when the Scottish winter cramped the style of my normal training regime.

"I won't be making that error again so Guzman better not be banking on meeting a weight and stamina-drained Alex Arthur on May 3."

alex's hopes are just that, hopes.

guzman is the man in that ring.

Comment

Guzman is a good boxer, but i dont buy into this hype thats hes some superstar boxer whos going to be the next big thing, i think alex has a chance mayby not a big chance but he definatly has a chance

Comment

KO, rd 1-5 Guzman

Comment

Originally posted by GreatJoe View Post
          KO, rd 1-5 Guzman
          You sound confident, how about we have a bet you have guzman to ko arthur from rounds 1 to 5, if he dont you take a month of the board, if he does il take a month of the board deal???

Comment

I gie AAA a very good chance in this fight. I dont get the Guzman hype, he tries to be way to cute in the ring.

Floyd sr has tried to turn an offensive fighter into his son, Guzman gets hit way to much using that philly shell defence.

Comment

I've always been a big Alex Arthur fan. The guy is rarely involved in anything other than a FOTY candidate. Also, Arthur is a great lad outside the ring, a true role model for people. I have always known that Alex is up against it in this fight. He is going to have to box the fight of his life and also hope to catch a below par Guzman. If Guzman thinks it is going to be an easy night work then he is going to get a big suprise. The arena is going to be full of screaming scotsman for a start. Secondly, I expect an early onslaught from Alex and it will interesting to see how Guzman deals with that. I see predictions on an early KO for Guzman, personally I can't see that. Maybe a late tko though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Katsidis View Post
                You sound confident, how about we have a bet you have guzman to ko arthur from rounds 1 to 5, if he dont you take a month of the board, if he does il take a month of the board deal???
                I would, but I don't know Guzman all that well.

All I can say is that i've seen AA and was none too impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Katsidis View Post
                  "And, even a couple of the pro-Guzman guys admitted that my left hook to the body was the kind of punch that could be decisive in helping me shock Guzman, who probably hasn't been hit by anything like it in his past fights.
                  Oh, way to go Arthur, just give away your game plan! You won't be surprising Guzman with that hook now.

I know most of you will say that it doesn't matter, that he's still going to get beat but I'm clinging to the hope that he doesn't travel well. He's only travelled to Europe for a fight once before when he was on Calzaghe v Miguel Angel Jimenez undercard.

I know Arthur's the underdog here but that's when us Scots are at our most ferocious!

Comment

Guzman is vastly superior but he can be lazy and Arthur is big at the weight so I wouldn't rule out Alex, but I'd be surprised if he won this one. I don't think he believes in it. He hasn't convinced me with his rhetoric, seems doubtful, overawed even.

Comment

Working...
                    X