Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welterweight champion takes the count in the ninth round.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welterweight champion takes the count in the ninth round.

Who can name the contestants in this Welterweight Title bout?
    I will award 100,000 points to the one who can.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

- The challenger, of Newyork, tonight knocked out the welterweight champion of the world. In the 9th round of a sceduled 12 round bout.

The end came after two minutes and 10 seconds from a long swing to the jaw. The veterans fought at a catch weight. The champion did not land five clean blows. The bell saved him in the sixth round, when he was knocked down three times.

The challenger, through his knock out victory, regains the title which he had lost to the champion in a bout in Dayton, Ohio. This contest went to 20 rounds and the english boxer recieved the award of referee Lou Bauman. Previously, the challenger had advanced through a process of elimination which included bouts against the leaders of his class in all parts of the country, to a position where he was universally accepted as the welterweight champion.

The champion and the challenger have been opponents in the ring on at least 20 occasions. Many of their matches have been of the no-decision variety, where one or the other recieved the popular newspaper verdict. The popular decisions were equally divided between the boxers. Their most recent local performance was at a boxing benefit held in Madison Square Garden last year for the war charities. The champion received the popular verdict in this contest and scored a clean knock down of the challenger.

The knockout will come as a complete surprise to those who are familiar with the styles of the two boxers. The challenger has never been regarded as a heavy hitter against boxers who approach him in ability. His chief offensive weapon is a snappy left hand, which he consistently employs to jab an opponent. The champion has demonstrated ability to hit harder and more effectively than the challenger. The english boxer has been noted for his effective and aggressive style.

Have fun with this one...........Rockin'

Jack Britton and Ted "Kid" Lewis?

Comment

You're probably right. Britton definitely wasn't known for power.

Comment

How'd you get that so easily? Good job, I deposited the 100,000 in your account.

I found this old book of nothing but old newspaper reports at an old book store. Its 100% boxing and its a really neat thing to look through. I thought I would try a quiz with you guys but Dingus showed me that you cant pull one over on you guys. Good jopb Dingus.........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          Who can name the contestants in this Welterweight Title bout?
          I will award 100,000 points to the one who can.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------

- The challenger, of Newyork, tonight knocked out the welterweight champion of the world. In the 9th round of a sceduled 12 round bout.

The end came after two minutes and 10 seconds from a long swing to the jaw. The veterans fought at a catch weight. The champion did not land five clean blows. The bell saved him in the sixth round, when he was knocked down three times.

The challenger, through his knock out victory, regains the title which he had lost to the champion in a bout in Dayton, Ohio. This contest went to 20 rounds and the english boxer recieved the award of referee Lou Bauman. Previously, the challenger had advanced through a process of elimination which included bouts against the leaders of his class in all parts of the country, to a position where he was universally accepted as the welterweight champion.

The champion and the challenger have been opponents in the ring on at least 20 occasions. Many of their matches have been of the no-decision variety, where one or the other recieved the popular newspaper verdict. The popular decisions were equally divided between the boxers. Their most recent local performance was at a boxing benefit held in Madison Square Garden last year for the war charities. The champion received the popular verdict in this contest and scored a clean knock down of the challenger.

The knockout will come as a complete surprise to those who are familiar with the styles of the two boxers. The challenger has never been regarded as a heavy hitter against boxers who approach him in ability. His chief offensive weapon is a snappy left hand, which he consistently employs to jab an opponent. The champion has demonstrated ability to hit harder and more effectively than the challenger. The english boxer has been noted for his effective and aggressive style.

Have fun with this one...........Rockin'
          - -Rockin' been rockin' for a long while...
          Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- -Rockin' been rockin' for a long while...
            Too long.......... I believe that I have sustained more damage to my brain in these forums than I ever did in a ring fightin'. ......................Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 09-05-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

How'd you get that so easily? Good job, I deposited the 100,000 in your account.

I found this old book of nothing but old newspaper reports at an old book store. Its 100% boxing and its a really neat thing to look through. I thought I would try a quiz with you guys but Dingus showed me that you cant pull one over on you guys. Good jopb Dingus.........Rockin'
              It comes up pretty fast with a Google search...

Comment

Too long.......... I believe that I have sustained more damage to my brain in these forums than I ever did in a ring fightin'. ......................Rockin'
                At least the real Rockin is back.
                Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by markusmod View Post

At least the real Rockin is back.
                  Yea, I can verify we have the real Rockin back.

Comment

Working...
                  X