Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 Cent Now a Boxing Promoter, Expected to Sign Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Cent Now a Boxing Promoter, Expected to Sign Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell.

In what I think is a genuinely interesting piece of news, rapper and actor Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is now a licensed boxing promoter, and has founded TMT Promotions, which is already good to go in New York and is in the process of being licensed in Nevada, according to Chris Mannix.

What makes it really interesting is that 50 Cent is expected to sign two legitimate, notable, high-end fighters in Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell. Both fighters have had recent connections to the Mayweather camp, and have trained in Mayweather's Vegas gym.

Earlier this year, Gamboa, considered the world's top featherweight, bailed on a fight against Brandon Rios, which many sources said was due to influence from the Mayweather team, though this was never "confirmed," really. He was part of Floyd's entourage for the Miguel Cotto fight in May.

In late June, Top Rank and Gamboa came to an agreement, with Top Rank dropping their lawsuit against him and the two sides mutually parting ways.

Dirrell, a top super middleweight, dumped promoter Gary Shaw and Al Haymon earlier this year, and made claims that he was ready to go on his own. That has led to nothing, as I expected, because Dirrell isn't a draw or all that well-known a fighter, despite being highly skilled. He needs a promoter, and it looks like he's found one.

This could all fail gloriously, but they said that about Golden Boy Promotions, too. Whatever you might think of 50 Cent, the guy's made a lot of money, and he's also not just a Mayweather flunky -- he has reportedly been interested in doing this for some time, and is now making the leap. I say best of luck to him. I'm really interested in seeing where this goes. It's already more legit than Mayweather Promotions has ever been.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/7/20...oa-boxing-news

http://mma-boxing.si.com/2012/07/20/...iorkis-gamboa/

The platinum selling artist, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, has founded TMT Promotions — short for "The Money Team" — which has been licensed in New York and, according to Nevada state athletic commissioner Keith Kizer, is in the process of applying for a license in Nevada.

UPDATE: The name of 50's new company is TMT, short for The Money Team.

As a former amateur boxer himself, 50 has a keen eye for talent. He has already signed gold medalist and former featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa and middleweight, and former Olympic medalist Andre Dirrell.
    Last edited by Atreyu Khalil; 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM. Reason: Typo in thread title...please change

Comment

whats it called" 50 cent promotions"?....

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Zyzz View Post
        50 is making moves.....

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
          whats it called" 50 cent promotions"?....
          The platinum selling artist, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, has founded TMT Promotions — short for The Money Team — which has been licensed in New York and, according to Nevada state athletic commissioner Keith Kizer, is in the process of applying for a license in Nevada.

Comment

If he puts time into it, it could work.

Comment

This sounds awesome, but will he somehow have the Golden Boy connection??? Otherwise, this really can fail miserably. At the same time, 50 cent's name alone, can probably bring a few extra fans.

Comment

Fitty better not mess up my dude Gamboa's career.

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
                  This sounds awesome, but will he somehow have the Golden Boy connection??? Otherwise, this really can fail miserably. At the same time, 50 cent's name alone, can probably bring a few extra fans.
                  Yes I'm sure he will have the golden boy connection....

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
                    Fitty better not mess up my dude Gamboa's career.
                    I believe there are a lot of Cubans in ny

Comment

Working...
                    X